The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

They're enjoyable adventure stories. That's what Zelda is and should always remain. In fact, the stories are the one thing I consistently enjoy through every game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2014, 06:56:56 PM
Those sound like your typical snobby Mass Effect or GTA fans to me, and some of those claims are idiotic. As for being underdeveloped, it depends on what you mean. In terms of character development and things of that nature, yeah, Zelda games aren't very strong with those since they choose not to focus on them. That said, if you are actively exploring the world and doing side-quests and talking to people, you'll see that most Zelda games are packed with a rich and interesting mythos that is so extensively developed it puts most fantasy games to shame.

Now, going by the conventions of story-telling in movies and novels, no, it's not the most intricate story-telling. However, it is very unique compared to those mediums because it's NOT either of those things, and Nintendo clearly realizes that. It's a video game, first and foremost, and thus tells a story in a way that only this medium can be utilized to do. That's how a video game story SHOULD be, I'm fucking tired of every game that's trying to be an interactive movie being praised as good story-telling when all it's doing is shitting all over the unique-ness of this medium and just trying to be something else entirely. It drives me up the wall when so many people fall for that bull-shit.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel like this is one of my biggest pet peeves about so many gamers, and is one of the reasons I prefer just hanging out with you AR guys on the internet nowadays. I like the storytelling in Zelda so far and I like that it doesn't feel like it's trying to be bigger, darker, and more complicated than it actually is. It's simple, it's straightforward, and it works. And when they do tackle deeper story themes, they do it well. I also hear people say Zelda stories are bad because they are "unoriginal" and frequently recycle story elements (sealing Ganon, retrieving the Master Sword, etc.), as if Zelda is the only franchise to borrow or recycle ideas.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2014, 06:56:56 PM
And seriously, do you guys realize how much symbolism and nuance is crammed into Majora's Mask's story past the base story-line (which would probably go over the heads of those that were in the bunch to claim that most video game stories are better). I daresay it's one of the deepest tales ever told in a Nintendo game. You also do get to learn a lot about characters through both their personality and occasionally subtle hints about their back-story.

I think I've talked about it here and TV.com (back when we used that site). Yeah, I really like those elements of MM, and it has some cool imagery. MM is actually one of my absolute favorite game stories in general. You just learn about people by watching their lives and how they react to the oncoming apocalypse. Games that people tend to worship probably wouldn't do that with nearly as much subtlety.

Wind Waker also has some nice story elements and themes. I like how, because the world of Hyrule was flooded and history was essentially lost, you can only find fragments of the past eras around the ocean. You see signs of battles (ruins on various islands), various pirate fortresses, and the Gerudo Fortress has been replaced with the Forsaken Fortress (Tetra also claims the pirates once "competed" with the original owners of Forsaken Fortress), it can make you wonder exactly what kind of place the ocean was when it was first born after Hyrule was sealed underwater, and people were probably struggling to survive. These things exist for you to see, but the game doesn't really draw much attention to them. Then the game also, in the ending, has the themes of Ganon wanting to restore Hyrule and rule it the way he did in OoT, whereas the King of Hyrule decides that, despite it being his home, decides that it's better to leave Hyrule to vanish under the sea so that life above water can have a better future. It's probably the nicest bit of continuity in the Zelda canon because Wind Waker follows OoT in a very meaningful way.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

So it's Skyward Sword related this time?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Not exactly, since Hyrule Castle is where it is. I think they just used Skyward Sword Link.

Avaitor

I also noticed the rider from SS.

Interesting.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

I actually quite liked the level, short as it is. Sonic's new control scheme is actually pretty cool in a sprawling Hyrule Field-esque area like the one they had here.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I liked the open field idea they had. I hope they go with that basic 3D design for future Sonic games. Very Sonic Adventure 1.

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Best April Fools Day joke ever! :>

Spark Of Spirit

Some info on how Hyrule Warriors will play:

QuoteTwo players can play simultaneously, one playing off the TV and the other playing off the game pad. During single play, the game pad is used as a sub menu.

The play style evolves with the ability to set your character with various weapons, such as the speed focused sword and damage focused heavy weapons.

The game has a weapon strengthening system and elements of character growth.

Uses the action style of Dynasty Warriors as a base, and adds the Z-targeting from the Zelda games. Skillful play makes avoiding attacks and aiming for enemy weak points simple.

The Zelda series's familiar spin attack is replaced with the Musou attack from Dynasty Warriors.

The bomb returns. It sounds as though its use isn't limited to chucking at enemies.

Impa, a newly appointed captain of the Hyrule army, is confirmed as a playable character. She uses a giant sword.

Besides Link and Impa, the game is expected to have a number of other playable characters. Aonuma is even noted commenting on the great number of characters planned.

The game will be playable at E3.

Current development progress is 70% complete.

Yep, Team Ninja is involved.

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteComing from a ZeldaDungeon interview with Mr. Aonuma...

ZD: So with A Link Between Worlds that came out, you aimed to change the conventions of Zelda a lot. Such as getting the items in different order, or playing the dungeons in a different order. Is this something we should expect to see carrying over in the upcoming Zelda game for the Wii U.

Aonuma: Yes (laughs)
Excited!

It's already better than Skyward Sword by default!  :D

Kiddington

I refuse to believe Skyward Sword is as bad as you guys say it is.  :srs:

Nel_Annette

Sooooo... for those of us who are still interested in Hyrule Warriors, Three OoT reps are confirmed. Shiek, Ruto, and Darunia.

http://gematsu.com/2014/07/shiek-darunia-princess-ruto-playable-hyrule-warriors

Spark Of Spirit

Sheik was a fairly obvious choice.

Has Vaati been confirmed yet? Him and Ralph (fairly unlikely) are the only characters I'd really like to use.