"The Dark Knight Rises" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 19, 2012, 10:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 26, 2012, 01:00:04 AM
I thought the plot twist had some decent foreshadowing (like Talia's scar and how she talked about having to sacrifice in order to bring change) to it, so it wasn't as half-assed as it could've been.
:wth:

The more I think about it, the more the plot twist bothers me. So last minute.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Personally, my problem isn't with the plot twist, but rather, the execution of it. Talia really didn't have any character or much screentime throughout the rest of the movie (putting aside that poorly done romance between her and Batman which still managed to have more development than Batman and Catwoman in this movie). Not only that, but I really disagree with their decision for Batman to kill her. Because they so strongly established the idea that Batman can't kill, especially in TDK when they arrested the Joker and Batman was trying to threaten him.

Foggle

I don't think Batman killed her on purpose.

gunswordfist

Yeah, Batman was just trying to stop the truck, not kill her.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Fine, but I still have trouble accepting Batman's death threat on Bane. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Batman does stuff like that all the time. He tries to hold a bluff through intimidation. Weaker-minded thugs will fall for it, but smarter villains that are wise to his ways know that he'd never cross the line. For instance, in Batman Begins he got that one corrupted cop to talk (Jim Gordon's old partner) by hanging him upside down from the ledge of a building and threatening to drop him. We as the audience know that he'd never really do that, but he still basically just made a death threat, there (and in this case the guy couldn't really call his bluff). He tried the same thing to a high level gangster in TDK, but he was able to call his bluff in that case.

With Bane, though, I do have to say that it felt kind of pointless for Batman to threaten Bane. First off, Bane is way too smart to believe for a second that Batman himself would physically kill him, but even if he did, Bane was already established to have no fear of death, and Batman knew that, so it just didn't make sense for him to use Bane's own line against him as if to threaten him.

Foggle

I don't think Batman was actually trying to threaten Bane. He was practically quoting Bane's speech to him in the prison. It was more of a sarcastic comment/ironic storytelling device than anything else IMO.

Foggle

Just watched it again. I think TDK is a better film, but TDKR gives me millions of feels every time I watch it. Absolutely love this movie, and while some may argue that it has plot holes or runs too long or whatever, I still feel comfortable saying it's one of my favorite movies ever.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Foggle on March 02, 2013, 05:16:59 PM
Just watched it again. I think TDK is a better film, but TDKR gives me millions of feels every time I watch it. Absolutely love this movie, and while some may argue that it has plot holes or runs too long or whatever, I still feel comfortable saying it's one of my favorite movies ever.
Completely agreed. I need to rewatch this and the Avengers some time so I can decide which one I like more though I'm leaning towards TDKR.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have to re-watch both movies, myself, as I haven't seen either since they debuted in theaters. I still say that The Dark Knight is a better movie than The Avengers, but honestly I liked it and TDKR about the same, though I had a bit more invested in The Avengers if only because it was the culmination of 5 movies worth of build-up.

talonmalon333

My opinion on the movie is pretty much the same as it was when it was new. Great film, but not on the same level as The Dark Knight.

Avaitor

I finally saw this a few months ago. It's better than I was expecting, but I'm still on the pro-Avengers camp.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I have a question, as it's been a while since I saw this movie.

What was Bane's plan?

Foggle

Bane frees all of the maximum-security inmates of Arkham Asylum, a notorious psychiatric facility in Gotham City. Aware that he would lose in a direct assault against Batman, Bane's plan consists of weakening Batman by forcing him to deal with the deadly villains simultaneously. Among the freed inmates, there are numerous high-profile villains, such as the Joker (who trapped Arkham's administrator Jeremiah Arkham), the Scarecrow, and Poison Ivy as well as many less known villains, such as the Mad Hatter, The Ventriloquist, Firefly, Cavalier, The Film Freak and Mr. Zsasz. The scenario creates a rift in the relationship between Robin and Batman, as Batman irrationally seeks to face the outbreak alone - Robin asks Batman if he is even needed as his sidekick anymore. A later flashback to this time period shows Batman pursuing Two-Face alone, being trapped and kidnapped to stand a mock trial; he is saved only by a rescue attempt from Robin.

Batman becomes weaker and weaker as each criminal is put away. The rescue of Mayor Krol from the teaming of the Joker and Scarecrow pushes Batman to his mental and physical limits: a dose of Scarecrow's fear gas makes him relive the murder of Jason Todd, which he considers to be his greatest failure. After this encounter, Bane makes his move and attacks Batman at Wayne Manor, his home as his alter-ego - by this time, Bane had deduced the secret identity of Batman. By this time, Batman is so exhausted from the exertion of catching the escaped criminals that he cannot even defend himself; Bane beats him mercilessly before breaking Wayne's back over his knee inside the Batcave below the manor, symbolically "breaking" Batman and leaving Wayne a paraplegic. Bane takes the grievously-wounded Wayne (still costumed in the Batman outfit) downtown to Gotham Square and throws him from a rooftop to demonstrate his superiority to the populace. With Batman incapacitated, Bane assumes control of Gotham City's underworld and takes over several illegal operations within it.

Source: Wikipedia

Dr. Insomniac