What Are You Listening To II: Whole Lotta Music

Started by Avaitor, July 06, 2013, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

I love old Jimmy Eat World.  Haven't listened to their last couple records though.

Midtown - "Become What You Hate".
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

It's okay overall... the stuff is more atmospheric than anything. Their peak albums are still "Clarity" and "Bleed American" (or "Jimmy Eat World" depending if it was a post-9/11 version or not) which still hold up really well.

I'm really surprised either aren't as regarded as they should be. Alternative rock fans used to be all over those albums.

Jimmy Eat World - Table For Glasses
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 19, 2014, 03:31:37 PM
Had to look it up. Never even heard of that EP.  :(

Must have it!
Yeah, it came out a little before Neck of the Woods. EPs don't get much love nowadays, which is why it was kind of ignored, but it's great. And Spark, I'll give JEW (wow, that's weird) a go if you try Cynic's new album. ;)

KISS- "Keep Me Comin'"
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I just remembered a question I've been meaning to ask you, Avaitor.

What do you think of Kelly Clarkson?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 19, 2014, 08:35:17 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 19, 2014, 03:31:37 PM
Had to look it up. Never even heard of that EP.  :(

Must have it!
Yeah, it came out a little before Neck of the Woods. EPs don't get much love nowadays, which is why it was kind of ignored, but it's great. And Spark, I'll give JEW (wow, that's weird) a go if you try Cynic's new album. ;)

KISS- "Keep Me Comin'"
I'm not actually sure if you'd like them. They're a bit on the lighter/poppier end of the spectrum. The closest band I can relate them to is Weezer, but their songs aren't quite as tight as JEW's (that is weird) are. I was more speaking in a general sense, though that might because their last few albums haven't been anything amazing.

If you were to give one a chance first, I would go with Clarity.

Cynic - True Hallucination Speak

Not bad.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

I can't say I liked the new Cynic that much. The middle four tracks of it are alright, but the two at the beginning and the end just don't do much for me. Whole thing just feels like a weaker Traced In Air.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 19, 2014, 08:38:05 PM

Breakaway is one of my favorite pop albums.

I'm not as hot on her stuff before or after, but I can't bad-mouth Kelly too much. :)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on March 19, 2014, 09:00:24 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 19, 2014, 08:38:05 PM

Breakaway is one of my favorite pop albums.

I'm not as hot on her stuff before or after, but I can't bad-mouth Kelly too much. :)

Her talent is definitely undeniable. I'd say she's the best American Idol contestant/winner. The girl's got some pipes.

Since U Been Gone is my favorite of hers overall, Breakaway is great in general, but I also love Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You), from her Stronger album.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on March 19, 2014, 08:54:30 PM
I can't say I liked the new Cynic that much. The middle four tracks of it are alright, but the two at the beginning and the end just don't do much for me. Whole thing just feels like a weaker Traced In Air.
Yeah, it was okay. Kinda reminded me a bit of Rush of all things, but not really my thing overall. All in all, it was alright.

I don't regret trying new things though, so thanks for giving me the chance, Avaitor!

Avaitor

Yeah, I remembered before it was too late that jazz or heavier prog aren't much of your thing, which is what the band has been embracing a lot lately, but I just wanted to see someone besides Nel talk about the album, heh.

Jimmy Eat World- "A Sunday"

Just started this track. It's okay so far.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Be sure to listen to "Just Watch The Fireworks" and "Goodbye Sky Harbor" (on headphones) if you can. They're the longest tracks, but usually regarded to be the best.

"A Sunday" is one of my favorites, though.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on March 19, 2014, 11:03:21 PM
Yeah, I remembered before it was too late that jazz or heavier prog aren't much of your thing, which is what the band has been embracing a lot lately, but I just wanted to see someone besides Nel talk about the album, heh.

If you need underwhelming opinions, I'll be here.  ;)

Though honestly I find a LOT of music needs to grow on me these days. I'm getting curmudgeonly in my mid-20s, but I still warm up to things after a while. That's how it was with the other Cynic stuff.

Avaitor

Jimmy Eat World- "Goodbye Sky Harbor"

Alright, this was pretty good all in all. This will never really be my kind of music, but at least I can use Clarity as an example of one of the better albums in the pop punk/emo sound. :)

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 19, 2014, 11:46:29 PM
Jimmy Eat World- "Goodbye Sky Harbor"

Alright, this was pretty good all in all. This will never really be my kind of music, but at least I can use Clarity as an example of one of the better albums in the pop punk/emo sound. :)
Glad to hear it! I used to listen to the style a lot in the early-00s but Jimmy Eat World is one of the few bands in the style I still listen to and enjoy.

Avaitor

This song is just so relaxing though. I can see myself falling asleep to it if my patterns were better.

New blog!