Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

If anything, it was more like their answer to As Told by Ginger, which wouldn't make much sense, since they came out around the same time.

In terms of humor though, it's like Recess, but a little more clever IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, The Weekenders and Recess were 2 nostalgic shows I used to watch quite a lot as a kid. I haven't seen either of them in ages and hardly remember them, though, so I have no idea how they hold up today.

Dr. Insomniac

Commode

I watched the shit out of Recess as a kid, and I still remember quite a bit from it, it was kind of like Hey Arnold to me.  I haven't watched it in a couple years, but the last time I did I still enjoyed it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

"What's your favorite instrument"
*does mouth guitar solo* "PIANO!!!"

^Still a favorite Weekenders quote.

Recess was pretty good, too. I should look some of that up as well.

Except for the one with Miss Finster dressed up as a hula girl. That still gives me nightmares.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Rynnec

Do they really always explain the jokes in the actual episodes of an anime comedy? Usually that only happens when the translators put in a note on the subtitles.

Foggle

Not every joke (and in a lot of cases, not even most of them), but many anime comedies -- especially recent ones -- apparently find it necessary to have the characters explain jokes to the audience. Kill Me Baby is a very good example of something that's currently airing; at least half of the jokes in the first episode alone are explained after delivery. For a more popular example, joke explanations are extremely prominent in the early episodes of Lucky Star (before the director changed). Even truly hilarious anime comedies like Cromartie, Fumoffu, and Excel Saga do this shit, though it's worth noting that English dubbers usually write it out of their localized scripts.

Spark Of Spirit

I think it's a cultural thing in that they don't like people being left out on a gag. Though some comedies need it just so I can understand exactly where the joke even is.

Quote from: Foggle on March 05, 2012, 12:36:36 AM
Every anime comedy ever.

Exactly how I feel about art. Just replace it with "joke" and it's the same thing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mr. Big

So am I the only one who enjoyed the latest FIM episode (Dragon Quest)?

It's not the best episode of the show, but, jeezuz, it's far from the worst, as some people are saying at TZ.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on March 05, 2012, 12:36:36 AM
Every anime comedy ever.

I don't think that's necessarily an unpopular opinion among Western viewers of anime. Most people have always hated that shit, and anime comedies are no longer as popular here as they used to be because audiences have grown up and realize just how annoying it is to see that trend in so many anime. Most modern shonen anime do this a lot too and it drives me up the wall, though at least shonen series have the excuse of having younger viewers who actually may not get the jokes (though, really, most of the jokes are so insanely stupid that I would probably have gotten it without an explanation even if I was 5....and I still wouldn't have found it funny).

Foggle

I'm not sure why it's so prominent in anime. Manga doesn't really have that problem, from what I've seen.

gunswordfist

First season of Family Guy>first season of The Simpsons. I wish Family Guy developed into something good because I would be able to go back to the early episodes and enjoy them for what they are and see how much better the show has gotten, but like many others I can't be bothered to watch any episode of the show anymore.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

That's an interesting comparison. However, I'd have to give it to the Simpsons season 1 for trying so many different ideas. Family Guy's first season felt like they were just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

When it comes to Family Guy, I thought the second season was okay but the third showed some potential. Until they totally blew it with the comeback.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton