Beat 'Em Ups

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 28, 2010, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

SNES

Captain Commando (the only port of the arcade game)
Sonic Blast Man II (the original is dull compared to this)
Brawl Brothers (Part 2 of the Rushing Beat Trilogy, and the best one)
Rival Turf! (Part 1 of the Rushing Beat Trilogy, and the least polished)
The Peacekeepers (Part 3 of the Rushing Beat Trilogy, and a fan favorite)
Final Fight 3 (If you haven't played it yet)
Battletoads In Battlemaniacs (I'm sure you've played it)
Death & Return Of Superman (It's not great, but you might enjoy it)
Knights Of The Round
Ninja Warriors
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie
Return Of Double Dragon/Super Double Dragon (Return is the better version as it is more complete)

As far as consoles go, this is the beat em up system.

Genesis

Alien Storm (kind-of a beat em up, it's weird but you might dig it)
The Punisher (only port of the arcade game)
Splatterhouse 2 (sort of a remake of the first game, a sidescroller)
Splatterhouse 3 (more traditional beat em up)

That's pretty much it. Other than the SoR and Golden Axe games, the beat em up genre isn't really heavily represented on the Genesis.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm familiar with some of those games that you listed, but there are definitely plenty in there which I have yet to try. When I get some free-time this weekend I'll look them up. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Oh I forgot the Batman games.

SNES - Adventures Of Batman & Robin (part beat em up, part adventure game, part platformer... it's really hard)
Genesis - Adventures Of Batman & Robin (Action platformer and beat em up... REALLY hard)
SNES/Genesis - Batman Returns (sidescrolling beat em up)
NES - Batman (platformer... REALLY hard)
Game Boy - Batman (platformer... also difficult IIRC)
NES - Batman Return Of Joker (action platformer and REALLY hard)

If I recall correctly, every Batman game after this until Arkham Asylum is bad. But those are pretty good.

I haven't played the Sega CD Batman Returns or the Saturn Adventures game so I can't comment on those, but starting with Batman Forever they all became uniformly awful.

Oh yeah and there's also the Genesis Turtles: Hyperstone Heist which is a pseudo original Turtles beat em up... Kinda.

It's worth playing but it doesn't touch Turtles In Time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Also, try out Comix Zone. It's a hard on player only single plane beat em up where every stage is a comic page and you have to go from panel to panel with the occassion path select within each page. I still can't beat my Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection copy of the game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 14, 2012, 09:29:22 PM
Oh I forgot the Batman games.

SNES - Adventures Of Batman & Robin (part beat em up, part adventure game, part platformer... it's really hard)
Genesis - Adventures Of Batman & Robin (Action platformer and beat em up... REALLY hard)
SNES/Genesis - Batman Returns (sidescrolling beat em up)
NES - Batman (platformer... REALLY hard)
Game Boy - Batman (platformer... also difficult IIRC)
NES - Batman Return Of Joker (action platformer and REALLY hard)

Thanks for those recommendations. Those are definitely worth checking out as well.

QuoteIf I recall correctly, every Batman game after this until Arkham Asylum is bad. But those are pretty good.

Well, IMO Vengeance certainly isn't a bad game, but its also kind of an aquired taste since the combat system sucks and some of the stealth can be frustrating. It still gets bonus points for successfully emulating the style of BTAS, though, as opposed to just feeling like another generic Batman game. It also has its moments, and unlike in the Arkham games, you can actually use some of Batman's vehicles.

Lord Dalek

Sega CD Batman Returns is the same game as the Genesis version with the addition of really hard and really choppy driving stages.

gunswordfist

Favorite Streets Of Rage characters:
1. Blaze (SOR1)/Blaze(SOR1 SORRV5 version): Me likey the speed!
2. Adam (Streets Of Rage remake) I use him 99% of the time in the game. I love his combination of a good moveset and special weapon attacks. I also make Jet my bitch with his flying punch attack. So useful.
3. Axel (Streets Of Rage 2 & 3) The only character I use post-SOR1 in the console games.
4. Axel (SOR1)

Still need to sort out where I'd rank Shiva.

Spark Of Spirit

Double Dragon Neon is out.

I fully recommend playing it! The game is not fast, it's very deliberate like the old DD games, and all the moves are satisfying to pull off. the soundtrack is also phenomenal, the remixes and some of the new tunes are fabulous. In fact the theme for Mission 2 is excellent: Choose Mango Tango and let your ears melt.

My only problem is the humor. It's not very Double Dragon and is WAY too over the top and hyper-ironic for my tastes aside from some simple physical gags. It feels like it's trying too hard to mock the 80s, and most of the humor feels much more Battletoads than Double Dragon.

That aside, if you're a beat em up fan, be sure to play it. It's not quite Double Dragon Advance excellent, but it's pretty great on its own merits.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I should also mention that IGN gave it a 3/10 because arcade games suck now.

So you know it's good!

gunswordfist

I thought the next Double Dragon would be some unplayable ass from what you've been saying (I'm guessing it was another one..or even better, a canceled one)

Now let's let lightning strike a few more times and see Streets Of Rage 4 and an actual Megaman game.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 12, 2012, 05:35:49 PM
I thought the next Double Dragon would be some unplayable ass from what you've been saying (I'm guessing it was another one..or even better, a canceled one)
There were two particularly awful looking DD2 remakes in the works and they both seem to have been canceled.

This one was made by WayForward, so 3D models aside, it's well worth playing.

Lord Dalek

DDA was DE-FIN-I-TIVE as far as Double Dragon goes in my opinion (seriously they devoted two pages in the manual to the crazy ass shit you could do in that game), so I doubt Wayforward can improve it any further.

Spark Of Spirit

This is more like a Parodius style tribute to Double Dragon and beat em ups in general. It's not as good as DDA, RODD, or DD2 NES but it's surprisingly fun.

And seriously, they nailed 80s arcades with the soundtrack. There's even one track that seems straight out of Violent Storm.

Eddy

Apparently, two years later, Ubisoft is finally adding online play to the Scott Pilgrim game.

The hilarious thing is they expect you to pay $5 for it. (It includes Wallace as a playable character too but, come on. One character and a feature that should be a FREE update does not warrant $5. Fuck Ubisoft.)

Rynnec

Quote from: Eddy on September 13, 2012, 01:02:48 AM
Apparently, two years later, Ubisoft is finally adding online play to the Scott Pilgrim game.

:swoon:

QuoteThe hilarious thing is they expect you to pay $5 for it.

:wth: