Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 02, 2013, 11:21:03 PM
What I'm saying is that the most annoying Nintendo fans are Metroid fans.
Not even close. I agree that the idiots whining about Retro making Donkey Kong games now are annoying, but still. At the moment, a lot of folks are simply afraid that Other M killed the franchise, and rightly so.

IMO Metroid is Nintendo's best property so :bleh:.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 02, 2013, 11:42:11 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 02, 2013, 11:21:03 PM
What I'm saying is that the most annoying Nintendo fans are Metroid fans.
Not even close. I agree that the people whining about Retro making Donkey Kong games now is annoying, but still. At the moment, a lot of people are simply afraid that Other M killed the franchise, and rightly so.
Metroid isn't dead, it's just not a priority. Why they ever made it a priority over games that sold more like Kirby or Yoshi (now THERE'S a fanbase that should be whining) or Donkey Kong made little sense since even at their best Metroid games never sold that well.

And hearing that Nintendo is doing what a smart business should be doing and is making games that sell over games that don't and is somehow wrong for doing so is aggravating. Especially when it ALWAYS derails any conversation for fans to get into.

I don't see Star Fox or F-Zero fans going into every other series thread and dogging each Nintendo team to make them games. As well they shouldn't, because they know why the games aren't being made.

QuoteIMO Metroid is Nintendo's best property so :bleh:.
SON.  :??:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

All I want is Miyamoto or Koizumi or SOMEBODY on a freaking Yoshi game. They sell so much, yet only the first one is a classic.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 02, 2013, 11:51:01 PM
Metroid isn't dead, it's just not a priority. Why they ever made it a priority over games that sold more like Kirby or Yoshi (now THERE'S a fanbase that should be whining) or Donkey Kong made little sense since even at their best Metroid games never sold that well.
Wat. How has Metroid ever been a priority for Nintendo over any other franchise? They made two GBA games themselves and then farmed out everything since to other studios (aside from Hunters, which was made by an American off-shoot branch). This argument only works if Retro, Team Ninja, or Fuse wanted to make a Kirby or Yoshi game and was forced into doing Metroid instead.

QuoteAnd hearing that Nintendo is doing what a smart business should be doing and is making games that sell over games that don't and is somehow wrong for doing so is aggravating. Especially when it ALWAYS derails any conversation for fans to get into.
These people are obnoxious, yes. I have never actually seen any of them outside of GAF, though, and pretty much everyone there is insufferable in my experience.

QuoteIMO Metroid is Nintendo's best property so :bleh:.
SON.  :??:
Search your feelings, you know it to be true. :sly:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 03, 2013, 12:00:01 AM
All I want is Miyamoto or Koizumi or SOMEBODY on a freaking Yoshi game. They sell so much, yet only the first one is a classic.
Aren't they making two right now...?

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Foggle on October 03, 2013, 12:03:06 AM
Wat. How has Metroid ever been a priority for Nintendo over any other franchise? They made two GBA games themselves and then farmed out everything since to other studios (aside from Hunters, which was made by an American off-shoot branch). This argument only works if Retro, Team Ninja, or Fuse wanted to make a Kirby or Yoshi game and was forced into doing Metroid instead.

Only in America during the Gamecube/GBA years. They pushed Prime 1 and 2 hard since that was supposed to give them a fighting chance against the other consoles.

Also, I think the Star Fox fans give them a run for their money. They kept bothering Kamiya on twitter about it so much he started blocking those who brought it up.

But back to the original topic, I wonder if anyone will leak who the 4th playable character is. I'm expecting some brand new guy or maybe Funky, but I'd welcome Kiddy if he doesn't speak.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on October 03, 2013, 12:11:24 AM
Only in America during the Gamecube/GBA years. They pushed Prime 1 and 2 hard since that was supposed to give them a fighting chance against the other consoles.

Also, I think the Star Fox fans give them a run for their money. They kept bothering Kamiya on twitter about it so much he started blocking those who brought it up.
Ah, yeah, they did advertise the hell out of Prime 1 & 2 back then. But I still don't see how they made them a priority over any other games considering that they didn't develop them in-house.

Agreed about Star Fox fans. Seeing Kamiya get so angry is always simultaneously hilarious and depressing.

QuoteBut back to the original topic, I wonder if anyone will leak who the 4th playable character is. I'm expecting some brand new guy or maybe Funky, but I'd welcome Kiddy if he doesn't speak.
Oh man, I hope it's Funky! That would be so amazing. There better be some groovalicious theme music to go with him...

Spark Of Spirit

Funky. He was sorely missed in Returns.

Quote from: Foggle on October 03, 2013, 12:03:06 AM
After having nothing in the GBC/N64 era it had two Gamecube games, two GBA games, two DS games, two Wii games and sales have declined since Prime 1/Fusion. Meanwhile, Star Fox got two Gamecube games, no GBA games, one DS game, and no Wii games. F-Zero got one Gamecube game, two GBA games, no DS games, and no Wii games. Metroid isn't that bad off yet.

Most of Retro's Prime staff is gone anyway, so who knows what you'd get. Anyway, they chose to make Tropical Freeze over a Metroid game, so obviously Nintendo is still thinking about the series. That's more than I can say for Star Fox or F-Zero.

Besides, Metroid V done by the Fusion team is needed more than a Prime 4.   ;)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 03, 2013, 12:00:01 AM
Aren't they making two right now...?
The 3DS game is tossed off to a third party team consisted of people from the team that made the DS game. It's like getting a shoddy first person multiplayer game over a 2D adventure game to a story-driven franchise. If it's good, I'll be surprised.

Good Feel is making Yarn Yoshi and it'll probably be good, but they don't make traditional platformers since neither Wario Land or Kirby Epic Yarn were anything like the other games in their series.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 03, 2013, 12:16:50 AM
After having nothing in the GBC/N64 era it had two Gamecube games, two GBA games, two DS games, two Wii games and sales have declined since Prime 1/Fusion. Meanwhile, Star Fox got two Gamecube games, no GBA games, one DS game, and no Wii games. F-Zero got one Gamecube game, two GBA games, no DS games, and no Wii games. Metroid isn't that bad off yet.
Yeah, there were a lot of games. But like I said, almost none of them were made in-house by Nintendo. It can't have been that much of a priority if they'd rather give them to other studios.

QuoteBesides, Metroid V done by the Fusion team is needed more than a Prime 4. Most of Retro's Prime staff is gone anyway, so who knows what you'd get. Anyway, they chose to make Tropical Freeze over a Metroid game, so obviously Nintendo is still thinking about the series. That's more than I can say for Star Fox or F-Zero.
I agree. I never said I wanted Retro to make another Metroid game. I'd love one, sure, but they're doing Donkey Kong now. I actually hope they get to make an original game for a new IP after Tropical Freeze.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 03, 2013, 12:00:01 AMIt's like getting a shoddy first person multiplayer game over a 2D adventure game to a story-driven franchise.
Good Hunters reference. :lol: I was unaware that New Island was not being made by Nintendo in-house. That sucks.

Spark Of Spirit

If they were making a Metroid game I'd be fine with it but, those Zelda rumors bothered me more since... Zelda already has a dedicated team and has had one since the SNES as far as I know. We get enough Zelda games, thank you very much. :D

Anyway, Returns was great and from what I played this should be better. The delay is a downer, but it's only two months. There's already enough coming out this holiday to keep me busy.

Nel_Annette

If Funky can randomly be in Mario Kart Wii, he should totally be in this. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Kiddy, just to have all four of the original DKC playable characters.

I DEMAND FIVE PLAYABLE CHARACTERS!   :light:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 03, 2013, 12:30:22 AM
If Funky can randomly be in Mario Kart Wii, he should totally be in this. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see Kiddy, just to have all four of the original DKC playable characters.

I DEMAND FIVE PLAYABLE CHARACTERS!   :light:
I demand six.

Spoiler
K. Rool arises from the depths
[close]

Nel_Annette

I amend my demands to six also!  :joy:

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Make him the secret final boss first and I'm game.

Rynnec

QuoteThe 3DS game is tossed off to a third party team consisted of people from the team that made the DS game.

:frown: :frown: :frown: