The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I personally love the fact that it changes art-styles so drastically between games. Each art-style suits its respective game just fine, and personally I'd get rather tired of seeing multiple games that stick to the same old art-style over years upon years worth of entries in the series.

Foggle

Speaking of which, Skyward Sword's art style is... odd. It's like a cross between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. It's good for the most part, but some things just look really off. Out of place.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't played the game yet myself, so I can't really comment too much on it, but I like what I've seen of SS's art-style. It feels very well-suited to a Zelda game and I think it has some of the best character designs of the series. But, once again, that's only based on what I've seen from previews of the game.

Foggle

The levels themselves (especially areas with water) look excellent, as do the character models for Link and Zelda. The rest of the character/enemy models are a bit strange in that they don't really click with the majority of the game's art... they look like they're either lifted directly from Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Kinda' awkward at times.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 19, 2012, 06:59:07 PM
I personally love the fact that it changes art-styles so drastically between games. Each art-style suits its respective game just fine, and personally I'd get rather tired of seeing multiple games that stick to the same old art-style over years upon years worth of entries in the series.

No other series changes it's art style the way Zelda constantly does. Why would Zelda in particular bother you if it chose to pick a permanent look?

Plus, games can still use the same style, but have a different aesthetic or feel. Just look at OoT and MM.

I might even argue TP is the same style, just upgraded (cause we all know the GC is more powerful than the N64).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 19, 2012, 08:23:50 PM
No other series changes it's art style the way Zelda constantly does. Why would Zelda in particular bother you if it chose to pick a permanent look?

I didn't say it would bother me. I said that it would get tiring to use the same art-style over and over again. I LIKE the fact that it changes art-styles. Why is that a hard concept to understand?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 19, 2012, 08:41:16 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 19, 2012, 08:23:50 PM

I didn't say it would bother me. I said that it would get tiring to use the same art-style over and over again. I LIKE the fact that it changes art-styles. Why is that a hard concept to understand?

Take it easy. I wasn't trying to jump on you. :P

I do see what you mean. And typically, the look they pick that suits the game does suit the mood of the games. I just think that, if they pick a versatile look and just stick with it (preferable the OoT-MM-TP-Wii U Tech Demo), the series would have more of an identity (which it had until WW). Plus, they'd be able to focus more on pure game content rather than designing new graphical styles from the ground up. In fact, they once stated that, if SS had TP's graphics, it could've been done by E3 2010. :o

That's just my opinion on the matter.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wasn't trying to attack you. I was just defending my opinion on the matter.

At any rate I think we can at least agree that most art-styles that each Zelda game picks look good in general. Maybe not all of them can please everyone, but for me its a factor that helps each new entry in the series feel fresh and something that stands on its own.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 19, 2012, 09:52:06 PM
I wasn't trying to attack you. I was just defending my opinion on the matter.

At any rate I think we can at least agree that most art-styles that each Zelda game picks look good in general. Maybe not all of them can please everyone, but for me its a factor that helps each new entry in the series feel fresh and something that stands on its own.

My bad. I took the "hard concept to understand" line the wrong way. :sweat:

Yeah, I do agree with you. Most of them do look great. Which style is your favorite? I like OoT's mostly cause it just suits the series so well. However, I'd say that WW currently looks the best and has the most timeless appearance. Never get tired of looking at that ocean.

Also, I'm not sure if you ever played Four Swords Adventures, but parts of it look lovely. This shot, for example.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd have to second the Wind Waker art style being my favorite. Its by far the most unique and has the most appealing character, enemy, and environmental designs to me.

Avaitor

I'm still fond on the Twilight Princess look myself. I think it's a good balance of light and dark, and a less dated take on the OOT/MM style.

The Wind Waker designs definitely get credit for originality and color though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I think Wind Waker definitely has the best art style. Never get tired of that ocean, and some of the goofy character designs still make me laugh.

My opinion might change once I actually spend some quality time with TP, though.

Kiddington

I love the design to Wind Waker as well. Really, unless your onus on Zelda is that anything and everything look like OoT (which, at the time, was the general perception), I don't know how you cannot like it. The art styles go well beyond "Toon Link", and the overall environments look downright gorgeous at times.

Honestly, I just wish they'd make another game using this art style that's actually, you know, good. I've made it known that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks simply are not my cup of tea; too slow, too gimmicky, and too dependent on awkward touch-screen controls. I'd love to see another console installment with the WW art style, but unfortunately, that'll probably never happen now. It looks as though the two distinctive art styles are being reserved for only one area of development at a time (OoT/TP style for consoles, WW style for handhelds).

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I grew up with the original games and ALTTP so this is basically what I always saw with Zelda:

which is why I really liked Wind Waker's art style.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on April 20, 2012, 03:59:48 PM
Honestly, I just wish they'd make another game using this art style that's actually, you know, good. I've made it known that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks simply are not my cup of tea; too slow, too gimmicky, and too dependent on awkward touch-screen controls.
I remember liking Minish Cap. Haven't played it since release, but it was pretty awesome IMO.