What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on August 24, 2013, 02:14:14 PM
If you like collect-a-thons, sure. The first part of the game is fun, but it gets tedious and monotonous around the halfway point IMO. Awful mini-games and boring worlds abound.

I don't mind collect-a-thons, honestly, but I hate shitty mini-games if they are mandatory to beat the game, though I don't mind them so much if you can ignore them, and only need to complete them to 100% the game. I don't absolutely need to 100% a game unless it motivates me enough to do so.

QuoteUndoubtedly. Pick up a PS2 or PS3 with all the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper games. Or a Wii with Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

I was more specifically referring to any ones available via XBLA (since I can get those immediately), but I was already planning to look into those games that you mentioned whenever I got a chance to borrow my brother's PS2 again.

QuoteWhen I was a kid, I dumped around 50 hours into a single playthrough, but that's because I was easily entertained and always tried to find ways to make my own fun. Now it takes me around 8-10 hours to beat the game almost 100%. Will probably be more like 12-15 for a new player.

If it's 10+ hours, but under 20 hours, then that's probably the ideal length for me. That said, I'll take your opinion into consideration before deciding to download the game or not. However, I'll also see if anyone else has any opinions to offer on the game before I make a final decision on whether to check it out or to skip it.

Foggle

Keep in mind that pretty much everyone else on this board loves B-K and hates B-T (which you should really stay away from). I don't hate Kazooie - it has some worlds I still greatly enjoy, and the music is as awesome as ever - but it's just not fun for me anymore. Too much running around collecting items and doing mini-games, not enough actual platforming. Same problem I have with the latter halves of the Sly games.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 24, 2013, 04:17:31 PM
I was more specifically referring to any ones available via XBLA (since I can get those immediately), but I was already planning to look into those games that you mentioned whenever I got a chance to borrow my brother's PS2 again.
Ah, okay. Sadly, Microsoft doesn't have many platformers in general. That's more Nintendo's (for 2D) and Sony's (for 3D) thing.

----------

So I was playing through a dungeon in Tales of Phantasia, and after about an hour without saving, I was suddenly hit by a random arrow trap. My character instantly collapsed, and game over music started playing. Naturally, I was pissed. Then, this happened:

I just love this game.

Grave

Quote from: Foggle on August 24, 2013, 04:54:45 PM
Keep in mind that pretty much everyone else on this board loves B-K and hates B-T (which you should really stay away from)

I do hope you're not including me in this :).

So Tales of Xillia arrived today. Naturally, it's going to be on the back burner for quite some time as well, at least until I finish my Mass Effect playthrough.

Avaitor

Quote from: Grave on August 24, 2013, 05:10:03 PM
Keep in mind that pretty much everyone else on this board loves B-K and hates B-T (which you should really stay away from)

I do hope you're not including me in this :).
Trust me, we know. ;)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Grave on August 24, 2013, 09:56:28 AM
Agreed, although, the only person I couldn't stand in Abyss is Luke. My God, he got on my nerves, especially during the 2nd half of the game. Jade and Guy are the best.

Yeah, before his character development turns him into your standard jrpg hero, him being a selfish dick actually makes him far more interesting at first.  :lol:

Never quite warmed up to Natalia though. Everyone else in your party kind of joins in the first few hours and then she's tacked on near the 1/3 point of the game, is played up as a snobby bitch for about one or two dungeons, and then the game suddenly completely drops that personality from her to make her some patron saint of the people.

Spark Of Spirit

Banjo Kazooie is a fun 3D platformer. I played it for the first time on XBLA a couple of years ago and the game just clicked for me.

Outside of Rusty Bucket Bay (which is rancid) the rest of the game is a lot of fun to explore and hop around. The music is extremely catchy, too.

Quote from: Foggle on August 24, 2013, 04:54:45 PMSo I was playing through a dungeon in Tales of Phantasia, and after about an hour without saving, I was suddenly hit by a random arrow trap. My character instantly collapsed, and game over music started playing. Naturally, I was pissed. Then, this happened:

I just love this game.
RPGs used to do this all the time in the 16-bit era. The first time you use magic in Final Fantasy VI with Sabin and Edward in your part is really funny.

That was when RPG stories had a sense of fun to them, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I always liked how Chrono Trigger could balance it's sense of humor with a simple yet intricate story and include a large cast of well-developed characters with a decent amount of depth to them, yet never going overboard to make any character flat-out unlikable by making them up their own ass in pretentiousness. I hated every single FF XIII character for that very reason; and yes, I actually sat through pretty much the whole game as my friend played it on my XBOX.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2013, 02:43:39 PM
I always liked how Chrono Trigger could balance it's sense of humor with a simple yet intricate story and include a large cast of well-developed characters with a decent amount of depth to them, yet never going overboard to make any character flat-out unlikable by making them up their own ass in pretentiousness. I hated every single FF XIII character for that very reason; and yes, I actually sat through pretty much the whole game as my friend played it on my XBOX.

Man, I feel your pain. And to think I actually had a debate with myself about trying that game out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The top 3 worst characters in that game are:

3. Hope - For being a brat

2. Snow - For being a tool

1. Vanille - For existing

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 26, 2013, 02:13:12 PM
Banjo Kazooie is a fun 3D platformer. I played it for the first time on XBLA a couple of years ago and the game just clicked for me.

Outside of Rusty Bucket Bay (which is rancid) the rest of the game is a lot of fun to explore and hop around. The music is extremely catchy, too.
Even Clanker's Cavern? :thinkin:

That was when RPG stories had a sense of fun to them, though.
The newer Tales games still have a lot of humor in them. Not really much like that of Phantasia, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 26, 2013, 04:57:19 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 26, 2013, 02:13:12 PM

Even Clanker's Cavern? :thinkin:
Actually, you're right. Clanker's Cavern was the level I was thinking of. Rusty Bucket Bay is actually okay.

Clanker's Cavern is like the awful swimming parts of Super Mario 64 all concentrated into one completely terrible level. I really can't stand it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

After playing Killer Is Dead for a couple hours, I can easily see why reviewers didn't like it. It has cartoon graphics, QTE-less combat that doesn't play itself, unconventional storytelling, a non-orchestral soundtrack, and - worst of all - a lives system. :shit: It's almost as bad as Duck Tales!

Really, though, fantastic game so far. The combat is simple but fast; a massive step up from NMH and LC. Imagine an old-school brawler in 3D with amazing boss fights. The Gigolo Missions are sleazy and uncomfortable, but they're a miniscule part of the game and aren't necessary in the least, so I've just been ignoring them since I beat the first one. Can't believe some turd-burglars are docking 3-4 points off the score just because of something stupid like that. Wait... *glances at Dragon's Crown reviews* yes I can.

talonmalon333

To be honest, I can never understand why many of you guys see to take issue to orchestrated soundtracks.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 27, 2013, 04:03:02 PM
To be honest, I can never understand why many of you guys see to take issue to orchestrated soundtracks.
Because I find them boring unless they're done really, really well. When I play a game, I want to hear something fun and memorable that'll get me pumped up, like funk, punk, hip hop, electronica, etc. Add in some smooth jazz or blues for the downtime. I don't think orchestral scores detract from a game, but I think eclectic and original music can add to one.

I am completely baffled that games like Killer Is Dead, Duck Tales, Rise of the Triad, and Dragon's Crown can receive such awful scores for superficial reasons while utter pap like Final Fantasy 13 and its sequel can be considered a masterwork. Many people will never get to experience great games like the aforementioned four simply because "official" channels don't understand them and say they're bad. The past couple of months have made me hate game reviewers more than I already did.