What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was quite disappointed by the lack of a modern 3D version of the level so that I could try and see how that plays out to see if its really too scripted or if its actually very creative with its design. As for the classic 2D version of the stage, it was really fun. I hope the rest of the game can hold up that level of quality from the stage in the demo.

Spark Of Spirit

It's in the demo, but Sega locked it out. Kind of annoying, but in the files this is listed as "Demo #1" which means we might get another demo down the road.

I'm hoping for Modern City Escape.

Either way, the Classic Sonic levels alone will be about the length of a new Classic game, so adding that and a full Modern game (that's hopefully closer to Colors than Unleashed) makes this highly anticipated for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on June 30, 2011, 09:01:01 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 30, 2011, 08:57:51 PM
As for DNF, I probably can't just go by the demo to decide whether I like it or not, but I'm trying my hardest to figure out just from this where all of the complaints spawn from. As someone who has no preconceived bias towards the series (I never played or grew up with any of the classic games aside from playing a demo for DN3D a few years ago), I thought that the demo was pretty fun. I certainly don't see how the gameplay is 3/10 worthy as most critics seem to feel. I'm not going to say it was anything amazing, but I had fun so something clearly must be wrong with either me or the critics.
Yeah, it's nothing amazing, but it's fun and funny. Not sure what the press' vendetta against the game is.

I think it has to do with the game taking 15 years to make, which I find understandable.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its understandable if critics and gamers say that the game is not that great or hasn't aged well after spending that much time in development (it wasn't even really in development for that long, but mostly spent time going through issues after issues with nobody really working on it after 3D Realms shut down). What's not understandable is saying that the game is shit and giving it much lower scores than it really deserves just because its the "cool" thing to do among reviewers since the game took notoriously long to come out and obviously would never live up to any of the hype. From what I've played and from what a friend of mine has told me, its far from a terrible game. Its hardly broken or even terrible in game design compared to really bad FPS games on the market, but its also not really anything magnificent either. Its simply a decent game with a sense of humor that may or may not work for some people depending on the person. Its hardly a 3/10 game. Probably a more mediocre 5 or 6 might be a more understandable score, but really nothing that I've seen about the game is the least bit terrible.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just downloaded the Sonic Adventure demo to relive some of the nostalgia, being sure not to expect much since everyone says that they are apparently bad games now or some shit like that. Well, for a game that's supposed to have dated so horribly I had absolutely no problems with the controls or camera (in the demo, anyways) and I had quite a bit of fun with it. Maybe everyone was talking about Big the Cat's levels (and maybe Knuckles too if you hate his levels, though I have to admit I actually only hated a few of them, like Mad Space, but was OK with most of the others) and just ignored the rest or something, or I guess they didn't like any of the non-Sonic levels or something of the sort, but I fail to see what's so bad about Sonic's levels. I had a ton of fun playing through the first stage in the demo, and really I somehow doubt that I would hate this game as much as everyone else now seems to if I were to replay all of it again. In fact, I may just end up downloading it from XBLA, since the demo got me interested enough in replaying it. I'm sure its not as good as the more recent Sonic Colors, but as far as I'm concerned its a fun game from what I remember and what I just played.

Spark Of Spirit

The only thing I like about the XBLA/PSN port is that apparently the framerate is locked at 60fps. The game plays very smooth.

But yeah, I still enjoy the Sonic and Tails levels, the treasure hunting is actually easy here, and the Amy levels are extremely short (and there's only 3 of them). Honestly, it's only the fishing I still absolutely detest from the game.

It's not perfect, but until Colors it was easily the most playable 3D Sonic game and most enjoyable on a consistant basis even with some annoying camera quirks (Fuck you, Lost World!) and annoying non-platforming gameplay.

You also can't fault the game for almost equaling the Genesis soundtracks with modern sounds. I mean listen to this. Just brilliant.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I fucking jam to the Sonic Adventure OST. OH YEAH!

I still like the Sonic Adventure games. I detest Big the Cat's and Amy's levels, but that's about it. I actually prefer the second one overall, and yes, I liked Knuckles' stages (crazy, I know). Wild Canyon, Pumpkin Hill, and Mad Space had awesome songs.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on July 02, 2011, 04:59:53 PM
I fucking jam to the Sonic Adventure OST. OH YEAH!

I still like the Sonic Adventure games. I detest Big the Cat's and Amy's levels, but that's about it. I actually prefer the second one overall, and yes, I liked Knuckles' stages (crazy, I know). Wild Canyon, Pumpkin Hill, and Mad Space had awesome songs.

You mean Meteor Herd right? Mad Space was Rouge's level, and most certaintly did not have awesome music (among other things).

But yeah, Wild Canyon and Meteor Herd's stage themes are just awesome.( I do wish their was an instrumental version for both songs. Or all of Knuckles' songs really.)

Spark Of Spirit

This dignifies Amy's existence in the game to me

Too bad the soundtracks (and games, for that matter) just never held up until Unleashed after the Adventure games.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on July 02, 2011, 05:10:21 PM
You mean Meteor Herd right? Mad Space was Rouge's level, and most certaintly did not have awesome music (among other things).
Oh tits, you're right! How could I make such a horrifying mistake? :whuh: Meteor Hard, yeah. Meteor Herd. ARGH ARGH ARGH

Rouge sucks.

Quote from: Desensitized on July 02, 2011, 05:13:02 PM
This dignifies Amy's existence in the game to me
Hell yeah!

gunswordfist

I started Bayonetta today and have been spending most of my birthday playing it. This was a great idea :shakeshakeshake:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Whoa, Viewtiful Joe and DMC reference. I am on the boss where the latter is mentioned right now

Foggle

I hope you also caught the God Hand, Resident Evil 4, and Okami references. ;)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on July 03, 2011, 11:03:14 PM
I hope you also caught the God Hand, Resident Evil 4, and Okami references. ;)
I've never played any of those games

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I've been playing Pokemon Black the last 2 days, and come to the realization that I can no longer marathon a whole game. Either I have too many other things to do, or my mind begins to wonder after 3 hours or so. But at least I reached Nimbasa City and that means its time to take on the glorious Elesa.

I also lost my first in-game battle to some Baseball player because I forgot to heal my Pokemon after battling N. Hurr durr, that was so smart of me.