Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

That's true. I'll have to watch it again after seeing the other movies!

I had the exact same experience with Serenity, btw.

Avaitor

I don't get the appeal of John Hughes. At least, not his high school films, because Planes, Trains and Automobiles kicks ass, as well as the original and Christmas Vacations. But I just can't relate to The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

What are you talking about? I totally related to Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles, and how her problems could've been easily resolved if she just talked instead of brooded while a racist caricature lived in her house for no properly explained reason.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 03, 2013, 10:33:42 PM
What are you talking about? I totally related to Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles, and how her problems could've been easily resolved if she just talked instead of brooded while a racist caricature lived in her house for no properly explained reason.
Okay, this one I would've been more fond of if it wasn't for that guy.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Got another one

This piece has earned a lot of respect from activists on tumblr, but am I the only one who finds J Law's method disrespectful to her future collaborators? Not to say that she needs to lose weight at all in practically any instance, but in the odd case when a director thinks she's tailor-made for, say, someone with an eating disorder in a film to raise self-awareness for them (and she is a talented actress, so it is possible for her to pull it off), and she refuses to look even thinner for it, that just seems like wasted potential to me.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I feel ashamed that Christian Bale won't cut off his arm in case he ever gets asked to play Captain Hook for a Peter Pan movie. If he refuses to adhere to accuracy, that just seems like wasted potential to me.

Karamazova

Quote from: Avaitor on February 04, 2013, 12:46:12 AM
Got another one

This piece has earned a lot of respect from activists on tumblr, but am I the only one who finds J Law's method disrespectful to her future collaborators? Not to say that she needs to lose weight at all in practically any instance, but in the odd case when a director thinks she's tailor-made for, say, someone with an eating disorder in a film to raise self-awareness for them (and she is a talented actress, so it is possible for her to pull it off), and she refuses to look even thinner for it, that just seems like wasted potential to me.

What I hated about the tumblr activists is that some of them slammed Anne Hathaway for losing weight to play Fantine in Les Mis.

Avaitor

Quote from: Karamazova on February 04, 2013, 12:55:49 AM
Got another one

What I hated about the tumblr activists is that some of them slammed Anne Hathaway for losing weight to play Fantine in Les Mis.
Did they?

But yeah, if Anne Hathaway can lose weight for a role, why is such a big deal for Lawrence to? Or am I just pulling at straws here?

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: GregX on February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM
Pixar movies put me to sleep.

Watching Cars 2, are we?  :sly:

Actually though, since we're going there, I've always thought Wall-E was really overrated. I mean, it's okay, but after a couple of viewings I still don't find myself enjoying it nearly as much as the bulk of their library.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: GregX on February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM
Ghibli movies put me to sleep.
Fixed.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 03, 2013, 07:48:33 PM
-Spider-Man 3 isn't really any more goofy or ridiculous than the other Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies. If you hated all of his SM movies in general, then it makes perfect sense to hate SM3 as well, but for people who got some fun out of his goofier take on the character (like myself), then SM3 really isn't that bad of a movie (I enjoyed it more than 2, if nothing else), yet people still insist that the first 2 movies are masterpieces and somehow the 3rd one is the only one with all of the problems.

-I like The Dark Knight Rises more than Batman Begins, which I honestly found to be the weakest film of the trilogy.

-Captain America: The First Avenger is my favorite film in the series of Marvel movies leading up to The Avengers. From what I can tell it was the least popular among them with general audiences.

-The Hobbit: And Unexpected Journey was pretty good. I didn't mind Peter Jackson taking what is essentially a children's tale and making it a bit darker to fit the tone of The Lord of the Rings. In terms of the movie itself, I think it worked out just fine.
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 03, 2013, 08:06:39 PM
I didn't hate Crystal Skull. Or Superman Returns. Or Episode III. Or Matrix Reloade

Damn, got to it first. Now I have to actually think about this

Quote from: Karamazova on February 04, 2013, 12:55:49 AM
Got another one

Tumblr users are really starting to get on my nerves.

No-Personality

I tire of being the only one who feels this way: Jaws. Is. Not. A. Horror. Film. (I hope I haven't talked about this here yet.) It's a prototypical blockbuster for what would basically become the 80's adventure film. Pre-Indiana Jones only with less archeology and a few shark attacks. Take the, maybe, 2 minutes (and I'm being generous) of actual shark carnage and the opening credits out of the movie and you have a family-drama/buddy-adventure comedy-thriller. Furthermore... did anyone care about the family in this movie? The mother and the kids didn't really have that much character stuff going on in the first place. It's kinda about the dudes (in every sense of the word). But, did anyone care about them either?

Oh, yeah... and: Piranha (1978) > Jaws. A strong female character (who doesn't need to go butch like Ripley, either) and a seriously likable kid character beat sharing war stories for the sake of male bonding any day. Also, Belinda Balaski's death scene almost brings me to tears (in fact, I think it did once). Nothing even remotely like that in Spielberg's film. Also, Dick Miller > Murray Hamilton, "the piranhas are eating the guests, sir" > "I think you're gonna need a bigger boat," Barbara Steele > ...well, there's no character equivalent to her (she plays a villain) but she's the perfect blend of class and understated dynamism (by the way, that's now 4 awesome female cast members - counting Shannon Collins as Grogan's daughter - to Lorraine Gary's ehhhh 1).

Now, the Disney Princess-film Ranking Conga: Sleeping Beauty > Cinderella > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs > Beauty and the Beast
(You all might not bat an eye, but this is hugely controversial on UD. Over there, the overwhelming opinion goes in exact reverse.)

Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I can't say I agree with a lot of UD's opinons. For one, the site is very biased towards the Renaissance films, the princess ones in particular.

At this point, I'm really sick of Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid.

New blog!

Foggle

I wouldn't really call Ripley "butch". Though it's been years since I've seen any of the Alien sequels. (Gotta' watch Aliens again before Colonial Marines comes out!)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on February 03, 2013, 10:28:21 PM
I don't get the appeal of John Hughes. At least, not his high school films, because Planes, Trains and Automobiles kicks ass, as well as the original and Christmas Vacations. But I just can't relate to The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller.
His other movies are better. Uncle Buck, Planes trains, the Great Outdoors and others he wrote. Hint: if it has John Candy in it and Hughes wrote it- it's worth watching. His teen films were never my favorites though I found a few funny.

His worst is Pretty In Pink, though. That I couldn't relate to even remotely.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Honestly, I find his other movies to suck too. Too much of the humor that would eventually culminate in Home Alone 3, Baby's Day Out, and 101 Dalmatians.