Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

The Silver Age stuff will never happen; none of it is a universal "brand" like Looney Tunes, and hell, it took CN long enough to even pay WB for the rights to that again anyway.

Everything else is fair game, though. It'd be a much more ideal use of Boomerang if they pulled off something like this; the channel is an old, dusty relic in its current state as it is. Time for a revamp, I'd say.

Avaitor

I think this would be a cool block, but I'd put it earlier. There's not as much of a market for the 90's HB shows as there are for 90's Nick or the Cartoon Cartoons, nor is Boom as easily accessible as TeenNick. I think putting a block like this up against The 90's Are All That would be a suicide trip, even if there is a big demand for it.

I think primetime would work for this block. Boom has no originals, so they don't have anything better to put in that time other than the billionth repeats of Flintstones and Scooby. I'd also like to see Disney try something like this again, like Vault Disney with DA stuff added in.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Ah, that image is a thing of beauty. I still remember the big 10th anniversary celebration they did back in 2002. Lot of fun, back in those days.

The 20th anniversary is on the way next year... although I have my doubts with this skeleton crew that they'll acknowledge it. The general attitude in entertainment these days (when it comes to milestone anniversaries) is that the current viewing audience and key demographics of the network in question don't care how said network was 10/20/30 years ago... therefore, these things generally go unnoticed. Nickelodeon and MTV both celebrated 30th anniversaries fairly recently, and both came with little fanfare whatsoever. While CN does have a different corporate overlord in its corner (Turner/Time Warner, as opposed to Viacom), I doubt that fact will make little difference.

Oh well. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Avaitor

Nick celebrated it's 30th? I don't remember seeing anything for it at all.

I think there's a possibility that CN might do something next year. There's a recent influx of 90's nostalgia, and the TeenNick block is proof that there's a big market for it. If Turner doesn't try to cash in on that soon, they might try to by that point if there still seems to be a lot of interest in bringing back nostalgia. And it's not like CN is completely blind to there being a demand for their older stuff. Hell, 2 Stupid Dogs has been airing on the channel for close to a month now.

Not sure what they'd do, though. If CN would air like a "best-of" package of all of their most popular and beloved series which they still own the rights to, make another bumper like they did for the 10th, or even less then that.

If I was in charge, I'd pull Robert Osbourne or even like Jerry Beck or someone over to host the channel for a day or two and kick off [as] for the night, or at least pre-empt the block by an hour or two. And I'd air a few episodes of some of their most beloved stuff, ideally the Looney Tunes Tom & Jerry, Tex Avery Show, Scooby-Doo, Flintstones, Dexter's Lab, PPG, Ed's, and maybe Ben 10 or something, with opening and closings getting into the history and merit of these cartoons and their impact on the network. Also add in The Iron Giant for good measure.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on August 12, 2011, 07:08:28 PM
Nick celebrated it's 30th? I don't remember seeing anything for it at all.
I probably should have worded that better. What I meant was, Nick turned 30 years old fairly recently (in 2009), yet didn't celebrate the occasion at all. Same goes for MTV, which turned 30 mere days ago... and on the day of, ran a Jersey Shore marathon.  :whuh:

I suppose there's a better chance CN will do something, but I'll believe it when I see it. For obvious reasons, I don't trust Snyder/Sorcher with this kind of project.

Avaitor

For some reason, VH1 Classic celebrates MTV's anniversaries better than MTV itself does. Like during their 25th anniversary in 2006, they reaired the first 24 hours of the channel, and this year, they did a weekend full of classic MTV shows, videos, and interstals. I caught a little of that this year, and saw VH1C air some of the original Real World. Didn't stick around for much more, though.

But yeah, MTV really should have done that, and Nick did absolutely nothing for it's 30th. And who knows what CN's going to do.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on August 12, 2011, 08:24:35 PM
For some reason, VH1 Classic celebrates MTV's anniversaries better than MTV itself does. Like during their 25th anniversary in 2006, they reaired the first 24 hours of the channel, and this year, they did a weekend full of classic MTV shows, videos, and interstals. I caught a little of that this year, and saw VH1C air some of the original Real World. Didn't stick around for much more, though.

But yeah, MTV really should have done that, and Nick did absolutely nothing for it's 30th. And who knows what CN's going to do.
That is so sad. Why do all Nostalgia threads turn into Depressionthreads?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Remembering the past reminds us of how old we are? I dunno.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Probably that "things aren't as good as they used to be", I'd assume.

In some cases it's true, in some it's not.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, I've grown sick of nostalgia. I'm more into progression than stagnancy nowadays. Sure, the shows I grew up with in the 90s are awesome, but I also find myself enjoying and anticipating many of the series we have here in the 10s.

Spark Of Spirit

I think it's important to maintain a balance between the past and the present while moving forward. It's the best way to get the most out of everything, I feel.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I kind of swing both ways, maybe a little more on the nostalgic side. While I still find plenty of cool new shows to watch, I still feel the need to pull out one of my favorite DVDs and watch The 90's Are All That every night.

I do agree with Desen, myself.

New blog!

Commode

I don't really understand the thought that channels should do all out celebrations for their anniversaries personally.  I mean, for all the channels there are, how many of them regularly do that?  How long has CBS and NBC been around, and aside from mentioning the anniversaries in ads and maybe in the on-screen bug, there's really nothing else done; they certainly don't play old shows like I Love Lucy or something for the occasion.

Granted, cable is full of channels that are more cultish than the big broadcasts(CN, Nick, MTV, Comedy Central, SyFy...), but I still don't understand the notion that these channels are somehow obligated to rerun their old shows for the occasion.  Little mentions of the occasion would be nice, but really that block on Teen Nick is a lot more than I feel they had to do.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on August 13, 2011, 09:42:20 PM
Probably that "things aren't as good as they used to be", I'd assume.

In some cases it's true, in some it's not.
for me, pretty much everything was better. Not just nostalgia speaking, I have the same basic taste as I did as a kid.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody