Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on April 11, 2012, 12:35:14 AM
Or worse... Out Of Jimmy's Head.
I'd like to say that it isn't very possible at all since they're only airing half-episodes, but I hear that they're going to put on half-hour eps of PPG and Foster's soon, so that might just be fair game.

And yeah, I'd take Gym Partner over OOJH any day.

Edit: also, I'm not surprised that MGIAM is being missed already. There's already nostalgia for Hannah Montana and people claiming that they missed Wizards of Waverly Place, when it was still fucking running, so it kind of makes sense that every crap show that has ended will be considered "classics" by some.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

How can someone actually miss a show when it's still on the air? I mean really, how is that even possible?

...and I thought it was bad when people got all teary eyed and nostalgic over Lizzie McGuire. I really need to stop underestimating the internet when it comes to this kind of stuff. Never ceases to amaze.

Avaitor

I do also see people get nostalgic for SpongeBob and FOP, so it's not too bad I guess. But even those are like a decade old, plus FOP isn't anywhere near as prominent and SB isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be, while WOWP was barely like 5 and aired and was as stagnate as ever when it ended.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Kiddington on April 11, 2012, 02:04:19 AM
...and I thought it was bad when people got all teary eyed and nostalgic over Lizzie McGuire. I really need to stop underestimating the internet when it comes to this kind of stuff. Never ceases to amaze.

We just gotta step back and realize we're getting old. More and more people are getting access to the internet nowadays, and the next generation of kids are making their presence known now. A few months ago, I was seeing Drake and Josh threads on /v/ and it was treated like a nostalgia thread. Sometimes I look up old anime dub openings on Youtube and I see people younger than me reminiscing about Kids WB or Fox Box or even Miguzi.

It's a bit shameful to see some people with pretty tight nostalgia googles though. I still like a lot of stuff from my childhood but I always get annoyed when I see others take those things as a reason to look down upon anything made in the last few years.

Avaitor

It's true. 13 is considered the criterion age for most sites, including this one, and 13-year-olds today wouldn't be able to remember the 90's at all. Or 9/11. Or a music industry without streaming music and where MTV showed videos. That's kind of scary.

I think like how nostalgia for the 80's peaked in the mid 00's then died out as the decade went on as the 20-30 somethings that supported the boost of sales for Transformers stuff grew up and started raising families of their own, the same will happen to the 90's kick that we're in now in a couple of years. There's already a bit of a demand for stuff from last decade to return, so it might happen even sooner than we think.

New blog!

Foggle

10 years from now:

MAN, YOU GUYS REMEMBER CALL OF DUTY? THAT WAS THE SHIT

:shit:

Lord Dalek

When I was 13... PPG had just premiered, Dexter and Cow and Chicken were still airing new episodes, and nobody gave a shit about Spongebob.

I weep for da yoof.

Spark Of Spirit

Maybe it's because I don't get heavily nostalgic (I tend to just watch an old show if I want to watch it), but usually people get nostalgic for the good things from when they were kids. I don't remember most of the lesser stuff (even if I enjoyed it then) or use it as example of why TV or whatever was better then as opposed to now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Angus

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 11, 2012, 10:04:36 AM
When I was 13... PPG had just premiered, Dexter and Cow and Chicken were still airing new episodes, and nobody gave a shit about Spongebob.

I weep for da yoof.

I remember the Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast episode that promoted those shows.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Another week, another ep of Cartoon Planet. Here's my rankings.

Dexter's Lab
I Am Weasel
Evil Con Carne
Courage
Kids Next Door

A pretty solid set. Even the KND episode had a couple of good lines ("Where'd you find with that fact?" "I made it up myself! That way, I know it's true."). This'll probably be the only time I rank Evil Con Carne over something like Courage, but I have a soft spot for the Grim & Evil run of the show, particularly this episode, the musical one. Dexter was my favorite since the ep contains the best aspects of the brother-sister/boy-girl relationship between Dexter and Dee Dee, which I think is what makes the show so great.

New blog!

Kiddington

Wow, are you kidding me? I miss Cartoon Planet again, and they run an Evil Con Carne short?

I really need to start recording this in advance. Man, I kinda miss that show. Definitely the better half of Billy and Mandy.

Avaitor

If we're talking the first season, I wouldn't be against that so much, but when they became their own shows, I think that ECC couldn't hold its own.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on April 13, 2012, 10:52:29 PM
If we're talking the first season, I wouldn't be against that so much, but when they became their own shows, I think that ECC couldn't hold its own.

That's actually what I meant, yeah.

Really, I don't remember too much about the material from when the two shows were split, but apparently it wasn't good enough to sustain another season. But when they had them both running together, personally, I liked the ECC segments more.

Avaitor

I don't remember much from when it split either, but from what I do recall, Con Carne wasn't as good at 11-minute segments as it's earlier 7-minute shorts, while Billy & Mandy really seemed to work best with extended time. Obviously I wasn't the only one to think that, since B&M didn't take off until it became its own show, while ECC faded into obscurity fast.

New blog!