First Person Shooters: The Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 09, 2011, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

I also have games I need to catch up on (mainly Borderlands 2 and Halo 4), although I highly doubt I will since I lose interest in the games fairly quick now.

I did like Halo 3 (despite them floods) and Reach though.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Play Reach if you haven't tried it yet. It's MUCH better than Halo 3 and 4, IMO.

gunswordfist

I have it but can't get it to work on my 360.

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 20, 2013, 08:00:10 PM
It looks like I am on the verge of beating Halo 3 even though I've barely played the game over the last few days so I'll list my favorite FPSes so far from lastgen:

8. Prey
7. Far Cry Predator Instincts
6. Condemned 2
5. Crysis
4. The Darkness
3. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
2. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
1. Bulletstorm

There's a lot of FPSes I haven't played yet (any Bioshock or Borderlands, The Darkness 2) and some I haven't finished (Dishonored, Far Cry 2 (forget about me ever beating FC2. Nice multiplayer though, Far Cry 3 (only played co-op), Battlefield Bad Company 2, BF3 hardly counts nor does CoD..Black Ops, I think, Crysis 2)
New "Every Last Gen FP I've beaten" list:

9. Prey
8. Far Cry Predator Instincts
7. Condemned 2
6. Crysis
5. Halo 3
4. The Darkness
3. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
2. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
1. Bulletstorm

This list reminds me that I need to replay The Darkness. Also, does Perfect Dark for 360 count?

Also, I actually bumped this thread for another reason but came across my list. The reason: Has anyone here played Syndicate? I watched footage of it years ago and it looks like Starbreeze's take on Deus Ex Human Revolution (how awesome does that sound?) I've heard nothing about it from fans, just kind of found its page on GameSpot, so I'm keeping my expectations low. This all reminds me that I really need to get The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena. Lastly, when I was just looking for Syndicate's name, I saw news about Starbreeze making a new scifi shooter that'll be co-op. I need to check out info on that asap.

Rynnec

Does anyone know how good the new Wolfenstein is?

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on June 01, 2014, 12:51:10 AM
Micki! says it's amazing. I still need to play it myself, but it looks excellent to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watch these YouTube Walkthrough videos from this guy called Seraphim17 (he did some really good guides for DMC1, DMC3, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma on their hardest difficulties), who does a lot of interesting guides for a variety of games, and seems to have similar tastes to mine since he's a guy who has a lot of old-school gameplay mentalities. He said the game was excellent, which is what piqued my interest in it.

Micki!

Quote from: Rynnec on June 01, 2014, 12:51:10 AM

It's very good..!

Expect some corny reality-breaking moments, which effectively suit the games charm and style, and apart rfom a few awkward cutscenes, it's actually an incredibly solid game..! Shooting is great fun, and they handle the plot really well, and the german voice acting works extremely well, compared to the german-accent verisons from Wolf 2009 and RtCW..!
The game has no multiplayer, so get it for the singleplayer if that's what you really want, the singleplayer is a blast though, very fun and has great pacing..!

it's a little awkward at first having more "modern" weapons in a wolfenstein game, but the feel of nazi-germany never changes, if anything, it just got intensively emphasized because of how it changed events in the game-world due to the games plot, and stands out a LOT more than the other wolfenstein games, and their ideologies and power feel way more frightening because they're actually brought up for once, showing you why they're doing what they do, whereas in earlier games it was mostly just saying "nazi's wanna take over the world by doing these crazy things" which didn't really dig into the players moral core of wanting to fight for a reason, so it's nice to actually bring these things up now and give the nazi's some more personality..!

The game eventually goes pretty crazy later on, but by the time you've grown used to the sometimes odd changes you go through by naturally progressing, the over-the-top moments late really don't come as anything surprising... Looking back, it's really no different than how in Wolf3D you fight guards in a castle, and later hitler-looking phantoms, or how in RtCW you end up fighting a re-animated german warrior from the middle ages... so really, it's not actually crossing over any lines in this one either :P

So yeah, i recommend it, maybe wait for the summer sale on steam to get it though, i mean that seriously can't be too long i'm sure, unless you're just aching for a new FPS to play..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

With my extended time away from this genre due to burnout, I'm kind of getting the desire to start playing some of these games again. I really feel like revisiting F.E.A.R. in particular. I should probably go back to BSI and finally finish it off, but I honestly just got tired of that game. F.E.A.R. is a game with excellent mechanics and fun combat, so I think I'm more likely to just replay that instead.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been replaying it, and man, I forgot just how damn good the kills in this game feel.

One thing that surprises me is that the console version actually doesn't move at 60 FPS like I thought. I can clearly notice it after having played many recent games that do have that frame rate,and the funny thing is that I'm pretty sure that the XBOX360 could very much handle this game at 60 FPS, but I'm guessing that the reason it doesn't has to do with Day 1 Studio's port job.

gunswordfist

People make it sound like 60 FPSs is still impossible so who knows.

Anyway, I've never played Fear or any Bioshock. I have some catching up to do with last gen shooters, including any Borderlands, Butcher Bay, Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I should hit up Bulletstorm sometime. It's something that always seemed up my alley, but for whatever reason I never got around to it. I imagine that it would be dirt cheap if I bought it now.

gunswordfist

It has to. I believe I had that as my no. 1 FPS from last gen. The adventure is good and has a nice length and there's a decent variety of weapons with cool secondary firing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Holy Trinity of FPS games:

DOOM 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
F.E.A.R.

Yes or no?

I'd include Half-Life, but I used F.E.A.R. as the stand-in for it because it's better. This is fact.