"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Ah, so it looks like it is playing tonight, right as I'll be in town for a job fair. I'll have to make a point of going afterwards; definitely worth seeing again.

Avaitor

Yep, it's as great as ever. :thumbup:

Although it really does prove that Iron Man 2 was useless. Despite all the build-up to Avengers in it, all the film equated to here was a couple of throwaway references. Even The Incredible Hulk had more importance, and it didn't even keep the same actor as Banner.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I've been in the mood to watch it again, and there's one little bit that really stands out to me.

When Bruce Banner and Natasha are in the hut in Calcutta, check out when Banner says "Well I don't every time get what I want", and see what he's doing. Poor Hulk can't be a daddy.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

I finally watched it! It was good, but it didn't really wow me outside of the final act. The battle scenes with the not-Skrulls were excellent and it definitely had its share of great moments sprinkled throughout, but I found the plot itself lacking and many of the scenes downright boring. The dialogue and characterization didn't impress me much either; I expected better from Joss Whedon. But all in all, I liked the movie a fair bit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The movie is much better coming off of the films leading up to it. It doesn't really mean as much watching it as a stand-alone film, admittedly. I do agree though that the plot is nothing special, but its simple enough to have more focus on the characters than the story, which I was personally glad about as we only needed a basic story for this movie, anyways.

As for boring scenes....you sure have a strange definition of boring. If nothing else, the movie was just flat-out fun. :sly:

Foggle

I dunno, I found a lot of the conversations between characters unexciting... and while that might have partially been because I've only seen the Iron Man films, I found the majority of the non-quip dialogue pretty dry in general. I agree that it's a fun movie, especially in the final act, but I also think it ran about 20-30 minutes too long.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 14, 2012, 02:48:32 AM
I dunno, I found a lot of the conversations between characters unexciting... and while that might have partially been because I've only seen the Iron Man films, I found the majority of the non-quip dialogue pretty dry in general. I agree that it's a fun movie, especially in the final act, but I also think it ran about 20-30 minutes too long.

What you said pretty much describes Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises in a nutshell. :bleh:

No, but seriously, I can't think of a single moment in the movie that I found to be boring. And naturally my opinion is undisputedly correct, as always. :>

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 14, 2012, 03:04:51 AM
What you said pretty much describes Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises in a nutshell. :bleh:
:srs:

Avaitor

Yeah, I didn't really find any of it boring. I can understand that you'd expect the movie to be a little more quip-heavy, considering Whedon's typical writing, but he wisely cut down on jokes like that and saved them for the characters who would speak like one of his characters, like Tony. Cap, Thor and the others have sharp lines too, but he finds sharper ways to use them.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I still think the characters bickered too much.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Eh, humans are so very petty. And tiny.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on December 14, 2012, 10:12:55 AM
Yeah, I didn't really find any of it boring. I can understand that you'd expect the movie to be a little more quip-heavy, considering Whedon's typical writing, but he wisely cut down on jokes like that and saved them for the characters who would speak like one of his characters, like Tony. Cap, Thor and the others have sharp lines too, but he finds sharper ways to use them.
You probably need to actually care about the characters to enjoy this movie for more than just the action scenes. But the only ones I like at all are Iron Man and Nick Fury (Black Widow was cool too, I suppose).

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 14, 2012, 10:26:57 AM
I still think the characters bickered too much.
Yeah, I agree. Note for the sequel: more flying metal space whales, less superhero bickering!

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on December 14, 2012, 11:50:48 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on December 14, 2012, 10:12:55 AM
You probably need to actually care about the characters to enjoy this movie for more than just the action scenes. But the only ones I like at all are Iron Man and Nick Fury (Black Widow was cool too, I suppose).
Yeah, I get that. It's kind of hard to get into the other characters if you haven't seen their movies.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 14, 2012, 11:50:48 AM

Fuck you. :anger:

Captain America >>>>>>>>>>> Iron Man

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 14, 2012, 10:26:57 AM
Yeah, I agree. Note for the sequel: more flying metal space whales, less superhero bickering!

Uh, That's kind of the point. Much like an old Greek or Roman epic, the "heroes" in this Universe all have huge egos, so they aren't supposed to get along too well. Its a very basic and old kind of story of heroes who are on the same side yet initially look down on the others for various reasons. Its a predictable formula but it works well for this movie in which its basically a group of the world's strongest heroes forcing themselves to cooperate to fight a greater evil. Its not like the X-Men where they are used to working as a team, as most of these guys operate individually on a regular basis, so clashing with the egos of other heroes who works the same way is what causes turmoil among them and they have to force themselves to work like a team, which is where the pay-off comes in the ending. Its basically meant to be one of the most simple tales just escalated to epic proportions.

Foggle

That may be the point, but there still wasn't a high enough flying metal space whale to superhero bickering ratio for my taste. :P