Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Cartoon Network has also adopted AS's "weird shit is funny" philosophy. Do kids really find shit like that funny?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Rynnec on April 02, 2012, 02:19:27 PM
Cartoon Network has also adopted AS's "weird shit is funny" philosophy. Do kids really find shit like that funny?
Judging from the ratings, no. Unless it's Adventure Time.

Lord Dalek

I'm not sure new shows are the answer just yet (that was what arguably killed Saturday Night Toonami in the first place). Start with bumpers and then gradually introduce new content. Prime the pump a little.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:19:54 PM
What? The kids don't love Problem Solverz? I'm SHOCKED, sir, SHOCKED!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 02, 2012, 02:20:44 PM
I'm not sure new shows are the answer just yet (that was what arguably killed Saturday Night Toonami in the first place). Start with bumpers and then gradually introduce new content. Prime the pump a little.
Admittedly, yeah. But it was because Toonami picked poor shows instead of new ones. I mean, who the hell even likes Prince of Tennis? Besides fangirls, I mean.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 02:22:10 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:19:54 PM
What? The kids don't love Problem Solverz? I'm SHOCKED, sir, SHOCKED!
*Cue Chdr*

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:23:11 PM
Admittedly, yeah. But it was because Toonami picked poor shows instead of new ones. I mean, who the hell even likes Prince of Tennis? Besides fangirls, I mean.
Or DICE, or Hamtaro, or Wulin Warriors... Toonami always had a bad apple in there somewhere, but it wasn't until the very end (last 2/3 years) where they pretty much grabbed anything they could get without any regard for whether it was something that would be worth it or not. Something Adult Swim took to like a duck to water.

Is there any reason Adult Swim didn't have shows like Archer, Bob's Burgers, or Monster on the block? Losing the Sealab/Frisky Dingo team to FX, Loren Bouchard to FOX, and the potential for actual adult anime to freaking SyFy for more of their sub-Aqua Teen and teenager-oriented anime further limiting their scope.

It's no different than how Toonami lost a lot of obvious shows that should have been there late in its run for little to no reason.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

And let's not forget that they lost fucking TTGL to SyFy (which would have gotten them insane ratings, I'm sure) and simultaneously how far downhill ATHF went.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I'm not even saying Monster would have been a hit, but if it was airing new episodes 5 days a week it probably would have caught on and at least been a modest success. The show never would have worked weekly, and as SyFy proved, it didn't.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on April 02, 2012, 08:53:56 AM
Oh, and since I finally got to watch the full hour of Cartoon Planet on my DVR, what would you say your favorite episode from that set was?

While it's not my favorite of the shows here, I really got a laugh out of the Cow & Chicken one myself. I mean, the Dexter, Johnny and PPG ones were still great too, but I feel like I've seen them enough times recently in comparison (especially JB, since I have that ep on DVD), but since I've seen C&C considerably less in recent times than the other three, it felt fresher and more welcome to me. And it was pretty funny to boot. Although if "Meet the Beat-Alls" did air as it was originally scheduled to, that would easily have been my favorite. That ep just never gets old.

If you wanted me to rank what we got, it'd look like this

1- Cow & Chicken
2- Johnny Bravo
3- Powerpuff Girls
4- Dexter's Lab
5- Foster's

I didn't really like the Foster's ep. I love Kevin McDonald and all, but there's only so much of his screeching that I can tolerate in an 11 minute span, and his running around yelling "STEVIE" throughout the whole episode nearly made me deaf. And the rest of the characters were overly obnoxious here as well, aside from maybe Mac.
Was that the Cow & Chicken episode with the giant cigarette? If so then that's the only good episode. Like how Billy & Mandy's only good episode is the first one...and the clown episode.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 02:23:11 PM
Or DICE, or Hamtaro, or Wulin Warriors... Toonami always had a bad apple in there somewhere, but it wasn't until the very end (last 2/3 years) where they pretty much grabbed anything they could get without any regard for whether it was something that would be worth it or not. Something Adult Swim took to like a duck to water.

Is there any reason Adult Swim didn't have shows like Archer, Bob's Burgers, or Monster on the block? Losing the Sealab/Frisky Dingo team to FX, Loren Bouchard to FOX, and the potential for actual adult anime to freaking SyFy for more of their sub-Aqua Teen and teenager-oriented anime further limiting their scope.

It's no different than how Toonami lost a lot of obvious shows that should have been there late in its run for little to no reason.
[/quote]Huh?! I never watched it but wouldn't Hamtaro be good in the mix? I think Toonami would be fine with some variety like that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 02, 2012, 06:52:51 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on April 02, 2012, 08:53:56 AM
Oh, and since I finally got to watch the full hour of Cartoon Planet on my DVR, what would you say your favorite episode from that set was?

While it's not my favorite of the shows here, I really got a laugh out of the Cow & Chicken one myself. I mean, the Dexter, Johnny and PPG ones were still great too, but I feel like I've seen them enough times recently in comparison (especially JB, since I have that ep on DVD), but since I've seen C&C considerably less in recent times than the other three, it felt fresher and more welcome to me. And it was pretty funny to boot. Although if "Meet the Beat-Alls" did air as it was originally scheduled to, that would easily have been my favorite. That ep just never gets old.

If you wanted me to rank what we got, it'd look like this

1- Cow & Chicken
2- Johnny Bravo
3- Powerpuff Girls
4- Dexter's Lab
5- Foster's

I didn't really like the Foster's ep. I love Kevin McDonald and all, but there's only so much of his screeching that I can tolerate in an 11 minute span, and his running around yelling "STEVIE" throughout the whole episode nearly made me deaf. And the rest of the characters were overly obnoxious here as well, aside from maybe Mac.
Was that the Cow & Chicken episode with the giant cigarette? If so then that's the only good episode. Like how Billy & Mandy's only good episode is the first one...and the clown episode.
It's the one where they ran a meat shop in the cafteria.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Well, hey, I like Regular Show. Does that fall under the same category?  :sweat:

Pretty much everything else, though... you can just tell that stuff like Problem Solverz and SMFA and even MAD are AS castoffs that didn't quite make the cut for the older audiences (didn't Problem Solverz actually originate as an AS pilot, in fact?). SMFA especially; have you guys actually seen that one yet? I swear, there is so much toilet humor in that show, I was just counting down the seconds until they made their first dick joke (kid approved, of course).

Foggle

Daxdiv

Secret Mountain Fort Awesome.

It was some show that was a part of the Cartoonstitute program under the name Uncle Grandpa.

Kiddington

Quote from: Daxdiv on April 02, 2012, 07:40:26 PM
Secret Mountain Fort Awesome.

It was some show that was a part of the Cartoonstitute program under the name Uncle Grandpa.

Yeah, this.

I only watched it once, so I don't even know if it's still on anymore or what. It was pretty awful though, so I wouldn't be totally surprised to see it cancelled after one season.