What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

We played LBP2's Toy Story level pack last night and beat it. Not bad.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

From what I've played:

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon > Luigi's Mansion

Nintendo should really buy Next Level Games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

BioShock Infinite is like my new favorite game of all time. Literally the only fault I can find with it is the 2-weapon limit, I absolutely love just about everything else about it. 11/10, GOTYAY, etc.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't mind the 2-weapon limit thing if its used wisely. Also, to be honest, I usually only stuck to 2 or 3 weapons in the first 2 BioShock games, anyways, as I like sticking to what I find to be the most useful weapons to use in FPS games (as opposed to hack n' slash games, in which I make it a point to experiment with different weapons).

At any rate, the original BioShock was among the few "artistic" sort of games that actually had GOOD writing to support its deep story-line (rather than being written by pretentious ass-holes who like to talk big but wouldn't know a good story if it bit them in the ass), and on top of that it never forgot the fact that it was a game, and while it was hardly the best FPS gameplay out there, it was still great and well above any of the crappy CoD clones that we've been getting this generation. BioShock: Infinite is one of the few modern games that I've been truly excited for in a long while, so I'm glad to hear all of the positive reception that this game has been getting. I REALLY want to play it as soon as possible, but its just not going to happen when I'm this busy, so I'm only ever going to end up getting to this game by around May. Its definitely a priority game for me, though (MGRR would be 2nd for me, I suppose).

Foggle

Infinite more than lives up to the hype IMO. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of the best games I've ever played. I'll write a review for it soon probably.

For now, just imagine if BioShock 1 and Half-Life 2 had a baby, and it somehow managed to be better than both. That's BioShock Infinite.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I know that this game is mainly supposed to be its own thing, but does the story have any subtle or clever little nods to the original game? I just love looking for stuff like that in spin-off titles (or in this case its more of a prequel than anything else). I mean, I am glad that they decided to move away from Rapture (because really, what else could you do with it that the first 2 games didn't already explore?), but its also such an iconic and atmospheric place that I can't help but be a little saddened by the prospect that it'll never be featured in another game (though, to be fair, that's probably for the better).

That said, I do really love how Columbia seems to be the polar opposite of Rapture. Its in the sky instead of under the ocean, its well-populated and in its prime when you visit it (as oppose to you making it to Rapture well after its fall), and its a bright ad colorful place, as opposed to a broken down and dark place like Rapture is when you first visit it. Actually, now that I think about it, Columbia is way more up my ally than Rapture, but both make for absolutely fantastic, atmospheric, and truly memorable environments.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 28, 2013, 08:15:46 PM
So, I know that this game is mainly supposed to be its own thing, but does the story have any subtle or clever little nods to the original game?
Yep! The prologue is very reminiscent of the original BioShock, and there are also some other things in the game that I don't want to spoil. It's not necessary to play either of the first two games to understand or love Infinite, but you will appreciate certain things about it a lot more if you have.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 28, 2013, 08:15:46 PM
That said, I do really love how Columbia seems to be the polar opposite of Rapture. Its in the sky instead of under the ocean, its well-populated and in its prime when you visit it (as oppose to you making it to Rapture well after its fall), and its a bright ad colorful place, as opposed to a broken down and dark place like Rapture is when you first visit it. Actually, now that I think about it, Columbia is way more up my ally than Rapture, but both make for absolutely fantastic, atmospheric, and truly memorable environments.
Columbia really is amazing. The opening bits are utterly fantastic and will really get you immersed in the story, and you'll definitely want to explore every inch of the game world. :)

Nel_Annette

It has quite a few great nods to the first game throughout the whole thing, from the beginning area of the game and bits and pieces from there on.

Oh my god, I love how quickly everything escalates
Spoiler
at the raffle. When they bring the interracial couple out and you realize why this town's a bad place. And then ramming that guy's head into that spinner thing immediately afterward? Holy shit.
[close]

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 28, 2013, 08:26:39 PM
Oh my god, I love how quickly everything escalates
Spoiler
at the raffle. When they bring the interracial couple out and you realize why this town's a bad place. And then ramming that guy's head into that spinner thing immediately afterward? Holy shit.
[close]
Everything from the very opening to that exact moment comprises what may just be my favorite slice of video game storytelling EVER. This is Irrational's masterpiece as far as I'm concerned, even surpassing System Shock 2 at points.

The Shadow Gentleman

Damnit, now I really wish I had some leftover birthday money.

Nel_Annette

Oh, and the two Brits, the Luteces, is it? I love them. They're hilarious.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 28, 2013, 10:51:47 PM
Oh, and the two Brits, the Luteces, is it? I love them. They're hilarious.
Me too! Their dialogue reminds me a lot of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.

In my book, BioShock Infinite is pretty much perfect.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 27, 2013, 05:15:38 PM
From what I've played:

From what everyone is saying, I totally need to get this.

Too bad I can't bring myself to finish like any of my 3DS games though (aside from 3D Land, I'm stuck halfway through on everything else). And I'm cheap.

Nel_Annette

Right now on XBLA the first episode of The Walking Dead video game is free, and the other four episodes are only 200 points each.

Guess what I just bought.  :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on March 28, 2013, 11:20:44 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 27, 2013, 05:15:38 PM
From what I've played:

From what everyone is saying, I totally need to get this.

Too bad I can't bring myself to finish like any of my 3DS games though (aside from 3D Land, I'm stuck halfway through on everything else). And I'm cheap.
If you enjoyed Luigi's Mansion, I would wager you'd like this one better. My issue with the original was it was too short and there was not enough to do... neither of which are close to issues in this one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton