First Person Shooters: The Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 09, 2011, 07:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedy

Just finished Duke Nukem 3D: The Megaton Edition for PS3.  I know the series was made into a laughingstock thanks to Forever taking, well, forever to come out (and when it DID come out, not meeting expectations), but go back and play 3D.  It holds up -extremely- well.  In fact, I'd easily rank it over the original DOOM.

Foggle

Quote from: Speedy on January 23, 2015, 10:39:16 AM
Just finished Duke Nukem 3D: The Megaton Edition for PS3.  I know the series was made into a laughingstock thanks to Forever taking, well, forever to come out (and when it DID come out, not meeting expectations), but go back and play 3D.  It holds up -extremely- well.  In fact, I'd easily rank it over the original DOOM.
Yes, thank you!! I love Duke Nukem 3D! The second episode is fairly tedious, but the other three are just fantastic. Probably my second favorite 3D-but-actually-2D shooter after Blood. :)

Does the PS3 version come with the third party expansion packs? If so, definitely play Duke Caribbean - that one's a blast! Ignore the other two, though.

Speedy

Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2015, 10:54:33 AMDoes the PS3 version come with the third party expansion packs? If so, definitely play Duke Caribbean - that one's a blast! Ignore the other two, though. 
Yes, Megaton includes Duke it Out in D.C., Nuclear Winter, and Duke Caribbean.  Of the three, my favorite was easily Nuclear Winter.  It's so nutty blasting away bad guys while cheerful Christmas music plays in the background.   ;D

Duke Caribbean was fun too, though.  I especially dug the '80s leisure suits and sunglasses on the bad guys.

Foggle

Ah, I didn't really care for Nuclear Winter, but the Christmassy music definitely made it quite amusing. :) Duke It Out In DC is actually pretty good too, but some of the levels are so big that they just become confusing and tedious to play through. Don't think I'll ever touch that one again.

Speedy

Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2015, 12:43:28 PMDuke It Out In DC is actually pretty good too, but some of the levels are so big that they just become confusing and tedious to play through. Don't think I'll ever touch that one again.
Like "Smithsonian".  Ugh.

Foggle

Quote from: Speedy on January 23, 2015, 12:54:30 PM
Like "Smithsonian".  Ugh.
Ugh, yeah. I'm pretty sure that one took me over 2 hours to beat... :cry:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Speedy on January 23, 2015, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 23, 2015, 10:54:33 AMDoes the PS3 version come with the third party expansion packs? If so, definitely play Duke Caribbean - that one's a blast! Ignore the other two, though. 
Yes, Megaton includes Duke it Out in D.C., Nuclear Winter, and Duke Caribbean.  Of the three, my favorite was easily Nuclear Winter.  It's so nutty blasting away bad guys while cheerful Christmas music plays in the background.   ;D

Duke Caribbean was fun too, though.  I especially dug the '80s leisure suits and sunglasses on the bad guys.
Oh, cool, it includes the DLC. I'll definitely put it on my wishlist.

I had Caribbean long ago and it was a lot of fun. I definitely need to play it again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

i was going to ask what's the difference atomic and megaton edition. i am still doing my 2nd playthrough of atomic, this time on come get some mode and i played the first two secret levels for the first time, including spin cycle about a week ago. i have been enjoying this game more after leaving disappointed during my initial run. the game is much better with more frequent enemy encounters.

i am on the 2nd episode. (mission 7) it seems more bearable this time around and i think this is the episode where my opinion of duke started to sour after the great first episode. i am liking exploring the space levels and have been dying less frequently from the traps, with me only getting about one cheap smash death (namely from a reaking keycard case). it's just mostly me loving being in space now. i also have developed a new love for the devastator (which i didn't like too much because i could blow myself up with it) and the shrinker, which works on a surprising amount of enemies
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

i will put it on my wishlist as well.

gunswordfist

are the bond fpses such as nightfire any good?

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 04, 2015, 09:13:33 PM
are the bond fpses such as nightfire any good?
Nightfire was one of my favorite games as a kid! The multiplayer was actually even better than Goldeneye's IMO, and the single-player was pretty good too. Avoid the PC version, though; it's terrible.

Spark Of Spirit

Nightfire was great.

I can't remember if that was the game with the Q-Claw in multiplayer, but that was awesome. It was like a Spider-Man FPS.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 04, 2015, 11:38:46 PM
can you zipline with it?
Yes. You can also stick to any surface with it and it allows you to shoot from any surface. Firefights get nuts.