The Battle For 8PM

Started by Daikun, November 08, 2013, 05:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldstar

Well, Cartoon Network has already began running it's premieres at 7 PM, so they'll likely just keep doing that. Apparently, Stuart Snyder made this decision because CN's target audience (6-14 year old boys) are finding more of their entertainment online, so Snyder is going to add more online content to CN and give Adult Swim and additional hour. It's truly a shame that boys are the demographic that CN cares about. AS is one of my least favorite and least watched channels at the moment, so I'm not delighted by the news that there's going to be more of it.

On the upside, Boomerang is finally going to become ad supported.  While the addition of ads will undoubtedly create the need for more newer and original programming, but with CN losing more and more hours to AS, the newer CN content may start going to Boomerang, thus making Da Boom a better Cartoon Network than Cartoon Network.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

LumRanmaYasha

Boomerang pretty much already is a better Cartoon Network at this point. They already air some of CN's current shows (Ben 10: Omniverse, for example) mixed in with the older programming. With the ad-support I wouldn't be surprised if they mix-in even more recent CN shows in the lineup too.

While I raise my eyebrow at this move, I can't say I think it's that bad, nor do I really care. My schedule means I usually am only able to watch Cartoon Network's and [adult swim]'s shows through their video site anyway, so this doesn't affect my viewing habits. I would feel bad for kids having one less hour of their favorite shows to watch, but with online content, maybe they aren't missing out on anything at all.

I don't expect much interesting in the 8pm hour. Probably be just more FOX show re-runs. I guess one thing that I might be interested in seeing coming from this is a Toonami expanded to 11pm with Attack On Titan starting in April. That'd be neat, though probably isn't going to happen.

Avaitor

If being ad-supported means that Boomerang will possibly become available for more providers, I'm down for that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

I only watch a couple of shows on Cartoon Network right now, but I'm still slightly irked by this move, since it's such a naked cash grab. I know Adult Swim is where the money is and it's apparently doing better than anything on CN right now, but still, yeesh. I probably wouldn't mind so much if I didn't fucking hate so much of Adult Swim's current schedule. If AS were going to run decent shows like Mission Hill, The Oblongs, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, Sealab 2021, Daria, Dilbert, Welcome to Eltingville, Liquid Television and Archer during the 8-9 PM hour I'd probably wouldn't mind this so much, but I know it's just going to be more recycled FOX stuff. Basically another of King of the Hill and American Dad.

The one Turner network that will probably benefit from this move is Boomerang, since in the wake of this shakeup move, Turner plans to revamp it slightly into an ad-supported general family network featuring both classic and contemporary programming. That sounds like they're going to try to make Da Boom into another Hub Network, or ironically enough, like 90's Cartoon Network. If the classic cartoons still have a place on the new Boomerang, and if new shows on Boom means other types of shows besides 'booger-eating dumb-boy comedies', then I'm all for this change.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Silverstar on February 04, 2014, 02:22:09 PM
I only watch a couple of shows on Cartoon Network right now, but I'm still slightly irked by this move, since it's such a naked cash grab. I know Adult Swim is where the money is and it's apparently doing better than anything on CN right now, but still, yeesh. I probably wouldn't mind so much if I didn't fucking hate so much of Adult Swim's current schedule. If AS were going to run decent shows like Mission Hill, The Oblongs, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, Sealab 2021, Daria, Dilbert, Welcome to Eltingville, Liquid Television and Archer during the 8-9 PM hour I'd probably wouldn't mind this so much, but I know it's just going to be more recycled FOX stuff. Basically another of King of the Hill and American Dad.

The one Turner network that will probably benefit from this move is Boomerang, since in the wake of this shakeup move, Turner plans to revamp it slightly into an ad-supported general family network featuring both classic and contemporary programming. That sounds like they're going to try to make Da Boom into another Hub Network, or ironically enough, like 90's Cartoon Network. If the classic cartoons still have a place on the new Boomerang, and if new shows on Boom means other types of shows besides 'booger-eating dumb-boy comedies', then I'm all for this change.

Booger eating is Nick's hat, not CN's.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 04, 2014, 12:46:01 AM
Welp, this is happening. Adult Swim is gaining 8 PM on March 31st!

I don't understand, Cartoon Network already has a good library of cartoons they air at 8 PM.
Holy shit at that gif. :D :D :D :D :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on February 04, 2014, 01:53:19 AM
Because of Adult Swim having a good year of ratings and the advertisers demanding it, apparently. I never cared about them having 9:00/8:00pm, but because I'm in central I won't have CN in primetime period.

Of course, I don't watch CN live on Mondays because of WWE. But Regular Show and Adventure Time did great on Mondays, as did Steven Universe at times. I can't help but think this may be a bad move.
Wait, this effects Regular Show?

LumRanmaYasha

Regular Show's premieres will likely only move a half-hour earlier on Monday nights, GSF. It's not like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Commode

Quote from: Goldstar on February 04, 2014, 08:06:23 AM
On the upside, Boomerang is finally going to become ad supported.  While the addition of ads will undoubtedly create the need for more newer and original programming, but with CN losing more and more hours to AS, the newer CN content may start going to Boomerang, thus making Da Boom a better Cartoon Network than Cartoon Network.
Boomerang has been airing non-Cartoon Network ads for a couple months now(and is in fact airing one as of me writing this).  The ratio is still CN-heavy though.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nel_Annette

So in my time zone, that means Adult Swim would start at... 7 p.m. Yeesh.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Nel_Annette on February 04, 2014, 11:01:18 PM
Mine too, crazy.

CX, would that likely mean Regular Show at 6 P.M. or something? That would be great.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 04, 2014, 11:43:02 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on February 04, 2014, 11:01:18 PM
Mine too, crazy.

CX, would that likely mean Regular Show at 6 P.M. or something? That would be great.

Regular Show actually already airs it's premieres at 6:30 pm central, something I didn't realize at first since I haven't watched it live in quite some time. It'll likely keep that timeslot. Steven Universe and the upcoming Clarence, on the other hand, will either have to move to other nights or premiere between and after AT and RS in 15 minute timeslots.

gunswordfist

hobbyfan

Stuart Snyder is a moron.

His target demo is, reportedly, boys 6-14, some of whom might not get the humor in Regular Show. [adult swim] is targeted for 18-up, so what happens to 14-17 year olds?

Snyder is not thinking this completely through. His is the same myopic mentality as that of Vince McMahon (WWE) and/or James Dolan (Cablevision/MSG/Knicks/Rangers), and he needs to be sent away to another dept. of Time-Warner where he won't harm any of the other channels.

Peanutbutter

After having thought more about it, I came to the conclusion last week that I'm perfectly fine with this. I mean, I liked being able to catch repeats of CN's stuff on Thursdays, but the real reason I was concerned over this was because I've grown to really love Steven Universe. But, I realized it's only going to get bumped up a bit earlier. It's been a hit so CN won't can it anytime soon. I don't get hoopla over AS or CN having 9pm in the first place, because CN would have just used it for reruns anyway.

Quote from: hobbyfan on February 05, 2014, 12:26:07 PM
Stuart Snyder is a moron.

His target demo is, reportedly, boys 6-14, some of whom might not get the humor in Regular Show. [adult swim] is targeted for 18-up, so what happens to 14-17 year olds?

Snyder is not thinking this completely through. His is the same myopic mentality as that of Vince McMahon (WWE) and/or James Dolan (Cablevision/MSG/Knicks/Rangers), and he needs to be sent away to another dept. of Time-Warner where he won't harm any of the other channels.

No he's not. CN Real was a blunder, but live-action already started under Samples watch, CN Real or something like it would have likely still aired even if Samples didn't resign. Snyder has scrapped all live-action pilots, so its a moot point. They'll still air live movies, but that's because Turner is using CN to fulfill their broacasting contracts with the film studios. Under Snyder, Cartoon Network has gotten almost to #2 out of the kid networks. They're starting to build up a good variety of different original cartoons that even the worse of which look a whole lot better than Nick. Plus, while they should have already happened a few years ago, making Boomerang ad-supported and utilizing CN's website for online content are great ideas. He's not perfect, but Snyder doesn't deserves the venom he gets from 4chan or other boards at all. He's actually proven to be a shrewd manager.

Also, he's doing this because the advertisers want it and the ratings justify it, so yes he has thought things through.

I'm sure they're fine with 13-17-year-olds watching it. You're selling kids way too short if you think they don't understand Regular Show.