Super Smash Bros.

Started by Spark Of Spirit, April 28, 2012, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Wolf is my favorite of the SF trio to use, unreliable recovery moves aside. His moves always felt satisfying whenever they landed. Just give him his Wolfen this time.

Spark Of Spirit

Do the same people who think Pac-Man would fit in a game about Nintendo history also think characters like Big Daddy were a good idea for Playstation All-Stars?

Last I heard this game was about Nintendo history and not putting in "icons" for the sake of having them. Not to mention that Sakurai said Namco will have no special treatment when it comes to characters.

I don't even care if he's in, but I have yet to see a reasonable explanation outside of the fact that he's an icon which should guarantee him a slot regardless.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I wouldn't mind Pac-Man, though there are other Bamco characters I also wouldn't mind getting in over him (especially if Banpresto counts as a part of Bamco).

LumRanmaYasha

I'm rather indifferent to Pac-Man. I'm sure I'd enjoy playing as him if he were included, but I also think that just because a character is "iconic" doesn't mean it's appropriate to be included, and really, only those that are really relevant to Nintendo's history like Sonic should be in the game.

I'm still wondering if Snake will be back in the game. I thought he felt out of place in Brawl, but he was a rather fun character to use, so I wouldn't mind him returning.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 24, 2014, 11:44:58 AM
Do the same people who think Pac-Man would fit in a game about Nintendo history also think characters like Big Daddy were a good idea for Playstation All-Stars?

Last I heard this game was about Nintendo history and not putting in "icons" for the sake of having them. Not to mention that Sakurai said Namco will have no special treatment when it comes to characters.

I don't even care if he's in, but I have yet to see a reasonable explanation outside of the fact that he's an icon which should guarantee him a slot regardless.
Huh? They have non-Nintendo characters already and Pac-Man is one of the most popular non-Nintendo characters. How can you even pretend this is logic?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 25, 2014, 03:51:30 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 24, 2014, 11:44:58 AM

Huh? They have non-Nintendo characters already and Pac-Man is one of the most popular non-Nintendo characters. How can you even pretend this is logic?
Sonic The Hedgehog is important to Nintendo history, Mega Man is important to Nintendo history. Pac-Man is not.

If we're going on the "icon" argument alone, then Pitfall Harry, Space Invaders, and Billy and Jimmy Lee make far more sense and have just as much right. Yet, nobody is suggesting them. Why not?

The only reason they're suggesting him is the same reason Sakurai said it won't happen. That being Namco is co-developing the game even though Sakurai said it doesn't mean they get preferential treatment in regard to characters.

So, no, I need a reason Pac-Man should be in the game over other characters. I have never gotten anything other than a vague "Icon" argument that falls apart at every turn and nothing else.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Meanwhile there are people wasting their time doing this:

Yeesh.  :??:

gunswordfist

Is Snake more important to Nintendo history? Pac-Man is far more popular and more people have played a Pac-Man game on a Nintendo system than any game with Snake in it on a Nintendo console. Mega Man makes more sense than Snake so going by your logic, he should have been in Smash before Snake, right? Plus Pac-Man is more popular than any character you just named. I don't care if Pac-Man is in the game or not. Saying he shouldn't be in the game because he's not part of Nintendo history is senseless though because they have had at least one character that has even less to do with Nintendo history than him. I think you are just annoyed that people are demanding Pac-Man and tried to pass off what you said as logic that you hope others agree with.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 25, 2014, 04:21:00 PM
Is Snake more important to Nintendo history? Pac-Man is far more popular and more people have played a Pac-Man game on a Nintendo system than any game with Snake in it on a Nintendo console. Mega Man makes more sense than Snake so going by your logic, he should have been in Smash before Snake, right? Plus Pac-Man is more popular than any character you just named. I don't care if Pac-Man is in the game or not. Saying he shouldn't be in the game because he's not part of Nintendo history is senseless though because they have had at least one character that has even less to do with Nintendo history than him. I think you are just annoyed that people are demanding Pac-Man and tried to pass off what you said as logic that you hope others agree with.
Snake was only in because Kojima asked. He's not in this game. Why do you think that is, and why do you think nobody seems to care when everybody seemed to want Sonic back so bad instead? It certainly wasn't because Sonic was a better character, Snake is higher on the tier list, so what reason? Because he has something to do with Nintendo history.

Mega Man should have been in Smash Bros. before now, but Capcom didn't ask Nintendo and Nintendo didn't ask Capcom. If you didn't notice, there's a reason why he was the first character shown in the very first announcement of the new game.

I don't care if Pac-Man is in the game, either, but he is not more important to gaming than any character I listed. Pitfall Harry invented the platformer, Space Invaders is still iconic and arguably a bigger game than Pac-Man ever was, and Billy and Jimmy Lee invented the genre you and Ensatsu-ken are always throttling each other over. Pac-Man is not more important than any of them, and you have not produced any proof as to how he is other than another vague "He's an icon" argument. His last game even bombed.

In the future, I would appreciate an actual argument not centered around discrediting the person posting the query as a way to dodge legitimate discussion, by the way. To make the argument solely about me, you get to throw the argument away and not have to discuss anything. The fact of the matter is there is nothing about Pac-Man to put him above any character that can get into the game. If Snake is your best argument, it is a bad one as has already been shown. Please keep it focused on how he should be included over anything I mentioned.

By the way, if you're arguing against Smash Bros. being about Nintendo history, I can't imagine you've played much of it. The characters, stages, items, trophies, music, and assist trophies all say otherwise.

Avaitor

Does anyone even care about any Pac-Man games besides the original and Mrs?

Well, I heard that Vs. on the Gamecube was pretty good, but I never got around to playing that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 25, 2014, 04:47:14 PM
Does anyone even care about any Pac-Man games besides the original and Mrs?

Well, I heard that Vs. on the Gamecube was pretty good, but I never got around to playing that.
He's had some decent games and some good ones like Championship Edition and Vs.

My only argument is that the reasons for his inclusion over any other character are vague or because Namco is co-developing. I honestly don't care if they put him in or not, but, like Snake, I can't imagine the fanbase caring if he isn't included in the next one.

gunswordfist

Um, yes he is. Popularity trumps all of that. Which would sell more? A game with Pitfall Harry or a game with Pac-Man in it? It's obvious.

And should I go by your logic and get on you mentioning ek throttling something?  :D I just called it how I see it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 25, 2014, 04:53:40 PM
Um, yes he is. Popularity trumps all of that. Which would sell more? A game with Pitfall Harry or a game with Pac-Man in it? It's obvious.
How is Pac-Man more popular than Space Invaders?

Which game will sell more? Definitely not the last Pac-Man game which is already in the bargain bin.  ;)

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 25, 2014, 04:53:40 PMAnd should I go by your logic and get on you mentioning ek throttling something?  :D I just called it how I see it.
If you want to throttle Ensatsu-ken, just send him a PM. This is a family friendly board, right Foggle?

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 25, 2014, 04:08:34 PM
Meanwhile there are people wasting their time doing this:

Yeesh.  :??:

This roster makes the game look more like an update of Brawl rather than a full-on sequel.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on April 25, 2014, 04:57:30 PMThis roster makes the game look more like an update of Brawl rather than a full-on sequel.
It would actually be a downgrade, too. There are 39 characters there and there were 40 (including transformations) in Brawl.

Though on the plus side, I'm fairly certain those 39 will be in the game, anyway. The question is who the last 6-11 characters will be.