Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I've played demoes for two of them and really like them. I love the way Sly moves.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Ratchet 1-3, Jak 1 & 2, and Sly 2 are in the top 100 highest reviewed PS2 games of all time according to Metacritic. Ratchet 2 & 3 are in the top 50. :)

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 14, 2015, 08:50:22 PM
I've played demoes for two of them and really like them. I love the way Sly moves.
The platforming and stealth are amazing. The only problem is that they focus way too much on terrible mini-games.

gunswordfist

That's what I'm hearing. Except for Thieves in Time, none are high on my list. And I love me some stealth. ;D

talonmalon333

No modern platformer mini-game can compare with the sheer perfection of Beaver Bother.

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 14, 2015, 08:58:43 PM
No modern platformer mini-game can compare with the sheer perfection of Beaver Bother.
:devil:

I miss when Ratchet & Clank consistently got 10/10 reviews...

talonmalon333

Nononononono I was kidding don't do that to yourself gunswordfist you have your life ahead of you.

Spark Of Spirit

You might not mind the mini-games in Sly 1 or the repetitiveness of Sly 2, but evens till the Sly Collection is worth a playthrough.

The Jak Collection is worth it even if II is divisive and 3 has a lot of weird quirks. The Ratchet Collection is a no-brainer for a platformer fan.

The Jak, Ratchet, and Sly games were popular in the PS2 generation for a reason.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 14, 2015, 09:00:56 PM
*googles*
My condolences.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Sounds like 2nd place is a toss up between Sly and Jak.

By the way Spark, how would you imagine that hypothetical Mario and Sonic crossover platformer going? I try to imagine but their clashing gameplay styles don't seem to mesh for me.

Foggle

I'd put J&D above Sly Cooper, personally. A lot of people hate Jak 2 (with good reason, if I'm honest), but it's one of my favorite games of all time. Then again, so are Banjo-Tooie and Saints Row 4. I like divisive sequels.

Spark Of Spirit

All three collections are worth your time, honestly.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 14, 2015, 09:07:20 PM

By the way Spark, how would you imagine that hypothetical Mario and Sonic crossover platformer going? I try to imagine but their clashing gameplay styles don't seem to mesh for me.
Sonic would play like he does in Sonic Lost World and Mario would play like he usually does. It would mesh fine, as far as I can tell.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 14, 2015, 09:35:45 PM
All three collections are worth your time, honestly.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 14, 2015, 09:07:20 PM

Sonic would play like he does in Sonic Lost World and Mario would play like he usually does. It would mesh fine, as far as I can tell.

I meant in the 2D platformer idea. I feel like they would have to have separate levels.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 14, 2015, 09:03:20 PM
Nononononono I was kidding don't do that to yourself gunswordfist you have your life ahead of you.
Ah, you care. :blush: :D I thought you were trolling, which is why I held back excitement and said that instead.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 14, 2015, 09:04:28 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 14, 2015, 09:00:56 PM
*googles*
My condolences.
:lol:

Foggle

I really don't want to get too hyped for a game that doesn't have any official screenshots or videos yet, but apparently Insomniac has gotten past employees who worked on the PS2 games and left the studio years ago to do level designs on the Ratchet & Clank remake/reboot/whatever...

Spark Of Spirit