What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Oh yeah, the game where you can rewind time on people. I wanted to play that game and I forgot it's name.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

GaryPotter

Playing Fable III. I've been putting it off for ages even though I got it free with the holiday bundle I bought back in 2011.

This game feels incredibly rushed and unfinished. Nowhere near as good as II.

Grave

Batman: Arkham City
Hmm.... I'm pretty much near the end. I'm at the Steel Mill. Don't know if it's because of me playing on normal or not, but compared to my first playthrough, I'm not fatigued with the game. I remember I was pretty much ready for the game to be over by the time I got to Ra's. I have tackled some of these side quests, and, yeah, they're practically a waste of time (I actually wanted to fight Bane). I am having a bit of fun messing with some of these goons during stealth, especially when it comes to using the disruptor.

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition
Not really playing it at the moment. I've merely been watching some matches through ssf4evo's channel. I swear, watching people like OTinhoso and Kiryu Tsukimaya play Guy really makes me want to make him the main, especially since he's my favorite character (He's been my favorite since the Alpha series), but Capcom (I think I mentioned this before) screwed him over in this game. As far as I know he's the only character in the game whose blockstrings aren't safe and that worries me a lot, especially when I mainly play my brother-in-law and he chooses shoto characters a lot, and they can just uppercut to solve their problems. I don't want to necessarily counterpick, but I do want him to have to work equally as hard and think before throwing out random moves.

I've also been watching Sakonoko play Ibuki. I just have a knack for ninja's. She's a high execution character but at the same time she has enough simplistic combo's for me until I can actually do the harder stuff. Plus, while she's not a counterpick to Ryu, Ken, and Akuma, they have to play a little more safer.

And then there's 1P's Ken. The dude is a beast with him. I'm still not exactly sure who I'm going to make the main and the backup though. Time will tell. Chances are it'll probably be either Guy or Ibuki as the main with Ken and Evil Ryu as the backups.

Edit:

Just ran a set with my brother-in-law. I'm not too mad, although, it's weird how everytime I decide to play him I get these barrage's of interruptions. Anyway, we had some good games, almost epic. I won and few, but he ended up winning the set. Cody is no longer my best character. Cammy is, although though she's kind of an auto-pilot (brain-dead) character. Like I said, as much as I want to use Guy, I don't think I'm going to main him at all. Hardly did anything against my brother-in-law with him even though I spent majority of my time in training mode as him. I don't like Guy vs shoto's at all. My Ibuki improved since the last time, but even then I got bopped when I tried to use her. I think this actually tells me that I need to focus on Cammy and Evil Ryu (possibly Oni).

Also, SSF4 is back up to being the my #1 favorite. Despite the constant losses, and the raging, I do have a blast with this game, especially when I actually see the improvements. Now if only I can actually commit to using a fight stick and actually get into training mode.

Nel_Annette

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

On one hand, a lot of things were made much, MUCH more convenient in the interface. I love that you can customize where things like houses and bridges go. Not sure how I feel about the more pastel-esque graphics or the Main Street, though. The town feels like a barren wasteland, but I suppose all the stuff you can add will fix that. I've decided to hold off on upgrading my house and focus on adding the extra stuff to the town instead. First off, bridges. One is not enough.

Foggle

Played through Zeno Clash. I loved the art style and music, and the melee combat was often satisfying (mostly due to the hilarious Source Engine physics), but the level design was almost nonexistent, the story and voice acting were subpar, and quite a few of the stages were tedious rather than challenging or fun. It's also like 3 hours long.

Overall, decent game. A fun novelty for about $5, but no more.

gunswordfist

I played RE Revelations demo two days ago. Ah yes, exactly what I wanted a RE to be like for years. It plays like the old games and you can move and shoot ;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Okay, never mind, I must have just been feeling really bad when I tried to play MG2 yesterday. Started it up again and I'm not having any problems whatsoever; it's actually easier than the original. Huh.

Nel_Annette

Had a tarantula come out of a grove of trees and bite my face off in Animal Crossing. Scared the shit out of me. Good times.

I thought they came out in July, not June, but I was thinking of scorpions. No more walking around at night with a net out unless I see a bug I need.

