The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 24, 2015, 01:58:24 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 24, 2015, 01:51:15 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 24, 2015, 12:51:12 PM
Foggle, you really should avoid this discussion.

Spoiler
Zant was a good villain up until the point we learned that it wasn't HIM that was responsible for the villainy. Kind of ruins his impact.

I think you're making a mistake in assuming I think the story is outright terrible. I don't. It just has weaknesses that shouldn't be there that hold it back from me liking it nearly as much as any other Zelda story. Also a very boring world map and a slow start. But it does have a wolf transformation, Midna, and some excellent dungeons and boss fights. There are worse Zelda games, but there are also better ones.

The twist in ALBW was great was because it doesn't change anything in the core story. It merely adds onto it and explains things it didn't need to explain. I didn't need to know who Ravio was to enjoy the simple old school adventure story (which I did to a tremendous amount) or understand Lorule's differences to Hyrule, but it added a lot to both Lorule in showing how similar and different it was and how Link succeeds as a hero in how he differs from (and is similar to) Ravio. I honestly think ALBW's story is great. I enjoyed every minute of it.
[close]

And the best partner is Ezlo.  :P

Spoiler

But what weaknesses does Twilight Princess' story have beyond the twist?

Also, I liked A Link Between World's story but I just don't think it was special in any way. I think there are other video games that do better the idea of having a bare bones story that doesn't need to be delved into, but is enhanced when you do the delving. I do think A Link Between Worlds made the right choice by cutting the story structure so much to make it less focused and linear. It sounds like Nintendo will stick to that idea for the Wii U game, and I hope they do. But I also hope they provide a bit more depth in it.
[close]
Spoiler
None, really. It just has the weakness the others don't have which puts it down below the others for me.

As for ALBW, this is a good a story as you can get with a non-linear structure without over complicating everything into convolution. Sure, it was a "Link saves the day" story, but the added background elements of Lorule, the wall mechanic's story involvement, the characters, and the general flow, add a ton to the worldbuilding. I would be perfectly fine if Zelda Wii U had a story like ALBW. I really liked it.
[close]

Spoiler

I think it'd be more interesting if we got better characters, as well as some more interesting locations and sidequests to build the setting and lore a bit more in the next game.
[close]

Avaitor

Now I want to play Twilight Princess again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

A good story will always improve a game for me, but a bad one will rarely ruin my opinion of a game unless it's the main focus.

Spark Of Spirit

Then this one probably won't bother you.

Now I'm thinking of playing ALBW when I finish off the final boss in BIS. I'm feeling like being in a Zelda mood.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Yeah, I mean, Zelda is fun enough on its own to not even really need a story beyond that of the NES original. So while it's disappointing to hear that TP's plot stops being interesting halfway through, I doubt it will make me think any less of the game.

Avaitor

That's the thing about Zelda- story is important, yes, but the franchise takes more importance in atmosphere and emotion, which the best games in the franchise especially nail.

That's why the story in Twilight Princess doesn't bug me too much. It wasn't what drew me into the game.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, story has never been the true focus of Zelda games. It's about the adventure you have getting through to the end.

Nel_Annette

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I play Zelda more for the exploration and sense of progression. Which is why I loved ALBW and am excited as can be for the Wii U title. The TP twist isn't a dealbreaker, but it did make me go from full chub to half-mast. It's still a good game.

Spark Of Spirit

I restarted ALBW in hard mode. Yep, it's definitely a top tier Zelda. If the Wii U follows on its example, it should be amazing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on June 24, 2015, 03:27:16 PM
A good story will always improve a game for me, but a bad one will rarely ruin my opinion of a game unless it's the main focus.

Honestly, I don't think it's nearly as bad as anyone here is making it out to be. The twist is weak but everything else about the game's story remains great.

Also, Spark...

Spoiler

You complained about the game's overworld. While I agree it was a bit barren I still like it. It really felt like what the Hyrule kingdom should be, epic in scale and majesty. I enjoyed riding around it and finding fields, cliffsides, mountains, and all sorts of things. It was also fun finding secrets all over the place, alongside walls and cliffs. There could have been more, but I certainly wouldn't call it bad. The Hyrule Field theme is also one of the best tunes in the series. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker have the best 3D overworlds in the series, but I'd certainly put Twilight Princess next.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 25, 2015, 01:30:48 AM
Quote from: Foggle on June 24, 2015, 03:27:16 PM

Honestly, I don't think it's nearly as bad as anyone here is making it out to be. The twist is weak but everything else about the game's story remains great.

Also, Spark...

Spoiler

You complained about the game's overworld. While I agree it was a bit barren I still like it. It really felt like what the Hyrule kingdom should be, epic in scale and majesty. I enjoyed riding around it and finding fields, cliffsides, mountains, and all sorts of things. It was also fun finding secrets all over the place, alongside walls and cliffs. There could have been more, but I certainly wouldn't call it bad. The Hyrule Field theme is also one of the best tunes in the series. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker have the best 3D overworlds in the series, but I'd certainly put Twilight Princess next.
[close]
Spoiler
The thing that annoyed me the most were the five piece heart pieces. I don't care what anyone says, that was lazy and padding at its worst. There just wasn't much to bother with in the field.
[close]

Also, Hard Mode in ALBW is pretty hard. Not to mention when you die you have to re-buy any weapons you rented from Ravio. Brutal.

talonmalon333

True, making heart containers consist of five pieces was lazy. But I liked the overworld overall.

Best overworlds in the series are A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker.

Spark Of Spirit

Speaking of which, I just purchased and upgraded the Hookshot without even using it yet. It's nice being able to pick whatever item you want and use it whenever you want which also gives vital purpose to rupees for once.

talonmalon333

So how's it coming along, Foggle?

Foggle

I've been really busy with my job for the past week; haven't actually found any time to game since I first posted about wanting to play some Zelda last weekend. :-X My copy of TP has already arrived, though, and I'll probably get to start playing it on Tuesday. :)