"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I plan on watching Cap, Thor, and Iron Man (again) before seeing Avengers. Probably won't give Incredible Hulk a repeat viewing, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, you should definitely see Captain America. Its not essential viewing for watching The Avengers (as I said, Thor is the only film I think you should definitely see before watching The Avengers), but whenever you get a chance its really worth checking out. Even though I ranked Iron Man 1 above it, I really do think its the best of the Avengers-related movies next to The Avengers itself. I just feel as though I can't rank it above Iron Man until I see it at least once more to see how well it holds up on a repeat viewing. Really, though, even seeing it once was enough for me to realize what a great movie it is.

Dr. Insomniac

I recall really liking the dialogue in Captain America. Felt very Buffy-ish.

Avaitor

This post talks a little regarding what we know about the upcoming films, and what could possibly happen in them. It's a very interesting read, and gets informative with Marvel and Avengers lore for those not well-versed in it, like EK.

I don't know if we'll get to registering in the movies, since Iron Man, Hulk and I think Captain America are already public, Thor doesn't have an alter ego (although I think he might make one in the sequel; he already took Donald Blake's name once in the first, so they might stick with that), and Black Widow and Hawkeye are already agents for SHIELD. At the same time though, the main reason Maria Hill exists was to get the heroes to register in the comics, and they're already doing that in the cartoon, so they might go with that here. It could go either way, but I'd honestly prefer if they don't, since that really fucked up the Marvel Universe.

Also, one thing that the article forgot to mention is that Coulson may not actually be dead. Whedon's hinted towards that being a very likely possibility.

Edit: And it's funny, my uncle and I were talking about characters that they could bring into the next one. and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch did come to mind, but they probably wouldn't happen. It'd take too much effort to bring the X-Men into this universe, and I'm honestly not sure if Ian McKellen would still be able to play Magneto by the time we get to that point, since you have to find a way to acknowledge their history. Not to mention that they didn't bring Pietro and Wanda into the X-Men movies, so they might need another one to establish them.

And considering how intense Scarlet Witch can get, she might end up becoming the centerpiece of the whole movie, over Thanos or whoever else they go with.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Daxdiv

Saw the movie again, this time in 3D. The effects were decent in 3D. The film still holds up. Dark Knight Rises has some big shoes to fill with this film.

This time, I did stay for the shawarma. It was neat a little scene, didn't add much to the film but I just loved how average the scene was.

Dr. Insomniac

QuoteThis time, I did stay for the shawarma. It was neat a little scene, didn't add much to the film but I just loved how average the scene was.
That was the most Whedonesque scene of the entire movie.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 08, 2012, 09:23:19 PM
QuoteThis time, I did stay for the shawarma. It was neat a little scene, didn't add much to the film but I just loved how average the scene was.
That was the most Whedonesque scene of the entire movie.
It was a nice play against the other stingers from the other Marvel films before this. While I wouldn't want to see it again in another film, it worked here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

My friends and I are gonna try some shawarma latter this week.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, I was thinking about the film, and there's one thing that kind of bothers me. Remember how Thor takes Loki around the earlier half of the film to get the location of the Tesseract from him and also drag him back to Asgard? While talking with Loki, Iron Man rams into Thor and then they start fighting each other until Captain America intervenes. During all of this time Loki is just completely free to go, since nobody is there to stop him from doing anything. Now, I know that he wanted to be caught by them since it was part of his plans, but if he just stayed there and didn't even try to run wouldn't that just pretty much give him away? Then again, they seemed to know that he was planning something but had to keep him locked up regardless, but how awkward must it have been for him to get caught again while not trying to resist with force or even run away? I'm guessing they skipped that scene for a reason. Its just a really awkward scenario when you stop to think about it.

At any rate, that's not really a plot-hole since it can be explained, but one thing that bugs me about the movie that I can't find an explanation for his how the hell Bruce Banner knew where the hell to find and meet up with the rest of the team during the final battle in the movie. I mean, I never saw any way he could have contacted any of them in particular to find out where they were in the city, and its not like New York is exactly a small place, so I found it kind of awkward that he just casually stumbles upon them when most of them happened to already be grouped into one location. Its not a big complaint since it allows some awesome scenes to finally commence when him present, but it really doesn't make much sense to me when I stop to think about it.

