Space Dandy

Started by Foggle, August 10, 2013, 11:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Well, at 11:30, it should. If it wasn't then there'd be a problem. Anyways, these are pretty good ratings. One thing to remember is that Dandy's performance is also dependent on how well it's lead in (aka Boondocks) did. I'm assuming Dandy's retention was just fine and that last saturday was a weak night for [adult swim] in general.

Avaitor

Usually Toonami performs weakly if there's a big sporting event that night or a key movie in the demo which came out that week. I haven't been paying attention to the ratings lately so idk what was up this Saturday.

I finally got around to seeing this episode, and I really liked it! I thought the last couple were okay at best, but I cracked up a lot when the second half came into fruition.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

The rest of the block actually performed better than the week previous, so it wasn't that bad a night.Something must have drawn viewers away from the first few hous of [as] that night.

But yeah, last weeks episode was easily the funniest so far, and a great zombie parody/social satire. Pretty much everything I was hoping for after seeing clips from it on the first Dandy promos last month. Tomorrow's episode, in contrast , looks to be... serious. We'll see about that, of course, but I'm pretty interested in it (seeing as how the promo for it is so good, it's hard not to be).

Foggle

Episode 5 is basically the closest we'll ever get to a Cowboy Bebop sequel. I loved it!

Avaitor

That was the first time I saw the show live since the premiere, and yeah, that was good.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on February 02, 2014, 02:47:39 AM
Episode 5 is basically the closest we'll ever get to a Cowboy Bebop sequel. I loved it!

I agree. Though the episode was very predictable in terms of it's story (c'mon, who didn't see that ending coming?), it was so well done and executed it managed to be really fun to watch and effectively emotional. I also have to say I loved seeing the selfless side of Dandy. It's nice to see he has a but more layers to him than the booby obsessed jerk of the last 4 episodes. The episode really did feel like more of a Bebop episode in tone, though of course Dandy's antics as a stuffed penguin were more in line with the shows established sense of humor, which worked out great in the climax. I'm not gonna lie, as much as I enjoyed the last few episodes, I hope there are more episodes like this one left in the show as well. Though, next week's episode looks to be quite humorous, so I won't mind waiting a bit.  :D

Foggle

I'm sure there'll be at least one or two more episodes like this one. While I loved the beautiful animation of the first three installments, I thought the writing and directing were very strong in 4 and 5. If we can get some episodes that combine the best parts of both, this will probably end up becoming one of my all time favorites.

Avaitor

It definitely feels like the show is settling into a groove. Then again, Cowboy Bebop really started knocking it out of the park with the 4th and 5th episodes, so that's not much of a surprise.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Episode 5 ratings: 1.357 million

Pretty good numbers. I'm happy to see that episode got higher ratings than last week and is close to the series' current high, and I'm intrigued by the drop-off that happened between it and Bleach afterwards. In any case, Dandy's been performing consistently well, though I'm still hoping it'll manage to beat it's Boondocks re-run lead-ins at some point.

LumRanmaYasha

Interestingly, last Saturday's episode got nearly as much 18-49 adult ratings as the 10:30pm Family Guy and in fact beat those of the 10pm Family Guy. Admittedly, Family Guy was weaker that night for some reason, but it's good to see Dandy nonetheless stand on par with it in the core adult ratings. I think this bodes very well for the show's future, as well as the possibility of Toonami taking the 11pm timeslot sometime later this year.

Foggle

Wasn't impressed by this week's episode at all. The humor just wasn't there and the art/animation felt unfinished at times, plus the reused music didn't help. The very first and very last parts of it were decent, but overall I can safely say that this is the first installment I've disliked.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, this one was pretty subpar. The ending was cool, but aside from that the concept was kinda squandered and the aliens' broken english became obnoxious after a while. Hopefully next week's episode will be funnier.

Foggle

I liked everything before the aliens were introduced and after they died. I think they really brought down the episode. The red one wanting to sleep on a heart-shaped bed with Dandy was chuckle-worthy, though.

Dai Sato's scripts haven't been so good on this series. The other episode he wrote, the second one, was also pretty weak IMO, though it was saved by the action and trippy scenes (and, of course, the music). This feels more like the Sato who wrote Tekken Blood Vengeance and Resident Evil Revelations than the Sato who writes episodes of anime.

LumRanmaYasha

The beginning didn't leave much of an impression on me, but I do agree that the aliens weren't very funny. They were basically Dorry and Broggy from One Piece, except not badass and sounded like they were members of Jar Jar Binks' race. I did get a chuckle from the when they were hesitantly exchanging their garments, though. That was so awkward that it became legitimately amusing for me. Otherwise most of the comedy with them was a wash, and something I'd have expected more from a lesser [adult swim] original than Dandy.

I'm not familiar with Dai Sato's work, but I assume he has written good, funny episodes in other anime? Hopefully he writes a better episode later on (if he has any).

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 09, 2014, 11:18:32 AMI'm not familiar with Dai Sato's work, but I assume he has written good, funny episodes in other anime?

He has mostly done dramatic stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Eureka 7, GitS:SAC, Wolf's Rain, etc. Here's a list of the stuff he did.