What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Super Metroid is one of the best SNES games. Fact.

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 23, 2013, 01:47:02 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 23, 2013, 12:58:33 AM
Everyone here agrees.

Because it's a fact.

Super Metroid is also the best Metroid game.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 23, 2013, 11:17:22 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 23, 2013, 01:47:02 AM
Everyone here agrees.

Because it's a fact.

Super Metroid is also the best Metroid game.
Another fact.

I just got done playing the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon demo. Omanomanoman. I sat at the first menu just to listen to the entire main theme for the game. It sounded like something straight out of an 80s ultraviolent scifi film. I also loved the vector graphics or whatever the fuck it's called mountain in the background.

Anyway, I started the game and liked the hilarious game tips like if you use grenades on enemies, their families won't recognize them. I loved the intro vid. Again, straight out of a UV scifi movie. They really played up the black stereotypical character and I think Spider's played by Phil Lamarr so that's an extra bonus. Then began the first gameplay sequence. Using a cyber gatling gun while in a helicopter with Little Richard playing and seeing possibly the most colorful shooter I've ever seen was a great first impression.

Then the tutorial began... :D I laughed so hard during the press A to demostrate that you can read, training for idiots and the part where Rex called them assholes for having him go through the tutorial. His general annoyance with the whole sequence was funny. Then I got to kill some bad guys and saw that the game had pretty much everything I could ask for as far as abilities for the hero goes (stealth kills, running, jumping, off hand grenades, more than 2 guns at a time, being able to move while looking through the sights of your gun, driving) It was like Halo meets Far Cry. I didn't touch the leveling up yet because I was too busy trying out all these gameplay features. It sucks that the demo but that doesn't take away from what I played.

"Go call a medic so I can kill him too"

Blood Dragon needs to be turned into a full series. I'm going to read about how this project started later.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just beat the first 2 dungeons in Oracle of Seasons. I really like how this game gives you "secrets" that you can go back to Ages and use (or vice-versa if you beat Seasons first), as one game helps extend the play-time value of the other game, and it makes both adventures feel much more interconnected on the whole. Its a big part of the reason for why I count both games as one large game, though even as stand-alone titles they are the most excellent 2D Zelda experiences out there, IMO.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2013, 05:14:56 PM
What are NOLF2 and AVP2 like?
NOLF2 is a silly secret agent game that plays a lot like a combination between Deus Ex and Far Cry (and it pre-dates the latter!). AVP2 is the best Aliens game to date, and also one of the greatest multiplayer experiences ever.

Wrong, it's THE best SNES game.

Grave

I haven't actually started yet, but I plan on starting Vergil's Downfall soon. Dino's gameplay progression is starting to rear it's ugly head. When it comes to these kind of games I prefer to play it my way, and being forced to use a specific weapon for said demon really takes the fun out of things which is why I'm going to attempt Vergil's Downfall.

I'm also going to be starting up DMC3 once again. It's been a long time since I last played the game and considering that I've been playing DmC I'm fairly certain that it's going to feel weird.

I also plan to buy Guilty Gear XX: AC in preparation for Xrd, and I'll be using Johnny.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 23, 2013, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2013, 05:14:56 PM
What are NOLF2 and AVP2 like?
NOLF2 is a silly secret agent game that plays a lot like a combination between Deus Ex and Far Cry (and it pre-dates the latter!). AVP2 is the best Aliens game to date, and also one of the greatest multiplayer experiences ever.

Wrong, it's THE best SNES game.
Hell it's probably my favorite. Out of the contenders, it's either Super Metroid, Mega Man X or Super Mario World and I haven't beaten any of them yet.
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 23, 2013, 03:22:12 PM
I just beat the first 2 dungeons in Oracle of Seasons. I really like how this game gives you "secrets" that you can go back to Ages and use (or vice-versa if you beat Seasons first), as one game helps extend the play-time value of the other game, and it makes both adventures feel much more interconnected on the whole. Its a big part of the reason for why I count both games as one large game, though even as stand-alone titles they are the most excellent 2D Zelda experiences out there, IMO.
I've never even played Ages yet and Seasons is probably my favorite Zelda. ;) Capcom used to be so good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you liked Seasons as much as I did, then you'll want to get onto Ages ASAP. Its on the same high level of quality as Seasons (both games were developed together by the same development team, of course). Together they make up the best 2D Zelda game ever, IMO.

