Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

Thought of a few more:

- Obviously this isn't an unpopular opinion here but it seems to be everywhere else in the world: I hate Butch Hartman's shows. Fairly Odd Parents, Danny Phantom, whatever, they all suck. I know so many people who fondly remember these shows as some of the greatest Nicktoons ever and I cannot for the life of me figure out what they find appealing about them. FOP, for example, is a show where every character's voice is loud, shrill, and annoying. And everyone screams. Danny Phantom tried to be an action show and a comedy show and failed to do both. Butch Hartman is a hack. I firmly believe this.

- Even though I knew it was a bad show, I found enjoyment in Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. I don't know why. But let me make it clear: I know the show was a piece of crap. But for some reason I watched it.

- I liked FUNimation's dub of Shin-Chan. Sometimes the jokes fell flat but overall I found it hilarious. I also enjoy the original subbed version of Crayon Shin-Chan.

- I never found Spongebob Squarepants all that amazing, even in the first three seasons. Don't get me wrong, those first three seasons do have some great episodes and I actually really like the movie. But overall I find the show to be pretty overrated.

- I liked Teen Titans. It seems unpopular around these parts, but I really enjoyed it.

- I hated Reboot. Tried watching it as a kid and just couldn't get into it. I understand it was a technological marvel for its time but the show just did nothing for me.

- I found Antz more entertaining than A Bug's Life. Granted it's been years since I've seen either, but I liked Antz more.

gunswordfist

As for EK saying he likes Trigun more than Bebop, I thought I was the only one. I can see how others would like Cowboy Bebop more but I prefer Trigun. Hell, mostly thanks to my Devil May Cry bias but whatever. I need to watch the episodes I missed and in order soon. Hell, I've missed some CB episodes.

NGE sucks.

Akira is overrated as hell.

Cowboy Bebop The Movie/Knocking on Heaven's Door is the greatest anime movie of all time and much better than the show.

Secret Of Mamo is so much better than Castle of Cagliostro. With that said, CoC is a great classic and besides being called the best Lupin movie or the best Lupin anything, it isn't overrated.

Lupin The Third should be considered one of the 3 greatest classic anime series of all time.

Lupin The Third's English dub rocks, even with the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and such time paradox lines.

Samurai Champloo is better than Rurouni Kenshin.

Fist of the Northstar should be considered the greatest anime classic ever (heh, I didn't even have this in mind when I wrote about Lupin. Shows how that works out.)

Heat Guy J is the absolute best futuristic anime.

Gundam sucks.

Giant Robot anime not named Big O or Zoids sucks.

High school in anime has never been entertaining.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: Eddy on November 17, 2011, 02:36:05 AM
- I never found Spongebob Squarepants all that amazing, even in the first three seasons. Don't get me wrong, those first three seasons do have some great episodes and I actually really like the movie. But overall I find the show to be pretty overrated.
SpongeBob at it's best is just a toned-down Rocko's Modern Life, and at it's worst is the animated equivalent to laughing at the special needs kid.

I'll never understand the appeal of this show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like Spongebob. I never thought it was great, but I never really disliked it either. I find it to be a decent cartoon, nothing more, and nothing less.

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 17, 2011, 08:46:39 AM
Lupin The Third should be considered one of the 3 greatest classic anime series of all time.

Lupin The Third's English dub rocks, even with the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and such time paradox lines.

Agreed.

Spark Of Spirit

I like Spongebob in small doses. Nick absolutely kills this show with the way they overplay it, though.

I also like Teen Titans. It's a decent show. But I don't love it or really have much attachment to it. My main issue was how every episode only had like 6 characters and barely ever had background characters. That just irked me. It made the world feel too small and not very interesting.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 17, 2011, 12:11:01 PM

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 17, 2011, 08:46:39 AM

Agreed.
I was really shocked when I heard the hate for the Lupin English dub but then again, the stupidity of anime fans never ceases to amaze me.
Quote from: Desensitized on November 17, 2011, 12:20:36 PM
I like Spongebob in small doses. Nick absolutely kills this show with the way they overplay it, though.

I also like Teen Titans. It's a decent show. But I don't love it or really have much attachment to it. My main issue was how every episode only had like 6 characters and barely ever had background characters. That just irked me. It made the world feel too small and not very interesting.
What else don't you like about the show? I've been meaning to ask you that when you said there was a bunch wrong with it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Well, Teen Titans to me was always a good show, but it never managed to be great for me. It might have been that it never seemed to know when to be serious or comedic and some parts are jarring. Another thing is, like I said, the world seems very empty, we never really see the general public and the team never really interacts with them making it feel very detached. The last season had some pretty poor moments of seriousness proving to me that it probably should have focused more on comedy. I mean, my favorite episode was the Tofu one with Beast Boy, but they rarely did episodes like that after a certain point.

Though I did like the ending unlike most people, I don't think it fit this show. It seemed sort of forced in at the end like they needed to have some sort of series defining statement, but Teen Titans was never that kind of show. IMO, the ending with all the heroes fit much better. The ending would have worked better in a show like TB&TB or other superhero shows, but it didn't really fit Teen Titans.

Also, the Brain kinda ignores the Doom Patrol and goes after the Titans for no real reason (and they never even help them which is also weird) which really bugs me, and the Cyborg arc is pretty forgettable and doesn't really have a lot of emotion even though that's what they want to get across. I don't mind drama in less serious shows, but if you don't do it right, it just feels like a waste of time.

Despite all that, it's not a bad show, but it's not really anything great, so when people were expecting us to put it on the list, I was very surprised.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on November 17, 2011, 01:36:12 PM
Also, the Brain kinda ignores the Doom Patrol and goes after the Titans for no real reason (and they never even help them which is also weird) which really bugs me, and the Cyborg arc is pretty forgettable and doesn't really have a lot of emotion even though that's what they want to get across. I don't mind drama in less serious shows, but if you don't do it right, it just feels like a waste of time.

Brain redirected his focus on the Teen Titans because they were a bigger threat. Or at least, they were a rising threat.

I thought Teen Titans, when it wanted to be serious, was done very well. Seasons two and four are still some of my all time favorite arcs.

Spark Of Spirit

It still doesn't really explain why the Doom Patrol does nothing whatsoever despite him being their biggest enemy. They just vanish.

Kiddington

Spongebob would have been fine, had Nick stuck to their original plans and just ended it after the movie. Obviously, the show became a megahit phenomenon, and thus, we went from there.

Without Steve Hillenburg, as well as several of the original writers involved (all of whom left after the movie), it really went downhill. Most of the crew I can see that work on it now are long-time vets of other, not-so-great Nicktoons (CatDog, late-run Hey Arnold, etc.), and the quality shows.

...as far as my opinion of it goes, I've made that pretty obvious already; love the first three seasons, indifferent towards the movie, and hate everything that came afterwards.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on November 17, 2011, 04:57:17 PM
It still doesn't really explain why the Doom Patrol does nothing whatsoever despite him being their biggest enemy. They just vanish.

Oh. Well in that case I agree. Don't like how they just vanish.

I think the Terra and Trigon stories were a clear step above this one.

Kiddington

Commode

I agree.  I like the Cars movies, even if they are rather bleh by Pixar standards.  But that doesn't mean they are the bad films that the internet would lead you to believe.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

I also enjoy Cars as well.

I also enjoy Shrek, which is also another series that gets a lot of hate for being a franchise zombie or something. I'll admit that I still think that 3 is the weakest in the series but I don't hate it as much as I used to.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Cars 1 was pretty good. Cars 2 was terrible though.