What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

The Vs. multiplayer was good, and that's about it.

Nel_Annette

I never said the first one was great, but at least at the time, it was nice to get a new Mario platformer, even if that one was piss-easy too. And the recent overuse of the Koopalings makes me appreciate the bosses from the first one more.

Basically, both of the portable NSMB games are fuck-ups.

Hell, I still haven't picked up the Wii U game because, well, I played the Wii one. That just looks like a shiny HD version of the same god damn game.

talonmalon333

I still need to play the 3DS and U NSMB games. But I can't imagine how some people would call the original NSMB for the DS anything more than "good".

Spark Of Spirit

As someone who likes Wii and U the most (and enjoys them more than SMW), I would easily say that U is distinguished by having the best level design of the NSMB games, the most content, and the most challenge. The DLC is pretty great, too. As for power-ups, I feel that the propeller suit, penguin suit, coin fireball, and squirrel suit are all great power ups. I think they all added quite a bit more to the game than anything DS did. (Also, I agree that the Vs mode was pretty good. They should have built on that.)

I still think the only real AAA portable Mario platformer is Super Mario 3D Land. I actually think Sonic has a better batting average when it comes to portable platformers.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 29, 2013, 05:36:25 PM
As someone who likes Wii and U the most (and enjoys them more than SMW)

Can't speak for NSMBU, but you like NSMBWii more than SMW? That's a surprise.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 29, 2013, 05:36:25 PM
I still think the only real AAA portable Mario platformer is Super Mario 3D Land. I actually think Sonic has a better batting average when it comes to portable platformers.

My feelings on SM3DL are similar to NSMB DS. It's good but lacking in soul. It feels like Galaxy-lite in the same way that NSMB feels like SMB3-lite.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As I recall, Desensitized has never been a fan of SMW. As for me, its my 2nd favorite Mario game, personally. I've played enough of NSMBW to know that I personally find SMW to be much better and more well-rounded as a game. I think the challenge in NSMBW is great, and I like the game for the most part, but it can also feel taxing to play at times and doesn't quite have that feeling of pure fun that SMW gave me. Sometimes it feels a bit too masochistic for its own good.

Foggle

I couldn't get into 3D Land. Just found it kind of boring. I like both the DS and Wii NSMB games though (especially the Wii one).

Spark Of Spirit

Did you beat Bowser in SM3DL? Because once you do it really opens up.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 29, 2013, 05:57:43 PM
As I recall, Desensitized has never been a fan of SMW. As for me, its my 2nd favorite Mario game, personally. I've played enough of NSMBW to know that I personally find SMW to be much better and more well-rounded as a game. I think the challenge in NSMBW is great, and I like the game for the most part, but it can also feel taxing to play at times and doesn't quite have that feeling of pure fun that SMW gave me. Sometimes it feels a bit too masochistic for its own good.
I've always liked SMW, but I've never been crazy about it. Personally, I enjoy both console NSMB games more than it, though I know why so many people like it a lot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Even though I'm not a SM3DL fan, it has my 2nd favorite final boss fight in any Mario game. Hopefully I don't need to state what the absolute best is.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 29, 2013, 07:06:22 PM
Even though I'm not a SM3DL fan, it has my 2nd favorite final boss fight in any Mario game. Hopefully I don't need to state what the absolute best is.
Mario's Time Machine?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 29, 2013, 07:09:38 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 29, 2013, 07:06:22 PM
Mario's Time Machine?
Hotel Mario.

talonmalon333

I don't even need to ask if those have terrible final bosses. :thinkin:

Spark Of Spirit

Not every game can have a final boss as good as Wand Of Gamelon.

talonmalon333

:wth:

In other news, I've been playing Chrono Trigger again and discovered the ending that's exclusive to the DS version. That was a tough battle, possibly the toughest in the game.

Spark Of Spirit

I beat Ness' Nightmare in Earthbound with the first Flying Man.

Definitely a first for me.