What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

The problem is that you can't save when you die, so the game won't recognize that you've already gone through it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

I know, it'd just be nice if it did that.

Playing Oracle of Seasons. Breezing through when suddenly, an old childhood foe appears. Digdogger, you one-eyed fuck, I hate you with every fiber of my being. I can't use the spiked ball well enough. Time to sequence break and try getting to the Noble Sword. Maybe it'll help me take down the little dudes faster.

Also bought Banjo Kazooie for XBLA. Hated the game as a kid, but Clement's LP has made me appreciate it now that I'm older. Didn't rage quit until Clanker's Cavern, but I'll deal with that shit tomorrow.

EDIT: Nevermind, just realized I can't get the last jewel needed to get to Tarm Ruins until I get the first five essences. The old bastard in this tree won't lemme have it! lol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played some more of BioShock: Infinite today....

Spoiler
....I saw the twist coming where Daisy Fitzroy's revolution would prove her to be just as bad as Comstock, but when Elizabeth actually killed her with her own hands, I have to admit that caught me by surprise. I never knew she had it in her. :sly:
[close]

I also played some more of NGB, the other day. I tested out the Unlabored Flawlessness on the ice mini-boss in Chapter 12 and I killed the damn thing in one single hit. I fucking love this weapon. Its one of those things that unfortunately most people never discover in the game because they either stick to just using the Dragon Sword all of the time and don't experiment with other weapons or they just don't even play that far because they complain that the game is too hard. That's too bad, because its so many in-depth elements such as this that make this my favorite game ever.

EDIT: SPOILERZZZ -- Foggle

RE-EDIT: My bad, but it doesn't help to put up a spoiler tag unless you warn people about what game you're spoiling first. Otherwise everyone would just look it up out of curiosity anyways. Duh. :zonk:

Grave

Batman: Arkham City
Just started playing yesterday. Playing on normal, and while I haven't noticed much of a difference when I first played on easy I have died quite a bit, and that's mainly because of the ice walking. Got gameovers a couple of times because of one of Penguins thugs shooting the hostage (I have a tendency to use detective mode a lot and it kinda bit me a bit). Right now I'm fighting Grundy. While I do find this game to be overrated, I am still having fun, and that's mainly because it just feel so good to beat on someone and feel dominant. Is it on the level of DMC? Nah, but it is the best superhero game out. Hopefully I won't feel fatigue by the time I get towards the endgame.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on June 01, 2013, 10:29:26 PMAlso bought Banjo Kazooie for XBLA. Hated the game as a kid, but Clement's LP has made me appreciate it now that I'm older. Didn't rage quit until Clanker's Cavern, but I'll deal with that shit tomorrow.
Try to muscle through it. It's a fairly awful level on the whole, but the rest of the game is pretty fun. Every other level I thought was great.

I also played it on XBLA which made me appreciate it far more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

GaryPotter

There are people who had trouble with Clanker's Cavern?

The only part I found challenging was the anvil, and even that is easy once you get the hang of turning around to get the air bubbles.

Nel_Annette

I breezed through what I was stuck on yesterday. The camera feels a bit wonky at times.

Now it's the swamp I'm ragequiting on. XD

Spark Of Spirit

Other than the small turtle part, I thought the swamp was one of the best levels.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The small turtle part was easy for me, but I hated the fucking crocodile eating races.

Honestly, my most recent playthrough of BK was just depressing for me. I loved that game so much as a kid, but now I can find almost nothing fun in it.

Kiddington

I had that problem with Tooie the last couple of times I gave it a shot. You know, that's the thing though; I can't really remember how much I liked it as a kid (especially Grunty Industries, fuck everything about that level and all that it stands for), but I never seem to remember hating it as much as I do now. I mean, it's still better than DK64... but only barely.

BK is a lot of fun though. I played through it again not too long ago (I want to say about a year or so), and I still love it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 04, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
The small turtle part was easy for me, but I hated the fucking crocodile eating races.

Honestly, my most recent playthrough of BK was just depressing for me. I loved that game so much as a kid, but now I can find almost nothing fun in it.

Maybe its just one of those things you held in really high regard when you were a kid so when going back into it with high expectations, it had a lot more problems than you remembered, and it fell flat. That's just my guess, but maybe you should try it again another few years down the line to see if you feel the same way again, or if your opinion has some compromise to it by that point.

Its like when some people say that the Sonic Adventure games haven't aired well, but when I went back to play the first one at least, I could acknowledge all of its flaws but I still had A LOT of genuine fun with the game, so it helped that I didn't go back in with my expectations too high.

Also, while we're on the topic of games from our youth that we've re-visited, I am happy to say that both of the Oracle games have not only aged tremendously well, but they may just be even better than I initially remembered them, if that's even possible. These have already passed The Wind Waker for me in terms of quality, and may even be close to Ocarina status, but as it stands now, I can proudly call them my 2nd favorite Zelda game, and I were to do a top 10 list at this moment, they'd definitely both make it in (though, I'd rank them together in a single spot).

And while it hasn't been quite as long a gap in time since I had last played that game, I have been finding my replay of NGB to confirm my love for the game every bit, and that's just on Normal mode, the weakest part of the game. The game only truly starts after you beat it once and unlock Hard Mode and Mission Mode. I can't wait for the latter, because believe it or not, I never actually completed it when I was younger, and now I really want to so that I can finally 100% the game after all of these years.

Lord Dalek

Ys Chronicles+. Am nearly done with Ys-I with one book remaining and 2/3rds of Dahm Tower conquered.

Foggle

Right now I am playing an awesome FPS named Singularity! It's a very underrated game; reminds me a lot of the Half-Life and BioShock games. I recommend checking it out if you're looking for a fun shootin' title with great atmosphere and an interesting story.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Soviet Union experiment goes bad in the 1950's, then in 2010 American special ops are sent in to investigate. From there, history gets rewritten, and eventually you obtain a device that allows you to enact crazy time-related hijinks. There's an abandoned island to explore (in linear fashion), pieces of text/audio backstory to uncover, puzzles to solve, and tons of mutants/soldiers to shoot. It's very fun and creative!