In other news, I just bought BioShock: Infinite today. I decided to start out on Hard mode, since these games are a bit too easy on Normal. That said, I just realized that this game is going to be a chore to play as long as I'm stuck with an SDTV, which I currently am at the moment. Its way too hard to see enemies by my in-game peripheral vision, since I swear its cut off from normal due to the SDTV screen's aspect ratio, and also because a lot of enemies show up really small on the TV that I'm using. That said, its surprising how nice the visuals still look in this game even on a crappy old TV like this one. It really makes me wonder just how much better it will all look when I finally get the chance to play it on an HDTV.

As for the gameplay, the game starts out a bit slow to build up its story, which I usually hate but its pretty normal for a BioShock game (the first 2 games also started out quite slow). What I already like about this game is how the main character actually has a personality. I felt that the silent first-person protagonist cliche was getting pretty stale in games, and I'm glad that the person you play as actually has character to him, and on top of that he's likable, which is rare for most modern video game protagonists, IMO. I'm still really early on in the game, so I haven't even met Elizabeth yet. I have already turned the city against me, though, and I've killed a few armed guards so far. I kind of hate it when you have enemy AI who only carry melee weapons, yet they are still stupid enough to blindly charge you when you have a gun. It kind of takes you out of the immersion of the experience when developers don't account for enemy AI acting unrealistically stupid.

At any rate, I haven't played enough of the game to form an opinion on it, yet, but even if its only as good as BioShock 2 (which was a much weaker game than 1, IMO), I'll still enjoy it, so I think I'll be pretty satisfied with this game, overall.

Spark Of Spirit

Against my memories, I guess I never played Super Ghouls N Ghosts before.

I mean, I played the NES game (and arcade version) ages ago but they were too hard and the PSP game was pretty unremarkable and dry. I think Maximo is excellent for a 3D attempt at the series, but the 2D games I played annoyed me more than anything. But on the VC I picked up SGnG for the first time and it's pretty amazing.

I'm slowly making my way through and really digging how great the levels and weapons are. The challenge also doesn't annoy me more than push me to try once more, the game is just that fun.

Has anyone ever played the Genesis game before? How does it stack up to this one? I think I'm coming around to these games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 23, 2013, 06:50:16 PM
In other news, I just bought BioShock: Infinite today. I decided to start out on Hard mode, since these games are a bit too easy on Normal.
Yeah, you have to play Infinite on Hard mode. Normal is too easy, and 1999 is just frustrating. Hard difficulty is just the right level of challenge IMO. I thought BioShock 1 was pretty tough even on Normal mode, though.

Personally, I love the slow build-up in these games. Infinite's especially was excellent IMO. I'm the kind of guy who likes exploring every single inch of the environment, and I thought this game was a real treat in the world building department.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm up to level 6 [of 8] and I'm still digging it.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

You know, I knew this would happen yet it still took me by surprise.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 23, 2013, 07:34:52 PM
Yeah, you have to play Infinite on Hard mode. Normal is too easy, and 1999 is just frustrating. Hard difficulty is just the right level of challenge IMO. I thought BioShock 1 was pretty tough even on Normal mode, though.

I honestly never found BioShock to be that hard, even when I turned the difficulty up to Hard mode. I think it was more because I was pretty good about setting up traps and cleverly utilizing my abilities to make my job easier. That's probably why on the beginning of the game was somewhat hard for me, but everything else was easy after the first 3 or 4 stages.

I actually find Infinite to be a bit harder so far, though of course part of that is because I defaulted to Hard mode from the start. The other part, though, is that this game was clearly designed to be played on an HDTV, and playing it on an SDTV really hampers my visibility of enemies, especially those damn machine turrets which I swear blend into the background. It sucks because those drain my health the fastest, and half the time I can't even find out where I'm getting shot from. Tomorrow I'm just going to hook up my own HDTV in my room again, and play the game there. Its a relatively small TV, but at least the picture quality will be better so that I can see what I'm shooting at, and more importantly what's shooting at me, more clearly.

QuotePersonally, I love the slow build-up in these games. Infinite's especially was excellent IMO. I'm the kind of guy who likes exploring every single inch of the environment, and I thought this game was a real treat in the world building department.

I like the build-up as well. And I'm also the type of person who explores every inch of the environment. Like, in the 2nd level, when I found that locked chest I made a mental note that I needed to find the key for it somewhere else in the level. When I finally came across the key, I was already quite a bit far from where I found that chest, and at that point most people would just say screw it and move on, but I back-tracked all the way to that chest whether the reward was worth it or not, because stuff like that just makes me curious otherwise, godamnit! :D