Unpopular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm just surprised that there are people who hate DOOM II.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 05, 2013, 06:00:01 PM
Those people hate fun.

Rynnec

I think Doom's episode 3 was the best part of the game for me, mostly because it felt the most action-focused of all the episodes.

Quote from: Foggle on November 05, 2013, 06:06:15 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 05, 2013, 06:00:01 PM
Those people hate fun.

How can anyone hate the game that gave us the Super Shotgun?

gunswordfist

Looks like I'll have to replay Doom Episode 2 and 3.

Are there people that hate Doom II and like Doom 1 and Duke?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 05, 2013, 09:42:29 PM
Looks like I'll have to replay Doom Episode 2 and 3.

Are there people that hate Doom II and like Doom 1 and Duke?
There was a whole thread dedicated to it on NeoGAF.

Gamers really can hate anything.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Besides neogaf. That doesn't count.

Nel_Annette

Even though I don't think I love Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 as much as the rest of you, with Nintendo's entry into HD gaming I would not be opposed to a Galaxy 3, if just to see how beautiful it would look.

Rynnec

Soul Calibur V, from a purely gameplay perspective, is the best SC since II.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rynnec on April 22, 2014, 01:33:59 AM
Soul Calibur V, from a purely gameplay perspective, is the best SC since II.

How unpopular is that opinion? I wouldn't know as I've never played V. I played III and IV, but no game since II has been enjoyable enough to me.

Spark Of Spirit

III was massively undercooked and IV had crazy balance issues. V being a step up isn't really saying all too much considering the game has less modes than Soul Blade and the original Soul Calibur.

No idea what Namco is doing with this series, but it really deserves better than what it's been given.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, IV was a good game. Not as good as the first two by any stretch, but still an above average fighting game. I also don't get the whole argument of balance issues. Are any of you guys who complain about it even tournament level fighters (as in, where balance issues would actually matter when you're playing at a high level)? And if we're going that route, SC was NEVER a perfectly balanced fighting game series. It wasn't ever really about the hardcore appeal, though. It was always a series that was fun and accessible to almost anyone, which was a huge part of its mainstream appeal over the more technical 3D fighting game franchises like Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

gunswordfist

IV's the one with Yoda, right? Yeah, I have that and I will never notice the balance issues. I'm not a technical player..at all/

Spark Of Spirit

The Star Wars characters were just silly. I didn't care for them either way.

I do mind balance issues when I try to play seriously against friends and have to try twice as hard to win when they use broken characters like Hilda that they would never otherwise use. Sure I can win, but I'd rather play a version where I don't have to work around being gimped to do well. It's why I don't like Melee nearly as much as Talon or Kiddington.

But my biggest problem with the series was how many modes and extras it started with versus how many it has now. There's no question that they're not trying nearly as hard these days with it.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2014, 03:58:34 PM
The Star Wars characters were just silly. I didn't care for them either way.

I do mind balance issues when I try to play seriously against friends and have to try twice as hard to win when they use broken characters like Hilda that they would never otherwise use. Sure I can win, but I'd rather play a version where I don't have to work around being gimped to do well. It's why I don't like Melee nearly as much as Talon or Kiddington.

Basically this.

QuoteBut my biggest problem with the series was how many modes and extras it started with versus how many it has now. There's no question that they're not trying nearly as hard these days with it.

That's because they're trying to appeal to the tournament audience. That's why V was rushed so it could make it into EVO at the cost of leaving single-players cold.

gunswordfist

My only complaint is your couldn't create your own Star Wars character. I could understand not wanting to have a bunch of custom Yoda but they could have at least made Starkiller's style available.