"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I liked The Incredible Hulk. Not as much as Iron Man 1, Thor, or Captain America, but I really liked Edward Norton as Bruce. I should probably rewatch it though, since I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Aside from Iron Man, I haven't any of the Marvel movies since they were in theaters. Maybe I should fix that.

And I should also read some of the comics (not the recent ones, because Bendis and all that).

Lord Dalek

RANKINGS

1. Thor
2. The Avengers
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Incredible Hulk
6. Iron Man 2

DISCUSS

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, this movie has kind of gotten me interested in "trying" to pursue some of the comics again. I'd be up for reading any good and reasonably affordable compilation volumes any of the main Marvel superheroes (preferably ones that tell the best stories, of course), if anyone has any good recommendations. Yeah, I know I usually don't end up getting the comics, but I swear I'll get into them eventually. I just need to get a job this summer so I have money to spend on stuff like comics. Now that my Pharm Tech license has finally come in, I should get cracking on that. :sly:

Oh yeah, if anyone can let me know about who that character was in the middle of the end credits (possibly through PM to avoid spoilers for others), that'd be great. I'm really curious, and now I just HAVE to know.

Avaitor

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 05, 2012, 12:19:30 AM
RANKINGS

1. Thor
2. The Avengers
3. Iron Man
5. Incredible Hulk
6. Iron Man 2

DISCUSS
Flip the top 2, and that's my own ranking.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 05, 2012, 12:19:33 AM
Yeah, this movie has kind of gotten me interested in "trying" to pursue some of the comics again. I'd be up for reading any good and reasonably affordable compilation volumes any of the main Marvel superheroes (preferably ones that tell the best stories, of course), if anyone has any good recommendations. Yeah, I know I usually don't end up getting the comics, but I swear I'll get into them eventually. I just need to get a job this summer so I have money to spend on stuff like comics. Now that my Pharm Tech license has finally come in, I should get cracking on that. :sly:

Oh yeah, if anyone can let me know about who that character was in the middle of the end credits (possibly through PM to avoid spoilers for others), that'd be great. I'm really curious, and now I just HAVE to know.
For both questions, find a book called The Infinity Gauntlet.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 05, 2012, 12:19:30 AM
RANKINGS

1. Thor
2. The Avengers
3. Iron Man
5. Incredible Hulk
6. Iron Man 2

DISCUSS

I can understand those rankings, myself. As for me, it'd probably go:

Great:
1. Iron Man (only because I've seen it the most)
2. The Avengers (this may become my favorite if I see it again, and a few more times after that)
3. Captain America: The First Avenger (I still need to watch this a second time, but I liked it a lot)

Good:
4. Thor (I really do like this film, and it was much better than I was expecting, but I just wouldn't call it great, myself)
5. the Incredible Hulk (Not as good as the other films, but its entertaining, and it held my interest, so I still enjoy it)

Meh:
6. Iron Man 2 (The only one of these movies I just don't really like; hopefully Iron Man 3 capitalizes on what the first film did right)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 05, 2012, 12:22:18 AM

This one?

Foggle

Of the ones I've seen:

1. Iron Man
2. Incredible Hulk
3. Iron Man 2
4. A distended rectum
5. Hulk

Dr. Insomniac

Iron Man
The Avengers
Captain America
Thor
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 05, 2012, 12:29:37 AM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 05, 2012, 12:22:18 AM

This one?

Yes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

What do you know, Dr. Insomniac? You and me both have the same exact list. I guess there is someone on this board who has taste as good as mine, after all. :sly:

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 05, 2012, 12:30:17 AM
Yes.

Got'cha. :thumbup:

Lord Dalek

I flat out hated Iron Man 2. Found it boring and morbidly depressing. Yeah I know Tony has issue but it shouldn't be that hamfisted an execution. Also who gives a shit about Whiplash? The film sure as hell didn't.

Hulk at least had the Abomination.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Iron Man 2 was one of those films I was in denial about when I first saw it. Honestly, it just didn't hold my interest that much, but for some reason I just forcibly convinced myself that it was a decent film, and maybe for some people it was. However, upon re-watching it not once, but two times, I can safely say that (to me) its just a disappointing follow-up to such a great first film, and even looking at it on its own, it just doesn't hold up. It seems way too focused on too many different things, or rather, it just doesn't seem focused at all.

To be clear, I didn't flat-out hate it like Lord Dalek (it takes a lot for me to actually "hate" something, even a movie), but I just don't like it at all. Its not really my type of film, to say the least.

Avaitor

I still think that they should have at least cut out the Tony dying subplot, since we all knew that he was going to be in Avengers, which would ruin the suspense.

Although I will say that like The Incredible Hulk, I haven't seen it since it was in theaters. Since it's the only one on instant queue, I'll probably change that this weekend.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be honest, aside from both Iron Man movies, I haven't seen any of the other Avengers-related movies since they were in theaters, myself. Like others have said, "I need to change that."