Goldstar

The Avengers was a good movie, and I rarely say that about movies. The build ups to this movie were brilliant. Everyone played their parts well. The characters' contrasting personalities and attitudes meshed very well together. I didn't expect to care about Hawkeye or Black Widow very much (if at all), but I did. It would have been nice to have gotten Ms. Marvel, but Marvel would likely have wanted to set her up with a solo movie or at least have her featured prominently in a Captain Marvel solo movie before putting her with The Avengers.

Perhaps sometime in the year 2030 or 2040, we'll be talking about the Justice League movie, although at this point I'd settle for a Superman/Batman team-up or a Wonder Woman movie.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 08:04:33 PM
You know, I was thinking about the film, and there's one thing that kind of bothers me. Remember how Thor takes Loki around the earlier half of the film to get the location of the Tesseract from him and also drag him back to Asgard? While talking with Loki, Iron Man rams into Thor and then they start fighting each other until Captain America intervenes. During all of this time Loki is just completely free to go, since nobody is there to stop him from doing anything. Now, I know that he wanted to be caught by them since it was part of his plans, but if he just stayed there and didn't even try to run wouldn't that just pretty much give him away? Then again, they seemed to know that he was planning something but had to keep him locked up regardless, but how awkward must it have been for him to get caught again while not trying to resist with force or even run away? I'm guessing they skipped that scene for a reason. Its just a really awkward scenario when you stop to think about it.
One thing I noticed during this scene the second time I saw the film is that Loki is just totally enjoying the fight. Watch his expression- it's like he's a Caesar watching gladiator fights. You can tell that he's loving.

That, and yeah, Loki wanted to be captured by the Avengers, so he could enrage and control the Hulk to his whim.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 08:04:33 PMAt any rate, that's not really a plot-hole since it can be explained, but one thing that bugs me about the movie that I can't find an explanation for his how the hell Bruce Banner knew where the hell to find and meet up with the rest of the team during the final battle in the movie. I mean, I never saw any way he could have contacted any of them in particular to find out where they were in the city, and its not like New York is exactly a small place, so I found it kind of awkward that he just casually stumbles upon them when most of them happened to already be grouped into one location. Its not a big complaint since it allows some awesome scenes to finally commence when him present, but it really doesn't make much sense to me when I stop to think about it.
That I think was sheer storytelling coincidence. A cheap method, but nothing worth arguing about.

One thing I still don't get myself comes back from Thor- the ending, rather. Did it take place before or after the movie? Because we see Loki return to Earth for the first time since the last year in the beginning of The Avengers, so I just wonder when he impersonated Selvig. If it was before he and Thor came to Earth, how did he know who Selvig was, if it was during, at what time did Fury show up and did Loki get the time to meet up with him, and there isn't a logical way for it to happen after he and Thor returned to Asgard.

Quote from: Goldstar on May 10, 2012, 09:14:41 PM
It would have been nice to have gotten Ms. Marvel, but Marvel would likely have wanted to set her up with a solo movie or at least have her featured prominently in a Captain Marvel solo movie before putting her with The Avengers.
There's a lot of characters they could have added in, but I don't think that Marvel wanted to over-saturate the film with heroes. Ms. Marvel would've been a good choice, but I'm happy with the six they went with myself. I do think that she would be a viable addition to add into the next film, however, if we're going cosmic. In fact, I would not be surprised if they introduce her in Thor 2.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, are there any chances we can get Black Panther, or is that just wishful thinking? I actually came to like him quite a bit as a character on Avengers: EMH, so I wouldn't mind seeing him in as an addition, even though I'm sure the comic book fans could point out a bunch of other heroes they'd much rather have on the team in the next film.

Avaitor

I hear that the screenplay for a Black Panther film has been finished and is waiting approval. I still think that we're more likely to get more cosmic heroes, but I can see him join.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like him because to me, he's the closest thing the Avengers have to a Batman, and every superhero team needs a Batman, IMO. :sly: