Ushio & Tora

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 10, 2015, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I don't even know where to start. I'm becoming numb to how awesome this show is.

Was the past Azafuze Kirio saw Tora? I did not expect to see Tora vs Hakumen in this episode. (or Hakumen attacking cities. Whoa) The part where Tora decked him and then they replayed it was the best. So HNM didn't know who Tora was until now, huh? And things aren't looking so good for Tora.

The Beast Spear shards! Inuyasha had to have gotten influenced by that. I loved seeing Mayuko get her memories back and then everyone else. It was great seeing Ushio & Tora's human friends and just normal people help him, including Tatsuya, that guy from the painting episode and some random wrestler.

The monsters finally found out how wrong they were. I'm surprised they all survived. And finally thelittle green one returns.

Anyway, the final battle definitely starts next week. Finally bothered watching the ED since it is so close. Bittersweet seeing Nagare there. Wonder if Tora saying he felt a wind on his back was in reference to him.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 27, 2016, 07:57:15 PM
Wonder if Tora saying he felt a wind on his back was in reference to him.
Might have been. It looked like he wasn't expecting to make it out of this alive. He probably also felt like he was missing something without Ushio by his side.

This episode made me glad Tora had never outright said he liked Ushio before now. It's the last barrier to their friendship and the last thing they need to overcome before Tora can finally be at peace. The last part where he said he still refuses to acknowledge Ushio felt like he thought he needed to shut him out in order to finally kill Hakumen. It was like they said, Tora needs to lose his hate before they can finally win.

Oh, and this:

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Heh, oh Hakumen.

You're right, Tora finishing his character arc soon would make it even better.

Spark Of Spirit

Spoiler
Pour one out for Hyou.
[close]

The end of this episode was so satisfying. Ushio is making a comeback, the Beast Spear is back, and Guren finally got what was coming to him. Then there was Hakumen's desperate screaming at the end. Squirm, Hakumen, squirm.

Only three episodes left!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fuck it. This series just got bumped up to my top five. HOW THE FUCK WAS THIS NEVER FULLY ADAPTED BEFORE!?

gunswordfist

They tied this episode together perfectl. Saya's mother saying that those who are in the netherworld feel not but happiness and him going home with a smile on his face stopped makng me feel sad. I'll still miss him though.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 03, 2016, 09:57:41 AM
Spoiler
Pour one out for Hyou.
[close]

The end of this episode was so satisfying. Ushio is making a comeback, the Beast Spear is back, and Guren finally got what was coming to him. Then there was Hakumen's desperate screaming at the end. Squirm, Hakumen, squirm.

Only three episodes left!
So much happened!! The first real Ushio vs Hakumen fight has started. It was beautiful how the spear reformed and we got to see the Sect leader again. Everyone is really doing their part.

Also it's rare to see the main villain in this bad of shape with some episodes left. Many other shows would just make things as bleak as the last episode until the last minute.
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 03, 2016, 11:04:22 AM
Fuck it. This series just got bumped up to my top five. HOW THE FUCK WAS THIS NEVER FULLY ADAPTED BEFORE!?
This show is better than it has any business being.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 03, 2016, 11:04:22 AM
Not only that, but that the manga was never licensed before. It was huge in Japan, and yet it never even got attempted to be released before. Such a letdown.

But as I said before, this series is the type of show that got me into anime in the first place. If this does not air on Toonami, I will be massively disappointed.

Nishimura, please give Flame of Recca the same treatment and you will be solidified as my favorite anime director.

gunswordfist

I just got done bugging them about putting this on Toonami  :D UT deserves to become huge in NA. Also, I'd get the manga in a heartbeat.

Spark Of Spirit

Fujita has been very supportive behind the scenes.

As for this episode, we're clearly heading for the end. Hakumen is sealed and can't get away. This means its time to put it to him. It was also good seeing everyone work together from the earlier episodes.

Also, it was great to see Tora back again.

Time to end it!

gunswordfist

Spoiler
Tora's back!!! And so is my Crunchyroll account. Good to see this (and Jojo) on tv again. So Tora know's he was human now? Good to see that the hole in his heart has been filled.

I love the extra touch that the scientists knew each other all their lives.

Logically for Hakumen, I have no clue why he didn't release the Kouken earlier. Obviously it was for entertainment reasons for him to wait.

Tora and Ushio are finally reunited and everyone is helping. Very few anime series do giant team battles well and this takes the cake. Hakumen is in another bad spot at the end of an episode but he has a clear way of fighting back and freeing himself.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

He didn't release them before because he wasn't desperate. Remember, Hakumen doesn't exist just to kill everything, but to terrify them and make them despair. But since he was about to die, he really didn't have any choice.

gunswordfist

I like how the demon siblings (forget their names) completed their character arcs by working with humans.

Apparently the show really is also Chinese mythology influenced

Spark Of Spirit

Ushio's speech is what I'm talking about. Now THAT is a shonen protagonist. Tora's assessment of Hakumen after the latter smashed his confidence was great, too.

It's so cool seeing EVERYTHING from previous episodes come back in such a big way. Even Reiko's and Yuu's fathers came to save them. You can just feel that this is the endgame.

One episode left!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I feel like I've just had the entire philosophy of this series summed up for me in a single episode. Not just through balatant exposition alone, of course, but also through the actions of the characters and how the mythology really all fits together to support these notions. Now that's how you do a finale the right way.

Tora's comment to Hakumen at the end of the episode was priceless. :D

He's easily my favorite character in the series.

Spark Of Spirit

Special credit also goes to Nishimura's excellent direction.

I hope the rumor about MAPPA continuing to animate old series continues. With this quality, they can do whatever they want.