Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Obviously it's the new Superman: The Brave & The Bold.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Nah, it's K-On, obviously. :>

Goldstar

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 16, 2012, 04:11:35 PM
So according to Twitter, Toonami is back on May 26. Here's a new change of pants.

So Toonami is back for real. Well, shut my mouth.

Even so, I really hope that there will be some new programming on the Adult Swim Toonami block, because if it's just going to be the same Saturday night AS anime programs but with Toonami wraparounds then I really don't see the point of doing it. The block is (or at least should be) about the shows. The wraparounds are the toppings, not the pizza.

Similarly, even if some "oldies-but-goodies" such as DBZ or The Big O are brought back, there should be some never before seen on AS programs on the block as well. An AS Toonami block made up of nothing but old shows wouldn't last very long.

As for which version of TOM will be used, I read that it's confirmed to be TOM 3, only in hi-def. But really, any version of TOM would be OK with me, as long as it's not TOM 4, which was easily my least favorite TOM design. I didn't like that TOM had a face. He just seems cooler without one.

QuoteObviously it's the new Superman: The Brave & The Bold.

I know that you typed that as a joke, but a DC Comics Presents animated series would be sweeeet.  :thumbup:
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

I would love for DC or Marvel to make a series full of one-offs or short story arc dedicated to their lesser heroes, and not just team them up with bigger names like Batman and Spider-Man, so they can get time of their own to breath and introduce themselves to a mainstream audience. I guess a Showcase would be the correct term.

I don't think a Blue Beetle or Power Man & Iron Fist would sell on their own; in a show like this, they just might work.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

This weeks Cartoon Planet set:

Courage the Cowardly Dog - Return of the Chicken from Outer Space

Camp Lazlo - Don't care

Powerpuff Girls - Boogie Frights

Ed Edd'n Eddy - A Glass of Warm Ed

Avaitor

Here's this week's rankings.

EEnE
PPG
Courage
Camp Lazlo

Season 1 Powerpuff>Season 1 Ed's, but I still went with the Ed boys this week. There's nothing like seeing Ed float up around the Cul-De-Sac with a pair of panties in his mouth.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT I FINALLY CAUGHT IT THIS WEEK  :light:

EEnE, PPG, and Courage were all great. And par for the course, Lazlo was awful. Was there ever a period when this show was even remotely watchable?

Now as far as the bumps are concerned... eh. I dunno. It's nice to see these characters back on TV again, but I've got to be honest, none of these little shorts really made me laugh much at all. I love Zorak, but he just isn't the same without Space Ghost (or lacing drunken profanity  :awesome:). I appreciate the effort, but I didn't like these segments as much as I thought I would.

I'll give it another few tries before I reach a verdict on these, though. Again, I like the characters, but something just felt... off. We'll see what I think of them next week.

Avaitor

Pretty solid set this week. I liked everything, and here's my rankings.

Flapjack- Jeff Bennett does a GREAT James Mason impression. There isn't much to the Captain Nemo-like character, but I got a kick out of this episode.
Johnny Bravo- Probably a little higher than it should be, since this is a retread of the Adam West episode. But it's hard to knock an episode with Mr. T AND Richard Simmons playing themselves. Campy goodness.
Billy & Mandy- Damn, I haven't seen the pilot in years. It's... kinda dark, although I guess not for B&M's standards. I think I enjoy it even more now that I've seen the Seventh Seal.
Dial M for Monkey- I'm still not a fan of Monkey, but I like this one, if only cause I got to see the full cast of Justice Friends again, and realize that literally all of them are parodies of Avengers members. Plus, the idea of Monkey coming out from under Rassler's massive attacks reminds me of a classic Daredevil story (#7, to be exact, which would've made my top 50, if not 30) when DD survives all of Namor's bashings when he decides to take his frustration with humanity out on NY. So yeah, fun stuff.
Cow & Chicken- This continues the Chicken being a giant asshole to Cow trend that I hate in the show, which is why it's last. But even it has some funny moments.

New blog!

Avaitor

Dexter's Lab
Courage
I M Weasel
Evil Con Carne
Kids Next Door

All season 1 stuff tonight. Well, I  thought that the Dexter and Courage eps are classics (the first appearance of Mandark and the one with Bigfoot), the Weasel and Con Carne ones were fun, if nothing spectacular, and KND was irritating. This is exactly how I'd rank the 5 shows, and how I'd consider them myself.

Also, is it just me, or did Dexter have a weird obsession with showing his ass a lot back in the day?

New blog!

Commode

There was a lot of butts in kids' cartoons back in the day, hell that was one of I R Baboon's main traits.  I don't think it flies as much in this day and age though, even The Simpsons isn't allowed to show Homer's butt anymore.  Thanks a lot Janet Jackson.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

I can't recall the last time that there was an on screen mooning in animation that showed the ass. Or at least in Western Animation, haven't been keeping tabs elsewhere. I think even the Total Drama series censored the asses with that mosaic, but I just write that off as what most reality shows do when someone is naked on screen.

EDIT: The only examples I can think of right now are Family Guy, South Park, and maybe most of the Adult Swim line-up.

Avaitor

Yeah, even Archer doesn't do ass shots to my memory. This is a pretty weird subject to talk about though.

But I will say that one double standard I don't get is why is it such a "naughty" thing to show a woman in her underwear while it's perfectly fine to show men in theirs. Uh, unless the chick is wearing a thong, guys have a lot less to the imagination hanging out in his draws. And even then, you'd think it would be better to show an ass cheek than junk lines.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 17, 2012, 11:37:12 AM
I would love for DC or Marvel to make a series full of one-offs or short story arc dedicated to their lesser heroes, and not just team them up with bigger names like Batman and Spider-Man, so they can get time of their own to breath and introduce themselves to a mainstream audience. I guess a Showcase would be the correct term.

I don't think a Blue Beetle or Power Man & Iron Fist would sell on their own; in a show like this, they just might work.
Oh jeez. I'd kill for Iron Fist. Putting a whole bunch of shorts together and then waiting for fan demand to upgrade them to full fledged series would be great. We need a Silver Surfer and other cosmic hero shows.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Goldstar

It would be nice if Cartoon Network would air Sheep in the Big City on Cartoon Planet, although I know that would be a problem, what with each Sheep episode being a full half hour and CP itself being only 1 hour; a 22 minute episode would be half the show. CP should only run 22 minute episodes if the network were to expand the block to 90 minutes or 2 hours. The problem with that is the fact that Adult Swim starts at 9PM (EST), so CP would have to start earlier in the evening if the block were to be expanded.

I was going to suggest Megas XLR as well, but Megas, while funny, is probably considered too "action-y"  to be a good fot for Cartoon Planet.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

There's no reason for [as] to occupy the 9 PM spot, in all honesty. Especially on Fridays. They can always start a half or full hour later and extend Cartoon Planet a little.

New blog!