Nintendo Power Ceases Publication

Started by Kiddington, August 21, 2012, 01:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Bit of sad news that I figured I'd pass along, in case anyone hasn't heard:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/08/21-1/nintendo-power-to-cease-publication-after-24-years

QuoteLast November saw the shuttering of GamePro magazine, and now another long-running staple of gaming in print is coming to an end, with Nintendo Power ceasing publication after a 24-year run.

Nintendo Power kicked off in 1988 with the legendary claymation Super Mario Bros. 2 cover, pictured below, and was majorly coveted by kids of the time with its free posters and hyperbolic Nintendo game promotions. How many kids would have bothered to pick up Dragon Warrior if not for the offer of a free copy with a year's subscription to Nintendo Power?

Nintendo moved on from producing and distributing the magazine themselves in 2007, when Future Publishing took over, and now that era is coming to an end with Future's plans to stop publishing the magazine. According to ars technica's source, Nintendo was "difficult to work with" and was uninterested in renewing the contract or taking part of digital initiatives that Future saw as essential to keeping the Nintendo Power brand alive.

The most recent issue of Nintendo Power is the August issue, which marks its 281st. It's currently unclear how many more issues will hit stands, but editors and staff were notified of the closing last week, and are in the process of being transferred to other Future brands such as GamesRadar and MacLife magazine

Not sure how many of you folks still keep up with gaming publications like these, but nonetheless, it's sad. I don't pay quite as much attention to NP as I did when I was younger, but it was still nice to pick up an issue every now and again, just to kinda keep tabs on things.

Too bad.

Avaitor

From what I've checked out, the later Nintendo Power issues just weren't as fun as they used to be. But the gaming industry isn't the same as it was in the late 80's-90's, so fun promotion like just doesn't have a place in the world today.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

:-[

I know Nintendo Power isn't as fun as it used to be, but damn, it'll just feel weird with the magazine gone.

Nel_Annette

Knew it. I wasn't planning on renewing my subscription, but it looks like I might get the last one. Sad, but that's the world today. I have a bunch of my cousin's old 80s and 90s issues, and pretty much all of them from issue 150+.

Eddy

I haven't gotten a Nintendo Power in a while but this is a sad thing to see. Nintendo Power was a part of my childhood.

Daxdiv

The last issue of Nintendo Power I got was the one that had a bunch of Kid Icarus cards in then. Shame really.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I think my subscription expired in 2008 or so, a little after they switched to Future. Sad to hear its finally coming to an end.

I've been collecting old NP issues for a while though, dunno what I'll ultimately do with them. But its fun to look back and reminisce.

Commode

There's a whole ton of old Ninty Power mags at one of the video game stores around here, I've thought about picking some of them up before.  There was one that had the Tiny Toons on the cover(I think it was for Buster Busts Loose, not sure), that would be a great example of an issue I would like to own.  Maybe I'll go back there and see what issues they have lying around, I can't imagine them being too expensive.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rynnec

Spark Of Spirit

It was a good magazine that never forgot to be fun for the readers, and never forgot to have good coverage of games. I still remember the original Contra 4 reveal in that issue. I was so hyped for that just seeing the crazy screens in Nintendo Power.

It really is sad to see it end, though. It was pretty much the only good gaming rag left.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

So did they already halt printing on NP?  I can't find it anywhere anymore, I've looked at gas stations, grocery stores, Wal mart, Target, even the bookstores.  It's no where to be found.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rynnec

I recieved an issue in the mail, so there still printing for now (at lest til december I believe). The most recent issue has a Black 2 and White 2 cover.

Daikun

Enjoy the final cover.

If you're a subscriber, expect it in your mailbox on December 11.

Spark Of Spirit

That is an awesome cover.

... Man, I really want a sequel to Doki Doki Panic.  :-\
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/