Beat 'Em Ups

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 28, 2010, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Lovers of 80s music and beat em ups- listen to this!

I like that he wrote a legitimate 80s pop song instead of a slapdash parody song which makes it work really well with that late 80s early 90s feel.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

So that would be the... third Streets Of Rage game Sega has canceled.

I have no idea what they have against this franchise.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 05, 2012, 02:31:14 PM
So that would be the... third Streets Of Rage game Sega has canceled.

I have no idea what they have against this franchise.
Really?!

I played the demo to Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed today. I have no clue why Amy made the game and not Axel. What in the hell?!

Spark Of Spirit

By the way, apparently there's an eshop River City Ransom game coming to the 3DS:

Quote- coming from Arc System Works
- called Riki Densetsu,
- features Riki, usually your main rival, as the hero
- Riki is a former star player for the school soccer team
- Riki was suspended after half of his team was beaten up by a rival school before the big match
- Riki beat up a bunch of dudes for revenge
- Riki is now squaring off against Mushamonzen, a biker gang led by the tracksuit-wearing, slightly insane Okada
- side-scrolling
- features the same pudgy character designs
- due out in Japan on December 12th for 800 yen
It would be nice to actually get this one.

Grave

Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 4
Ninja Gaiden Black
Ninja Gaiden 2
God of War 2
Shenmue

Beat em ups are my favorite type of game. If I'm not play SSF4 or UMvC3 you can find me playing one of these games. I don't really look for a challenge these days so I usually use these games to relieve some anger or stress (although, Warriors Orochi 3 and other forms of Dynasty Warrior games are currently quenching that). While I do have Bayonetta I've yet to get a chance to play it. Same can be said of God of War 3. Anyway, Devil May Cry 3 is the favorite of the bunch because I'm a sucker for cinemas, especially when they're flashy. And then the chance to play as Vergil, perhaps my favorite character in games.

As far as older titles go, I can hardly remember them.

Bad Dudes
Double Dragon
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Back in Time

gunswordfist

i startee shadow force for the first time about an hour ago. i, of course, picked the ninja. i soon found out how awesome the controls are. like in comix zone, you can press up or down to do a high or low version of the 3 attack types your character has, which lead me to a lot of different combos. plus, unlike cz, this is a multi-plane beat em up, which makes it that much better. i suck at playing this on a computer though, especially with how i have the jump button placed. i have to get used to it.

Spark Of Spirit

List time:

Classic style beat em ups

1. Double Dragon Advance
2. Streets of Rage 2
3. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
4. Battle Circuit
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
6. Violent Storm
7. Crime Fighters 2 / Vendetta
8. Sengoku 3
9. Double Dragon II (NES)
10. River City Ransom
11. Alien Vs. Predator
12. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project
13. Double Dragon Neon
14. Final Fight 3
15. Undercover Cops (Alpha Renewal)
16. Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
17. The Simpsons
18. The Punisher
19. Armored Warriors
20. Metamorphic Force
21. Shadow Force
22. Dungeons and Dragons: Shadows Over Mystara
23. Final Fight (Arcade)
24. Double Dragon (Arcade)
25. Return of Double Dragon
26. X-Men
27. Bare Knuckle 3
28. Golden Axe (Arcade)
29. Batman Returns (SNES)
30. Growl

Great games that I can always manage to come back to.

gunswordfist

I don't think I've ever heard of Battle Circuit, Metamorphic Force or Crime Fighters 2. Anyway, nice list.

Spark Of Spirit

Thanks. I added a few more entries to make it an even 30.

Still one of my favorite genres.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great list! Lacking Power Rangers (SNES) and Power Rangers The Movie (Genesis), as well as Comix Zone, but great all the same.

I need to play more of those games.

Spark Of Spirit

There's still great stuff missing on it, yeah. The genre has a lot of great games despite so many people dogging on it all the time. I had to go back and make it 30 entries because I forgot some classics on there.

gunswordfist

What makes the arcade version the best version for Golden Axe 1?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 12, 2015, 12:33:32 AM
What makes the arcade version the best version for Golden Axe 1?
It's just a better quality than the Genesis version in every area. The Genesis version isn't bad or anything, just that the arcade one is the better of them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's really mostly critics that trash the genre. I think that there are still many who love and respect the genre. I remember Castle Crashers from last generation being a good tribute to classic beat 'em up games.

I think that some modern gamers miss the point of the genre, though. When people compare them to the hack n' slash action games of today, they fail to realize that they are two completely different genres with different aims. One is more about intricate fighting with adventure elements, whereas the other is about more immediately gratifying and simple action that is easy to pick up but just challenging enough to keep you playing for a solid half hour or more at a time. Beat-em-ups were designed to cater to a very different type of purpose for gamers, and the best games in the genre excel at that.