Grave

So happy I got off of work early today, and you better believe I'm gonna spend some of this time playing some more SSF4:AE2012 and finish up Batman: Arkham City.

Foggle

Beat Metal Gear 1 & 2 for the MSX. I'd played both before, but never gotten anywhere near finishing them. Overall, I liked them a lot. The first game shows its age and can be overly obtuse at times, but it's still pretty fun and creative. The second one, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. It holds up perfectly, and is very inventive with much of its game design. Definitely the most advanced 8-bit title I've played, and perhaps the best.

Basically, everyone should purchase the MGS HD Collection. You get three excellent games (MG 2, MGS 3, Peace Walker) and two pretty good ones (MG 1, MGS 2) for about half the price of one new game.

Grave

Quote from: Foggle on June 14, 2013, 08:45:31 AM
Beat Metal Gear 1 & 2 for the MSX. I'd played both before, but never gotten anywhere near finishing them. Overall, I liked them a lot. The first game shows its age and can be overly obtuse at times, but it's still pretty fun and creative. The second one, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. It holds up perfectly, and is very inventive with much of its game design. Definitely the most advanced 8-bit title I've played, and perhaps the best.

Basically, everyone should purchase the MGS HD Collection. You get three excellent games (MG 2, MGS 3, Peace Walker) and two pretty good ones (MG 1, MGS 2) for about half the price of one new game.

Given my stance on retro games, I doubt I'll ever play those Metal Gear games, which is a shame too, because I think I owe it to myself to play those games just so I can see how it all started, but much like MGS (I wish they remade this game) once I find a game with superior gameplay (in this case, being able to shoot in FPV) I'm not going to go back to the old. If Kojima really want to make some more money off me all he need to do is remake MG1, MG2, and MGS with a similar feel to MGS3 or MGS4's shooting.

I'm actually going to disagree with you when you say everyone should purchase the MGS HD Collection, only because of the latest MGS collection which has MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, and the original MGs. While I already have the HD collection, I'm definitely thinking about trading that in for this collection.

I played a bit more of SSF4 online earlier, and got bopped pretty badly. Ran into a few trolls, but at the same time it's also nice to know that there are still some nice people playing as well. I also ran into an A rank Fei Long player (OUCH) named Combo Jack (If I recall, there was a tourney player by that name...). No doubt I got bopped pretty hard by him.

Even though I'm losing so much, I think I'm beyond the point of getting discouraged. I'm seeing the reason why I lose. I'd say that the only thing that's holding me back is lack of practice. I know how to approach my opponent and land hits. My problem is actually maximizing my damage (combos), and that's because I haven't committed to switching to a fight stick yet (I'm so stubborn)

Foggle

Quote from: Grave on June 14, 2013, 09:58:00 AM
I'm actually going to disagree with you when you say everyone should purchase the MGS HD Collection, only because of the latest MGS collection which has MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, and the original MGs. While I already have the HD collection, I'm definitely thinking about trading that in for this collection.
That one's PS3 exclusive, which is why I didn't mention it instead, but yes, it'd probably be a better purchase. ;)

Quote from: Grave on June 14, 2013, 09:58:00 AM
Given my stance on retro games, I doubt I'll ever play those Metal Gear games, which is a shame too, because I think I owe it to myself to play those games just so I can see how it all started, but much like MGS (I wish they remade this game) once I find a game with superior gameplay (in this case, being able to shoot in FPV) I'm not going to go back to the old. If Kojima really want to make some more money off me all he need to do is remake MG1, MG2, and MGS with a similar feel to MGS3 or MGS4's shooting.
Well, Twin Snakes plays more like the later games, though it kind of kills the challenge and fun in the process since MGS 1 was designed around its limitations. But if you want a more modern version of the first Metal Gear Solid, you could always pick it up.

talonmalon333

Foggle just called MGS2 "excellent", and suggested it's not the worst game in the series. Never thought this day would come. :D

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 14, 2013, 12:09:12 PM
Foggle just called MGS2 "excellent", and suggested it's not the worst game in the series. Never thought this day would come. :D
No, I called it "pretty good". Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is excellent. :P

And MGS2 is far from the worst game in the series. Snake's Revenge and the NES Metal Gear (which I used to like, but now see as lame compared to the MSX one) come to mind...