Resident Evil: A thread for the undead!

Started by Eddy, April 10, 2012, 09:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

The changes Wesker went through are just odd. In CV he is clearly beyond pissed off at Chris for ruining his plans in RE1 and he seems to despise the fact that he lost his humanity. But in UC it seems like he could care less, and he seems to see his loss of humanity as a blessing to become "something more". His perspective in the two games just seem completely different.

He even sounds like a little child in the original RE1, and the sunglasses don't help... Yeah let's face it, they gave him those sunglasses to make him look cool, but this idea is just laughably stupid to have a guy wear those at all times. I've noticed in REmake that his eyes seem to be white, which is a decent and rather creepy way to justify the shades.

I also think it is funny in the original game how he's constantly talking about how he must obey Umbrella, and then says to Chris that he no longer is with them. Might be the worst moment of that game's script. :lol:

Foggle

I think UC has the worst storyline ever put into a video game. Not only does it make no sense, it completely fucks up the canon established by 6 previous games. And since Capcom is somehow under the impression that people actually liked that shit (granted, I've seen people who do...), now every single RE plot has to be convoluted as hell.

I mean, I understand that they had to find some way to make sense of all the retcons added to the previous games, but they just went about it in such a stupid way. And I know a lot of RE fans hated the "Umbrella's stock prices crashed" thing (for good reason), but even that is preferable to what occurred in UC from a writing standpoint.

talonmalon333

Hey Foggle, here's something else I've thought about.

In RE1, you know how you have Chris' scenario, and then you have Jill's scenario? What I mean is, they are completely separate stories. Unlike RE2 with ClaireA/LeonB, RE1 doesn't clarify a true canon version of the game's story.

Being that the games have come to recognize the "true story" as essentially a hybrid of both Chris and Jill's stories, have you ever wondered what parts of each scenario are canon, and what aren't? And which character might've faced what event or location?

Foggle

I've thought about it, but never in any detail. I assume Jill was investigating the mansion while Chris was off in the guardhouse and catacombs, then they met up again after entering the lab.

talonmalon333

You know what's needed? A PC port of RE4... A good port.

They should actually do that.

Daikun

Eddy

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 10, 2013, 12:04:43 PM
You know what's needed? A PC port of RE4... A good port.

They should actually do that.
This actually exists now, if you're still interested. They just recently released RE4 on the PC in HD with 60 FPS and everything.

talonmalon333

Hey Foggle, you remember the dude in Umbrella Chronicles? The Russian villain who thought he was as good a villain as Nicholai (but really wasn't), and messed up the story of RE1 by being present in the mansion during it?

Didn't the game state that all the Tyrants were actually clones of him, rather than real people? What did you think of that?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 08, 2014, 07:12:43 PM
Hey Foggle, you remember the dude in Umbrella Chronicles? The Russian villain who thought he was as good a villain as Nicholai (but really wasn't), and messed up the story of RE1 by being present in the mansion during it?

Didn't the game state that all the Tyrants were actually clones of him, rather than real people? What did you think of that?
I'd rather forget about it. I prefer not to think of anything made after RE4 as canon.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 13, 2014, 10:33:07 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 08, 2014, 07:12:43 PM

I'd rather forget about it. I prefer not to think of anything made after RE4 as canon.

Don't you like RE5's "brilliant" conclusion to all the story threads from RE 1-4?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 13, 2014, 10:34:32 PM
Don't you like RE5's "brilliant" conclusion to all the story threads from RE 1-4?
Yes, it was so obviously planned out from day 1. So much foreshadowing in the previous games. Truly, Resident Evil's narrative puts The Wire to shame.

talonmalon333

I especially like how they revealed that the B.O.W. was created to push evolution in the human race and create a new world with Umbrella's founder becoming its god, even though earlier games already gave a fine explanation to them saying that they were created as biological weapons, hence the name B.O.W.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/08/resident-evil-remake-will-itself-get-remade-in-hd/

On the one hand, it's a remake of a remake, which is hilariously silly. On the other hand, I'll finally get to play this game, so I can't really complain.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, reading a but more into it, this game will feature two control types. The first is the traditional tank controls that veteran players will love. The second option will allow for easier movement with the analogue stick, and I believe will also feature all new camera angles that are still cinematic but don't obscure your vision as much (so, someone like Desensitized literally has no excuse to no try this game, anymore).

As for me, I'll probably play the game with tank controls on my first playthrough to get a more authentic experience, and then switch to the new control scheme for every playthrough after that. I hope that Capcom doesn't screw this up, but their previous HD ports have all been fine, so I have no reason to think that they will. I just pray that people support this game in terms of sales, so that way they may be inclined to HD port 2, 3, and 0, which would be amazing. I know I can play 2 and 3 on my PS2, but I would need to buy a Wii or GC to play 0, so an HD port of that would be nice.

I would've already tried Code Veronica: X, which already has an HD port, but Foggle advised me not to get into that as my first classic RE experience.

Spark Of Spirit

I do, because it's not coming to the Wii U.  :(

Though maybe I'll pick it up on PS3. We'll see.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton