RPGs

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 25, 2011, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 20, 2015, 07:31:38 PM
Does anyone else think Nintendo should make a turn-based RPG starting various Nintendo stars?
Yes.

I've been wanting a Smash Bros. RPG since forever.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 20, 2015, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 20, 2015, 07:31:38 PM
Does anyone else think Nintendo should make a turn-based RPG starting various Nintendo stars?
Yes.

I've been wanting a Smash Bros. RPG since forever.

I was thinking of some potential ideas for it, if it were to happen (which it probably won't).

- It would be 2D and released on the 3DS. I wouldn't have any issue with it being on the Wii U. I just have a feeling it would be handheld.

- There would be seven characters you would get, with up to three at a time being usable. Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Link, Pikachi, Samus, and Star Fox. I tried keeping it to only the most recognizable characters from long running franchises. No franchise gets double billing, but I wouldn't be totally against throwing Luigi in there. I'm fine with him having the same role as he did in Paper Mario 64, though.

- You would start the game as Mario, and would recruit the other characters along the way. However, I don't necessarily imagine him as the main character. It's more like they are all equally important even though you don't get them all right away. Basically, Mario doesn't have to be locked into the main 3-person party. The game would begin in Mushroom Kingdom/Toad Town and you would make your way from there to Hyrule and other places.

- The main characters wouldn't have dialogue (but NPCs would, of course). Of those characters, the only one who consistently talks in their own franchise is Fox, so I think it would be best that the whole team is silent because it would be kind of awkward if he talked but no one else did. They would interact with each other with actions and their typical yelps and whatnot (and, in the case of Mario and Pikachu, their catchphrases). I believe Nintendo could convince us of a bond between these characters without any dialogue.

Feel free to comment on my ideas.

Spark Of Spirit

If we're talking dreams here, I would have Yoshitaka Murayama as the lead designer and base the basic party system on Suikoden.

By the way, I'm not saying it should be a clone of Suikoden, but being able to recruit dozens of Nintendo characters to your party as well as have them do things like build shops and get better items for you to buy would be the best way to go. That way you can have a giant selection of Nintendo favorites in the game without missing any.

Of course, you would start the game as Mario and move on from there. I would have him be the only character without dialogue except for the ones who traditionally don't talk either. Everyone else would speak.

I'd have the battle system itself be a mix between Mario and Luigi's button actions and Paper Mario's straightforward menus.

That's me spit-balling.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

That reminds me that I always use to want a "Paper Mario & Luigi", a collaboration between the two teams. It would be pretty interesting and would do something for two sub-series' that have been run into the ground by now.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 20, 2015, 09:33:22 PMexcept for the ones who traditionally don't talk either.

Who would that include? Fox? :P

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 20, 2015, 09:46:28 PMWho would that include? Fox? :P
Yoshi, Donkey Kong and other Kongs, Kirby, and the Pokemon. Others like those.

I just imagined a scenario where the party hires Kyle Hyde from Hotel Dusk to track down rumors to give hints to the player. Stuff like that would be great.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 20, 2015, 09:51:41 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 20, 2015, 09:46:28 PMWho would that include? Fox? :P

Those fit into the catchphrases I mentioned.

Mario: "Let's go!" "Mario!"
Kirby: "Hiii!"
Donkey Kong: "Yeeeeah!"
Pikachu: "Pikachu!"
Yoshi: "Yoshiii!"

When I said they wouldn't have dialogue, I envisioned them retaining these phrases with their typical voice acting.

I get what you mean about Kyle Hyde, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 20, 2015, 09:56:13 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 20, 2015, 09:51:41 PM

Those fit into the catchphrases I mentioned.

Mario: "Let's go!" "Mario!"
Kirby: "Hiii!"
Donkey Kong: "Yeeeeah!"
Pikachu: "Pikachu!"
Yoshi: "Yoshiii!"

When I said they wouldn't have dialogue, I envisioned them retaining these phrases with their typical voice acting.

I get what you mean about Kyle Hyde, though.
Oh yeah, I get what you mean now.

On the other hand, figuring out how to recruit Captain Falcon, Ness, Little Mac, Ice Climbers, or Marth, would definitely be rewarding to any Nintendo fan looking for ways to expand their party options. Especially if they can throw in nods to characters like Geno, Mallow, or the Paper Mario partners.

talonmalon333

I do like that idea. The idea I was going for with my 7-hero team was more of a smaller, personal thing. Kind of reminds me of the classics, like Chrono Trigger, where the team was relatively small, but you got the sense that there was a bond between them. I feel like there would be a level of satisfaction seeing these big Nintendo characters uniting as teammates and friends, and a bittersweet feeling when the game reaches its end and they all return to their home worlds/lands.

talonmalon333

I just recently learned that the early Final Fantasy games were released on PSP. Is anyone here familiar with those versions?

Spark Of Spirit

They're not as good versions of the GBA games, IIRC.

talonmalon333

In what ways are they downgraded?

Foggle

I believe they have slightly higher resolution graphics but horrific load times.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 26, 2015, 04:01:43 PM
I believe they have slightly higher resolution graphics but horrific load times.
That and I think they're missing the extras from the GBA versions. Or at least some content.

Again, it's been awhile.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 26, 2015, 04:08:02 PM
That and I think they're missing the extras from the GBA versions. Or at least some content.

Again, it's been awhile.

"Again"? Wait, when did you say this before to warrant that word usage? :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 26, 2015, 04:18:32 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 26, 2015, 04:08:02 PM

Again, it's been awhile.

"Again"? Wait, when did you say this before to warrant that word usage? :P

He said "IIRC" the first time that he responded to you about the FF games on the GBA.

A better question is why are you nitpicking such a minor detail? :thinkin: