The Powerpuff Girls

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 12, 2021, 08:03:25 PMAnyway, here's what they really look like in the show.

That's an awkward design choice. Those cartoony clouds really clash with the rest of the image.

Daxdiv

Bubbles' actress is cute, I'll give her that.

Daikun

The script for the pilot was leaked. Let's check out a few pages.

EDIT: Here's the full script.

Dr. Insomniac

I "love" the part where Bubbles reveals the cartoons are whitewashed propaganda in-universe.

Teewhy

The script is awful but 100% would take live-action Bubbles to a nice restaurant for appetizers

Daxdiv

Apparently, they reshooting/reworking this pilot. How bad did this thing had to be for CW to go "You know what, can you redo this? This is bad, even for us." Even with reading snippets from Twitter about this, even I'm cringing at the dialogue. I don't even think I want to read the full thing.

Dr. Insomniac

I've heard at least two people on Twitter argue that maybe was the pilot was too good for CW... I'm impressed that Diablo Cody still has stans who could believe that.

Daxdiv

The script got hit with a DMCA claim, that mean it was real all along. It's The Last of Us Part 2 all over again!

Avaitor

Everything I've read from this pilot is a glorified trainwreck, just about the worst thing you could expect. All of Diablo Cody and Greg Berlanti's worst traits right next to each other.

But the crazy thing is, this could still be someone's favorite show. To be fair, so can literally anything, but I could see it run for  a couple of seasons with a combination of hate watching and a genuine following.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Not gonna lie, I'm now hoping the new version of the pilot gets green lit and is even crazier. We BADLY need a So Bad Its Good Show. I mean, Gotham's been wrapped up for what, three years now?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on May 26, 2021, 01:27:25 PM
But the crazy thing is, this could still be someone's favorite show. To be fair, so can literally anything, but I could see it run for  a couple of seasons with a combination of hate watching and a genuine following.
Yeah, I could see someone interpreting it as a subversive coming-of-age story that takes the child superhero story and turns it inside out for horror and psychological angst. The problem is, we already have Umbrella Academy. It's like if DC made a knockoff of Invincible where it's just Superman in Omni-Man's role and he's the one killing the League and abusing his son.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't even understand the appeal of trying to make a late 90's/early 2000's kids cartoon into a live-action show for presumably teenage/young adult audiences. To be more specific, one that is clearly very stylized to be as goofy and exaggerated as the show ended up being (and I say this as someone who grew up with PPG). This isn't something like Avatar or Gargoyles which could at least have the potential for a good live-action adaptation if done well (obviously the former was horribly botched, but it's still possible to make a good one). Granted, I identify those as animated shows and will always prefer them as such, but I can admit that they can at least work in another medium. With PPG, it was specifically designed to be a cartoon with the very entertainment value of the show coming from the stylized use of that cartoon logic. Taking that away is literally taking out the core essence of what made the show what it was.

This is the same reason that the One Piece live-action show is equally baffling to me. The pirate adventure meets battle shounen meets Tolkien-levels of lore meets Looney Tunes-esque cartoon antics are the pillars of that property's identity. Take a guess at which one of those four things can't be translated into live-action.

There are some things from one medium that just aren't meant to be translated into another, and it kind of boggles my mind how so many people in the entertainment industry just don't seem to get it.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 27, 2021, 07:56:00 PM
I don't even understand the appeal of trying to make a late 90's/early 2000's kids cartoon into a live-action show for presumably teenage/young adult audiences. To be more specific, one that is clearly very stylized to be as goofy and exaggerated as the show ended up being (and I say this as someone who grew up with PPG). This isn't something like Avatar or Gargoyles which could at least have the potential for a good live-action adaptation if done well (obviously the former was horribly botched, but it's still possible to make a good one). Granted, I identify those as animated shows and will always prefer them as such, but I can admit that they can at least work in another medium. With PPG, it was specifically designed to be a cartoon with the very entertainment value of the show coming from the stylized use of that cartoon logic. Taking that away is literally taking out the core essence of what made the show what it was.
In a way, doing that's been CW/WB's bread and butter. One of their longest running shows was taking Superman and shoving him into a Buffy-shaped show for a decade, and for some people, Tom Welling's their Superman despite how different he is from all the others. Same thing with turning Archie into Riverdale or their current attempt at trying to make teens care about Walker Texas Ranger.

But CW PPG's notable due to how ridiculous it is. And because the IP struggles to work even in its own medium after the first four seasons of the original show. Everything after the movie like the Savino seasons, PPG Z, the 2016 show, and the one-off episode with Ringo Starr have either been polarizing or damned by fans.

What's even odder is it would be easy to write it off as people who knew nothing about PPG making an adaptation, but then you read the script and there are references to not just episodes of the show, but the anime too. It's just like when the Super Mario Bros movie was filled with references to the games when it was nothing like the games themselves.

Daikun

Daikun