E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) 2012

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 04, 2012, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on June 05, 2012, 09:32:33 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 05, 2012, 09:16:34 PM
Quote from: Comeau on June 05, 2012, 09:03:31 PM
I don't know, I don't really see anything that wows me.  Yeah, the Mario game for the Wii U looks awesome, but no way am I paying a few hundred bucks for a system just for one game(although I'm almost positive more quality games will come in the future, but who knows when that'll be). 

Maybe I'm just getting older, but the video game biz is sure getting boring.
Yep, if you saw the conferences you can tell where this hobby is headed. People like us that lived through every era since the revival back in the 8-bit days can see exactly what's wrong, but those who just want to play movies don't seem to care. That said, Wii-U will probably tide me over for this gen and that'll be enough. From the looks of it, even if it still doesn't get third party games we probably won't be missing all that much.

I mean, I see:

New Super Mario Bros. U (AAA platformer)
Project P-100 (New style of action game that takes off after old school arcade games)
Rayman Legends (Fast paced platformer with gorgeous 2D art)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (AN ARCADE PORT- WHEN DO WE EVEN GET THOSE ANYMORE?!?)
Pikmin 3 (Unique strategy game)
Nintendoland (Pack-in that has a ton more content than Wii Sports)

And I can tell what Wii-U will most likely succeed with over the generation, and that's pretty much the only types of stuff I'm really interested in.

Well, if you want to get pedantic, you could say that Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and almost every non-Capcom 2D fighter that was released this gen were Arcade Ports...
You're right, I just meant games like The Grid, Initial D, or Virtua Cop; non-fighters. Those rarely get ported to the home console anymore and when they do everyone rants and riots over the price.

I've put more hours into House Of The Dead Overkill than any CoD game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Persona 4 Arena E3 Trailer

Kanji is the best character. Still disappointed at the lack of non-P4 characters, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Did they change Teddie's and Kanji's VA's or something?

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 05, 2012, 10:07:02 PM
Persona 4 Arena E3 Trailer]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQXF9UGFw0]Persona 4 Arena E3 Trailer

Kanji is the best character. Still disappointed at the lack of non-P4 characters, though.

They're probably saving the non P4 characters for the sequel or something. At least we got Aigis, Akihiko, Mitsuru, and Elizabeth in this game.

Quote from: Daxdiv on June 05, 2012, 10:11:35 PM
Did they change Teddie's and Kanji's VA's or something?

Apparently, only Teddie and Chie's voices were changed, everyone else is reprising there roles. Still doesn't explain why Troy is using a different voice for Kanji.

Spark Of Spirit

The next Persona Arena should be a tag fighter and have characters from every Persona game.  :sly:

Oh yeah, and here's a NSMBU "Iwata Asks".

Rynnec

On the subject of NSMB, I'm sure I'm not the only one who think this, but I think having 2 NSMB games relased withing such a short timeframe of each other is kinda overkill. At the very least, I think one of them should have had sprites and be called "Super Mario Bros. 4" instead. On the brighter side, a few of the features in NSMBU will be pretty interesting.

On an unrelated note; fans of Fist of the North Star will be happy to know that Ken's Rage is getting a sequel.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, 2 separate 2D Mario games coming out within months of each other (even on separate systems is weird, but I'm also incredibly biased because 2D Mario is my favorite style of game.  :-[

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 05, 2012, 08:42:20 PM
Just came back from the show and this game is AMAZING. This and the games on Nintendoland (yes, you read right) really stood out for me as to how fun they are. P-100's games graphics have a certain "solid" quality to them thats hard to describe... its like you are playing with real life toys. What you don't see on gamepro's playthrough are the third person solo gameplay that occurs when you enter the buildings. Its just the viewtiful joe-looking hero with a behind the camera viewpoint solving the puzzle.

Needless to say, day 1. Kamiya, you viewtiful bastard.
Wonderful! Even more hype now.

People like us that lived through every era since the revival back in the 8-bit days can see exactly what's wrong, but those who just want to play movies don't seem to care.
I can see what's wrong and I started gaming with the Game Boy Color halfway through the N64/PS1 gen. :-\

Quote from: Brak's Dad on June 05, 2012, 09:17:26 PM
Soul Calibur gets Link, Darth Vader and Yoda while Tekken gets Snoop fucking Doggy Dog.

This is why Tekken is the better Namco fighting franchise.
Fixed.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 05, 2012, 09:45:19 PM
I've put more hours into House Of The Dead Overkill than any CoD game.
I've put more hours into Overkill than most shooters... and I love shooters. 8)

Quote from: Rynnec on June 05, 2012, 10:28:33 PM
They're probably saving the non P4 characters for the sequel or something. At least we got Aigis, Akihiko, Mitsuru, and Elizabeth in this game.
<3 Akihibro.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 05, 2012, 11:21:07 PM
People like us that lived through every era since the revival back in the 8-bit days can see exactly what's wrong, but those who just want to play movies don't seem to care.
I can see what's wrong and I started gaming with the Game Boy Color halfway through the N64/PS1 gen. :-\
Don't take that to heart, you just have to understand that when we started gaming it was pretty much nothing like, for instance, Microsoft or Sony's E3 conference AT ALL. If you started with the N64 or GBC it isn't as much of a culture shock.

It's sort of like a hip hop fan who grew up on the classics getting Soulja Boy shoved in their faces all the time.

Like I've said before that's what made the Wii such a breath of fresh air to me. And stuff like this is a reminder that the heart is still there. Just pushed really far to the back with apps and Sim City social games.

That said, I still found things that excited me so I'm not quite an old man screaming at lawn gnomes just yet!  ;)

Spark Of Spirit

A-ha, here's an exchange about P-100 EK might like:

QuoteThe moment when the giant robot started destroying the street right under you is when I went from "this game looks pretty neat" to "This game looks AWESOME"
QuoteIt's the best kind of scripted moment: rich and dynamic and fully playable, the terrain morphing in real-time around you. And it ties into the moment-to-moment narrative. And there's like a nonstop deluge of such moments in the demo.
They really should have demoed this at the conference.

Foggle

Yeah, Platinum's scripted sequences have always been top notch and seamless. Can't believe I ever doubted P-100's awesomeness.

Spark Of Spirit

The three types are interesting:

QuoteThe red fist-fighter, the blue sword-wielder and the green gunner.
Sounds like a certain member here should be interested.  ;)

In all seriousness, I like that they took the base action game tools and simplified them by putting them into such easy to recognize combos and colors. This could be an action game anyone can get into!

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 06, 2012, 12:22:27 AM
QuoteThe red fist-fighter, the blue sword-wielder and the green gunner.
Sounds like a certain member here should be interested.  ;)
Oh man. :lol:

QuoteIn all seriousness, I like that they took the base action game tools and simplified them by putting them into such easy to recognize combos and colors. This could be an action game anyone can get into!
I just hope it has as much depth as Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta. But I'm sure it will... Kamiya never disappoints.

Spark Of Spirit

Can you do me a favor and check this out? I can't actually see it on here and everyone keeps going on about it being a survival horror game, so I wanted to see if it looked good since it would really have to be to get me interested in a zombie game again.

Ugh, GT.

Foggle

Looks excellent! Not much horror, but definitely survival. And it uses the controller screen in a pretty cool way.

Not sure it's your kind of game, but it's certainly on my radar now. :D