What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Just tried it with my flat panel, running Street Fighter Alpha 2.  Also played a tiny bit of SMW(due to the lag I got frustrated after only a couple jumps) and Wayne's World.

Bonus: A picture of my normal, albeit messy, retro setup.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I can't stand button lag. The #1 reason I keep my CRT screen around.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Does button lag happen on newer non-HD consoles like the N64 and DC? I've never experienced any on my LCD.

Spark Of Spirit

It's hard to get straight answers on the button lag issue for TVs.

For instance, PS2 classics on the PS3 apparently have button lag on HDTVs, but not on ones like my CRT. But of course, because it's not a HDTV, the picture is not as good as it could be. Balancing them out, it makes more sense to stick with my CRT screen for my PS3.

If someone could tell me the ideal TV for gaming, it would be doing me a great favor.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I guess my PS2 and other non-HD consoles must just have button lag so miniscule that I don't notice it. Perhaps because my LCD isn't particularly new or fancy?

Spark Of Spirit

I don't think LCDs have the issue. It's specifically a HD issue.

Foggle

My TV is HD but it only goes up to 1080i. Maybe that's why...?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 09, 2015, 11:11:06 PM
My TV is HD but it only goes up to 1080i. Maybe that's why...?
This is why it's confusing.  :sweat:

Commode

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 09, 2015, 09:31:08 PM
That collection is beautiful, Comeau.
yeah, but sometimes I think I have too much stuff.  Usually solve that by getting more though.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Thanks for the help.

I figured I'd add this info into the situation. For my old television, these are the two cords I use, which work on that TV.
http://atariace.com/images/atariace.com/nintendo/images/nes_rf_adapter.jpg
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mZxV4KEtuXuIRB6OloJ6qfg.jpg

For some reason, however, those do not work on my HD TV. I'd like to get the SNES to work there with as little lag and picture ruining as possible.

I'm going to go back and try to sort this out some more today (or tomorrow, if I don't get the chance today). If I still have no luck, I might take pictures of the setup to show you guys.

Quote from: Comeau on March 09, 2015, 08:13:20 PM
For SNES you can also try the old RF adapters(I personally only use this for my Japanese Famicom, since I have no other option there), you just won't get quite as good as a picture.

Would that picture be any worse than on one of those old TVs the SNES was made for?

Quote from: Comeau on March 09, 2015, 08:08:43 PM
I use a CRT too, a 19".  But if you are trying to play it on a flat panel you can simply use the A/V cables that come with either it or the N64.  Your flat panel does have the red/yellow/white jacks on the back right?

However, depending on the type of TV and the game you are trying to play, you will experience varying degrees of lag.

Yes. Specifically, I use one of those little composite cable boxes for all of my newer consoles. It looks like this but is bigger. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1790192869_1/3-in-1-font-b-Composite-b-font-RCA-AV-Audio-Video-Selector-font-b-Switch.jpg

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on March 10, 2015, 08:21:53 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on March 09, 2015, 09:31:08 PM
That collection is beautiful, Comeau.
yeah, but sometimes I think I have too much stuff.  Usually solve that by getting more though.

At least you're not collecting amiibos.  :humhumhum:

Commode

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 10, 2015, 11:48:22 AM

Quote from: Comeau on March 09, 2015, 08:13:20 PM
For SNES you can also try the old RF adapters(I personally only use this for my Japanese Famicom, since I have no other option there), you just won't get quite as good as a picture.

Would that picture be any worse than on one of those old TVs the SNES was made for?

Quote from: Comeau on March 09, 2015, 08:08:43 PM
I use a CRT too, a 19".  But if you are trying to play it on a flat panel you can simply use the A/V cables that come with either it or the N64.  Your flat panel does have the red/yellow/white jacks on the back right?

However, depending on the type of TV and the game you are trying to play, you will experience varying degrees of lag.

Yes. Specifically, I use one of those little composite cable boxes for all of my newer consoles. It looks like this but is bigger. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1790192869_1/3-in-1-font-b-Composite-b-font-RCA-AV-Audio-Video-Selector-font-b-Switch.jpg
Not familiar with these boxes tbh, you don't have any jacks that go directly into the TV?  Do you have a simple red/white/yellow hookup(aka A/V), or the one with more colors like green and blue(composite)?  How does this box connect to the TV, via A/V cables?

The RF adapter doesn't work on the HDTV, even when plugged into the coax in jack?  I'm honestly confused, because I've never come across a TV set that I wasn't at least able to use an RF adapter, even the really really old knob turner TV's that weren't cable ready could be made to play with an RF adapter via a cheap Radio Shack splitter.  But just about every TV from the mid 80s on has the coax cable in jack that the RF box should connect to and work on.

Also yeah, the RF connection is always a worse picture(sometimes marginally, sometimes significantly) than an A/V connection.  Not sure how bad input lag is using RF though, pretty sure it's still present.  I'm at work tonight, but tomorrow when I get home I guess I'll have to try it out(though I think I've done it before and didn't care for it).

Commode

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916396-super-nintendo/68897490

Found this, specifically:
QuoteA lot of HDTVs are designed, by default, to not allow a signal lower than 480p to pass through specific connections. The SNES out puts to 240i. My Samsung, for example, can't take the signal over HDMI through my TV Tuner, so I have to split it at the composite level.

What you could try doing, if you're willing to spend the money, is get a composite/component/s-video-to-HDMI upgrading converter. They sell them on Amazon from around $25-$50, depending on the vendor. They won't make the image look much better, but a lot of them can be manually set to output at 720p or 1080p.

I don't know though, I've never ran across this issue.  My room mate has a 4K TV(mine's not even a Smart TV), maybe I can try some experimenting with that one to see if the SNES works or not.