Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

And on the flip-side I thought both Galaxy games were way ahead of SM64 and Sunshine.

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on January 17, 2013, 06:01:59 PM
What challenges? Catching the thief guy?
The challenge mode. This mode.

QuoteIt's not a terrible game, but it definitely feels like an easy pass for me. It plays and feels like the Wii version, just not nearly as fresh or interesting.
I dunno, I think the difficulty is higher than World, Land 1 or 2, or NSMB DS. I actually died quite a bit in this one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on January 17, 2013, 05:56:56 PM
I used to think Lost Levels was the worst, but I can easily give that title to NSMB 2 or U now. Both of them completely forgettable and piss easy.

NSMBU? Really? I mean, I haven't played it yet so I can't say. But from what people are saying, it seems to be considered the first New Super Mario Bros. game that is slightly more than a bare minimum effort SMB3 rip-off. :P

Spark Of Spirit

I could never in good conscience call it worse than NSMBDS. I think U has great level design and every ghost house is actually fantastic in this one when they're usually my least favorite levels.

Like I said, I actually died a lot in this. Something that hasn't happened to me in a 2D Mario game in a long time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 17, 2013, 06:23:49 PM
I could never in good conscience call it worse than NSMBDS. I think U has great level design and every ghost house is actually fantastic in this one when they're usually my least favorite levels.

Like I said, I actually died a lot in this. Something that hasn't happened to me in a 2D Mario game in a long time.

What's this post in response to?

Spark Of Spirit

A general statement wondering how U (or 2 for that matter) is easier than NSMB DS.

2 is a score game, so difficulty doesn't matter so much but U gets tricky a lot faster than NSMBWii or any Mario game since 3. I think it might just be because we're so used to NSMB's tricks.

Dr. Insomniac

Sonic Adventure has bad controls.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 18, 2013, 01:59:21 AM
Sonic Adventure has bad controls.

Yet the controls are responsive to whatever I press and Sonic goes in whatever direction I press without any problems.

It has a bad camera would probably be a more accurate statement. The controls work fine.

Nel_Annette

Controls always felt solid to me. They'll occasionally wig-out in Sonic Adventure 2 though.

gunswordfist

Played Sonic Adventure 2's demo this morning. I hate the camera, the enemies decided to not die when I hit them with the homing attack sometimes and I hate using the homing attack when platforming.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I honestly remember Sonic Adventure's controls being better and more responsive than Sonic Colors'. Might just be the nostalgia though.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 18, 2013, 10:12:47 AM
Controls always felt solid to me. They'll occasionally wig-out in Sonic Adventure 2 though.
What's weird is that I just replayed both Adventure games... Adventure 2's controls were fine (except in Crazy Gadget), but the original's felt unresponsive on multiple occasions. Also, the camera is horrible in later levels.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 18, 2013, 12:08:28 PM
I honestly remember Sonic Adventure's controls being better and more responsive than Sonic Colors'. Might just be the nostalgia though.
The drifting in Sonic Colors and Generations is terrible, but the controls are far better otherwise IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 18, 2013, 12:13:14 PM
What's weird is that I just replayed both Adventure games... Adventure 2's controls were fine (except in Crazy Gadget), but the original's felt unresponsive on multiple occasions. Also, the camera is horrible in later levels.

I have no idea what version of the game you were playing, but I replayed ALL of Sonic's and Knuckle's levels on the XBOX360 port. I didn't have a single problem with controls in terms of them being unresponsive, so either you played a bad port of the game, or the control issues just come from you having a personal preference for SA2 rather than there actually being anything legitimately wrong with SA1's controls. I don't know what else to say except that when I press buttons in that game, they do what I'm inputting 100% of the time (and I mean 100%).

Also, Sonic Adventure 2's camera is just as bad as Sonic Adventure 1's, and even worse in the level Crazy Gadget what with all of the odd angles that you'll be running at. With Sonic Adventure, the only level where the camera gave me a serious issue was in Lost World. I don't know where you're getting all this from, but I haven't seen nearly as many problems with Sonic Adventure 1 than what you make out. When I replayed the game, I actually went out of my way to see if those issues were really as bad as you said because you were persistent about it being worse than Sonic Adventure 2 on that technical level of camera and controls, but I just flat-out didn't see it. All I can say is that while the camera is wonky (and it IS wonky in BOTH games, not just the first), I can attribute 95% of my deaths in SA1 to being my own fault rather than anything being wrong with the game. That said maybe I don't have an accurate measurement since I never died that much in SA1 in the first place. As I recall, SA2 had a lot more cheap and frustrating deaths for me, but to be fair I haven't replayed quite as much of that game as I did SA1, so I'll see how it holds up eventually when I replay all of it.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 18, 2013, 12:08:28 PM
The drifting in Sonic Colors and Generations is terrible, but the controls are far better otherwise IMO.

I've played both, and my problem with them is how the 3D segments control (the 2D portions are fine). The controls aren't bad. They are responsive, but like I said, so were the Adventure games; I mean, I don't know how much more responsive you can get than having the game perform the exact command you inputted when you press the corresponding button, so I don't really see that aspect as being any better than the controls for the Adventure games. The issue I have is that while there is a bit of issue keeping Sonic straight in the Adventure games, the drifting that occurs in Colors and Generations is MUCH worse somehow. I mean, seriously, go ahead and try to keep Sonic going straight without using the Boost ability. You'll constantly be slamming into obstacles and side-walls whenever you try to just run through areas. That's why so much of the gameplay is focused on other gimmicks like getting through areas using the homing attack and other skills that modern Sonic has in general, and in Generations Boosting is really prominent because that's usually the only way to keep Sonic on track without having to worry about him veering horribly out of your control.

Again, this problem was already present in the Adventure games to begin with, and I can kind of understand that this is the curse of trying to design a character based on speed in 3D games when his original design was really only meant for 2D games in the first place, but there's no excuse for this problem to be worse in the newer games than it was in the older titles.

Foggle

Man, I just played Sonic Adventure last night. It was the Steam port, which is the exact same thing that was released on the 360/PS3. And I'm not the only one who was there; Insomniac and RacAttack watched me play it on a livestream! Now that I think about it, the unresponsiveness of the control stick could have been due to lag produced by broadcasting the game online, but sometimes Sonic would move in incredibly strange ways. Also, a couple of times the jump button just plain didn't work, though that happens in all platformers (especially 3D ones).

However, as I've said before, I consider camera to be an integral part of what makes or breaks a control scheme, and good god was that camera awful in every level after (but not including) Red Mountain; and until then, it was only serviceable. In fact, I'd say that Sky Deck was even worse than Lost World. Every single death I had in those three levels came from the camera getting stuck in walls and zooming out or in to angles that didn't even make sense. I've never had this problem in Colors, Generations, or even Adventure 2 for that matter - outside of Crazy Gadget.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

**Deletes long ass rant about how obviously right I am and how obviously wrong Foggle is**

For the record, I DID write a long-ass fucking post which I just took down because I then came to the realization that, in the process of writing said rant, I no longer gave a shit about arguing with someone about some old Sonic games....because I have a life. :>

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 18, 2013, 04:02:00 PM
**Deletes long ass rant about how obviously right I am and how obviously wrong Foggle is**

For the record, I DID write a long-ass fucking post which I just took down because I then came to the realization that, in the process of writing said rant, I no longer gave a shit about arguing with someone about some old Sonic games....because I have a life. :>
Welcome to my world, but take away Sonic and replace with gamers in general.