Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 21

Directed by: Brian De Palma
Screenplay by: Brian De Palma, Louisa Rose
Starring: Margot Kidder, Jennifer Salt
Released: 1973

The third film of in a row that I haven't seen. But hey, this one is directed by Brian De Palma, a guy who has made a bunch of great films like Carrie and the first Mission: Impossible, as well as two of my favorites, Scarface and The Untouchables, among others. I really should check this movie out on those grounds alone.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Sisters is really good, particularly at the end. I've always been a Margot Kidder fan, and she plays the lead character very well. You can definitely see influence from Hitchcock in this one. Highly recommended.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 22

Directed by: Stephen Norrington
Screenplay by: David S. Goyer
Starring: Wesley Snipes
Released: 1998

Directed by: Guillermo del Toro
Screenplay by: David S. Goyer
Starring: Wesley Snipes
Released: 2002

And tonight we have a double feature. While not horror movies by any stretch, these action movies fit the Halloween theme perfectly with their focus on vampires. These also bring us back to a time when Marvel was willing to go Hard R with their movies. Granted, you could argue that these are style over substance, but nailing down the style is a lot of the fun. You can also tell that Snipes is really into his role given how seriously he takes it, and he portrays Blade as a genuine bad-ass.

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've seen the sequel, but that was always my favorite in the trilogy. Guillermo del Toro, who also did both Hellboy movies, just has such a great taste for visual splendor that he makes the best looking comic book movies around, but I also appreciated the flow of his directing style and great editing in this movie.

Both of the first two Blade movies are a lot of fun to watch, but they certainly aren't for everyone.

gunswordfist

Rynnec

Eeyup, you can thank me for that.  ;)

These movies are pure fun and have really awesome action scenes. It wouldn't surprise me if the first movie influenced the original Devil May Cry in some way as you could really feel the action movie influence in that game (which also makes the Blade movies the closest thing we'll have to a DMC movie, for better or worse). I do like the second movie more than the first, though it's been a while since I've seen the latter. Really, these movies are what the Ghost Rider movies should have been.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the third movie, and I'd like to keep it that way.

And sorry for not commenting on City of the Dead, I was too preoccupied with other things at the time. :sweat: I'll try to at least watch Blade I tonight though.

gunswordfist

I actually didn't like the 2nd but really liked the first. I do need to give it a modern rewatch. Donnie Yen and Del Toro should be a good combination.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally, I think that Del Toro nailed the aesthetic style of the second movie so well, which automatically makes it better than the first, for me, since these aren't exactly known for intricate plots or characters. I like both movies, though.

Rynnec

The first movie is a lot of fun, and an undeniable landmark in Marvel cinematic history. One of the best things about Blade I is that it didn't spend a half-hour or more telling the origin, right off the bat the movie tells us all we need to know about Blade's history and character in less than 10-minutes. Really wish more superhero movies did that. I also like the subtle traces of humour these films have, moments like Blade cursing out a security guard and Frost telling Quinn quit bitching about Blade brought out some genuine chuckle's from me.

All this being said, I still maintain that II is the better movie. Del Toro is a really great director, and his contributions to the setting unique blend of action/horror combined with a more nuanced tone really let the movie shine.

talonmalon333

Of course, it takes an action movie to get GSF actually involved in this thread.

Get some horror culture in your life. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 23

If it's in a word, or it's in a look
You can't get rid of the Babadook.

Spoiler
If you're really a clever one
And you know what it is to see
Then you can make friends
with a special one,
A friend of you and me.

His name is Mister Babadook
And this is his book.

A rumbling sound then 3 sharp knocks
ba BA-ba DOOK! DOOK! DOOK!

That's when you'll know that
he's around

You'll see him if you look.

This is what he wears on top

He's funny,
don't you
think?

See him in your room at night
And you won't sleep a wink

I'll soon take off
my funny disguise
(take heed of what you've read..) once you see what's underneath.

YOU'RE GOING TO WISH YOU WERE... DEAD.

I'll WAGER with YOU,
I'LL MAKE you a BET.

The MORE you DENY
the STRONGER I GET

You start to
CHANGE
when I get in,
the
BABADOOK
growing
right
UNDER
YOUR SKIN

Oh COME!
Come SEE
what's
UNDERNEATH!
[close]

Written and Directed by: Jennifer Kent
Starring: Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman
Released: 2014

I've been wanting to talk about this movie for a long time now. Not only is this one of my favorite recent horror movies, but it's my personal favorite film of last year. It tells a story of grief and depression and its effects on the wellbeing of a person and their family, a theme which I can strongly relate to. Rather than trying to scare you through jump scares, the movie instead wisely makes you unconfortable by forcing you to look into the dark interior of what goes on when you bottle up feelings of guilt, sorrow, regret, rage, and many other powerful emotions that have negative repercussions if not properly vented out. And it's just this sort of instability that our monster, the titular Mr. Babadook, preys on.

This is an excellent movie in all regards. The writing is spot-on, the direction is simultaneously gorgeous and eerie, and the acting from both of our leads is amazing. I will shamelessly say that Essie Davis deserved an Oscar nomination for her performance, and was totally snubbed because this is an indie genre film.

The film is currently available on Netflix, so it should be relatively easy to find and watch.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 23, 2015, 09:28:24 AM
Of course, it takes an action movie to get GSF actually involved in this thread.

Get some horror culture in your life. :sly:
I do. It's called "interacting with this assclown named talonmalon". I'm already screaming.

Avaitor

Last year was a mighty good year for films, but this might be my favorite, as well. It's not just a great horror movie- this is one of the most original, brilliant films that I've seen in a while.

And I know that the ending is a bit derided, but I like it. There's nothing wrong with cutting to the chase every now and then.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I found the ending to be brilliant, myself. On the whole, I really admire how this film can be so straightforward about its themes without trying to present them in a pretentious manner, which it could have easily done, but wisely avoided.

And yes, last year was a superb year for movies.