The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, I really don't like the flying controls. I keep on diving down when I don't want to.

I've been planning on trying it again, but I just haven't been impressed with SS all that much. I really wish Desen it TP in his list instead.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I still need to play TP for more than 30 minutes. Which control scheme for that one is better, Wii or GC (and if it's the latter, can you plug a GC controller in to play the Wii version a la RE 4?)?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 18, 2012, 11:50:43 PM
Playing Skyward Sword for real reals now. Restarted the game since it's been so long since I've played any of it.

The motion controls were really cool at first, but honestly, now that the novelty's worn off, I think this game would've been much better without them. I feel like Miyamoto most of the time during combat (you know what I'm talking about) and the flying controls are godawful. SS has way too many cutscenes, too. If Nintendo was going to put this many unskippable story cinematics in their game, they might as well have given them voice acting. Yeah, sue me, I wish a Zelda game had voice acting.

Level design-wise, SS doesn't even hold a candle to Wind Waker or the N64 titles so far, though I'm sure it gets better. But Fi's hand-holding is really getting on my nerves.

While it may sound like I'm hating on it, I'm actually really enjoying the game so far. It isn't blowing me away like most of the series' other entries, but it's still pretty good. Hopefully it improves by the end.

I hear you. While I was in love with this game when it first came out, I've since mellowed out about it and have issues with it now. It's still great, just not one of the BEST GAMES EVAR.

The dungeons get much better later on. However, my issue with the game is the overworld. It's just more dungeon. The past Zelda games had breathing room between dungeons, time to relax or explore. But in SS, not really. As for the motion controls, I like them as an alternative to traditional controls, not better or worse. But I do have an issue with how they feel the need to tack them onto every little speck of the game. It makes the game feel like a tech demo.

Also, for the record, I think WW's dungeons sucked. Badly. :P

Quote from: Foggle on April 19, 2012, 09:36:26 AM
I still need to play TP for more than 30 minutes. Which control scheme for that one is better, Wii or GC (and if it's the latter, can you plug a GC controller in to play the Wii version a la RE 4?)?

The GC version of TP is much better (also, the GC controller doesn't work with the Wii version). To be honest, I find TP's motion controls to be a joke. Unlike SS's perfect sword control, TP's was just shake the Wiimote to make Link swing it, or as some might call it, waggle. Plus, there's a delay between swinging the Wiimote and Link swinging his sword. It's just lazy, tacked on motion controls that were done to sell copies of the game.

Also, it's worth mentioning that in the Wii version, they mirrored the entire game so that Link could be right handed.

Admittedly, the Wii version did sell better. But I attribute that entirely to it being a Wii launch title. Plus, the GC version came out later, once people had moved on from that console.

Nel_Annette

What was wrong with WW's dungeons? They felt the exact same as Ocarina's and Twilight Princess' to me.

It's not that I disagree with you, it's just been so long since I played any of those particular three and in my memory, the dungeons were pretty much the same style in each one.  :sweat: Unless you mean the team-ups with the bird girl and the wood thing, which I would agree was pretty awful.

talonmalon333

One more thing, Foggle. I do want to see voice acting in Zelda. I know people are afraid of it, but I think voice acting can only add to the experience as long as it's passable.

Quote from: Nel on April 19, 2012, 11:19:49 AM
What was wrong with WW's dungeons? They felt the exact same as Ocarina's and Twilight Princess' to me.

It's not that I disagree with you, it's just been so long since I played any of those particular three and in my memory, the dungeons were pretty much the same style in each one.  :sweat: Unless you mean the team-ups with the bird girl and the wood thing, which I would agree was pretty awful.

It's the team-ups that I really hate. But even the first few dungeons just feel... dull. Maybe it's just the atmosphere or lack of any real music. I also think they kinda dragged on.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't mind the idea of voice acting in Zelda at all, just so long as Link stays traditionally silent. It just wouldn't feel right to hear him talk, IMO, even if he has a good voice actor in his role.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 19, 2012, 11:26:30 AM
I don't mind the idea of voice acting in Zelda at all, just so long as Link stays traditionally silent. It just wouldn't feel right to hear him talk, IMO, even if he has a good voice actor in his role.

That's exactly how I feel. Another idea I occasionally think about is if they just use a made up Hylian language. I think it could be interesting.

Nel_Annette

Okay, I can kind of agree with the dragging thing. But I did enjoy the music that was there for Temple Of the Gods at least. I just wish they had more dungeons. I always get irritated when a LoZ game has less than 8. Other games in the series spoiled me that way, I guess.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel on April 19, 2012, 11:52:45 AM
Okay, I can kind of agree with the dragging thing. But I did enjoy the music that was there for Temple Of the Gods at least. I just wish they had more dungeons. I always get irritated when a LoZ game has less than 8. Other games in the series spoiled me that way, I guess.

The Tower of the Gods wasn't terrible, and I enjoyed Forsaken Fortress. But I didn't like the rest. I also don't mind when there are less than eight dungeons, as long as they are made well.

Nel_Annette

Well, it's more of the missed opportunities that bugged me in WW. The third jewel thing you get from Jabun? Should have had a dungeon at the ruined island to go rescue him and get it. The volcano island and ice islands where you go to get the power bracelet and the other thing. Should have been dungeons. The Triforce piece(s)? Should have been the final dungeon before Ganondorf, instead of a long series of boring treasure hunts via sailing. It just feels like it's had its wings clipped, so to speak.

Foggle

Yeah, while Wind Waker may actually be my favorite Zelda game, parts of it definitely seem rushed.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel on April 19, 2012, 12:26:12 PM
Should have had a dungeon at the ruined island to go rescue him and get it.

The Triforce piece(s)? Should have been the final dungeon before Ganondorf, instead of a long series of boring treasure hunts via sailing. 

I actually really liked getting the third pearl. I don't think that was rushed. Too early on in the game to assume that. I think Nintendo just wanted to try something new. Really liked the atmosphere of the whole section. And considering how I feel about WW's dungeons in general, I think it's better they avoided another one. :P

And I didn't mind the Triforce hunt. I really like the freedom you have at that point.

Spark Of Spirit

I still like WW the best of all 3D Zeldas, but yeah it was clearly rushed which is why it isn't as perfect as it could be. But man, even playing it now, the can controls, looks, sounds, and just plain feels perfect to play. It's the only 3D Zelda that just fits me like a glove.

It has the best art style, too. I never got the hate.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 19, 2012, 06:35:41 PM
It has the best art style, too. I never got the hate.
Nine year olds raged about it because it was "for babies," basically.

talonmalon333

Speaking of art styles, is Zelda ever going to stick with one? When will it ever get over it's identity crisis? :P