Super Smash Bros.

Started by Spark Of Spirit, April 28, 2012, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 12, 2015, 09:37:23 PM
I'll be worried when Goku is confirmed.

Well, to be fair, the Dragon Ball franchise has in fact had a ton of succesful games on Nintendo consoles since the NES;  more so than a lot of other characters appearing in Smash games. The only real disqualification being that DB did not originate as a videogame series.

That said, I'm personally still offended that Ryu Hayabusa has never once even been considered to be added to the Smash Roster, especially considering how good of a relationship that KoeiTecmo and Nintendo have with each other now. I'm convinced that it's probably never going to happen. Ninja Gaiden has apparently lost all relevance as an established videogame franchise, despite an iconic trilogy of titles on a Nintendo console.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Cartoon X on November 13, 2015, 10:29:41 PM

I personally would not be adverse to a Smash Brothers vs. J-Stars game.
I'd get Killua to murder Waluigi.
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 13, 2015, 10:39:45 PM

Well, to be fair, the Dragon Ball franchise has in fact had a ton of succesful games on Nintendo consoles since the NES;  more so than a lot of other characters appearing in Smash games. The only real disqualification being that DB did not originate as a videogame series.

That said, I'm personally still offended that Ryu Hayabusa has never once even been considered to be added to the Smash Roster, especially considering how good of a relationship that KoeiTecmo and Nintendo have with each other now. I'm convinced that it's probably never going to happen. Ninja Gaiden has apparently lost all relevance as an established videogame franchise, despite an iconic trilogy of titles on a Nintendo console.
Simon, Ryu and maybe Sparkster are pretty much the last iconic NES/SNES era stars that have not made it into a Smash game yet, afaik. They shou..dammit, just remembered that Konami owns both Simon and Sparkster. This is looking bleak. :cry:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Moment of silence for the sad little people that were so sure a complete nobody like Shovel Knight had a chance to get into the game.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on November 15, 2015, 03:38:09 PM
Moment of silence for the sad little people that were so sure a complete nobody like Shovel Knight had a chance to get into the game.

B-but... there's always the Smash Ballot, right guys? Guys? GUYS? :^)

But in all seriousness, I still think Cloud isn't the result of the Smash Ballot if only because of how long it takes the crew to work on a fighter and Cloud did look pretty complete from the trailer. I don't doubt he was a popular choice, but I don't think he was the result of that since there is probably things like a licensing deal, clearing to get the VA to do some lines, and all that other stuff. But even at this point, I think Jibanyan probably has a better chance at getting in over Shovel Knight, if only because I suspect that Japanese kiddies flooded the Smash Ballot for that little dead kitty. Well, either that or Komasan since he is pretty popular with little kids.

Spark Of Spirit

Cloud wasn't the Smash Ballot character. Characters take too long to make for it to be him. Not to mention they would have said he was the Smash Ballot character when they revealed him. And let's be honest, he wasn't at the top of any poll by a long shot.  In fact, I bet Wolf and Ice Climbers will be released with him as the final pack of "planned" DLC like Roy and Lucas were with Ryu.

As for the Shovel Knight thing, of course he had no chance. No idea why that was even a rumor. It's the new Ridley.

I still think K. Rool is at the top of the Smash Ballot. I have a hard time thinking of a Nintendo character that would have even close to as many votes as him. Not to mention that Donkey Kong got hosed on representation over the Smash series and deserves a new character or two without question. If not him then Dixie would be alright, but a DK character deserves it more than any other series. And they have been polling well. Especially K. Rool.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on November 15, 2015, 03:38:09 PM

I can't believe people even wanted Shovel Knight. I can think of at least 20 other characters I'd rather see....including Goku.  :drool:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 16, 2015, 08:19:21 AM
In fact, I bet Wolf and Ice Climbers will be released with him as the final pack of "planned" DLC like Roy and Lucas were with Ryu.

:worship:

I just wish they'd say fuck it when comes to the 3DS limitations and give us Ice Climbers anyway. They've been around since Melee, and Smash U is the definitive smash experience except for the omission of Nana and Popo. I don't care what anyone says, if they get phased out of this entirely it'll go down as a major oversight on an otherwise fantastic game.

Spark Of Spirit

The FINAL Smash Bros. Live presentation is on the 15th.

I think this is a clue that the final batches of DLC will be announced then. And what's really left to announce?

Off the top of my head on a total guess, I'm going to say that this will include Cloud as well as the final returning veterans, which would be Wolf and possibly Ice Climbers should they have fixed the issues on the 3DS for them. A handful of stages are probably coming with them, too. Then the Smash ballot character will be revealed and probably released some time next year with some final content as well. After that, I'm sure that will be it for Smash Bros. content and we will go back to waiting for the next game.

In summation, I'm expecting this:

December 15th
Cloud (with Midgar stage)
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Costume packs including Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest material
Returning stage (probably from Melee) such as Pokemon Stadium 1
Returning stage (probably from Melee) such as Big Blue
3DS stage for Wii U and vice versa such as Magicant (Onett for 3DS)

Early 2016
Smash Ballot character (with accompanying stage)
(Possibly) second and third place character
Costume packs including more SE franchises
Returning stage (probably from Melee) such as Rainbow Cruise
Returning stage (probably from Melee) such as Fountain of Dreams
3DS stage for Wii U and vice versa such as Mute City (Yoshi's Island Melee for 3DS)

And I'm going to guess that's it. And I'm perfectly okay with that. It's already the best Smash game yet and with this content, it will take a long time for any other Smash game to come close to it again.

I just hope I'm not being too optimistic.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Bayonetta is the ballot winner despite not winning the ballot. New Fire Emblem character, DK still overlooked.

Meh, not much of a big bang of a final direct.

Foggle

Super glad it's Bayonetta! This could give Platinum a big boost in popularity! :joy:

Rynnec

I'm salty about no Wolf, but at least the 3 newcomers look cool.

Spark Of Spirit

To be honest I'm more disappointed that there were no returning stages or characters announced than anything else. But the game already has a good stage roster, so it's hard to be too upset about that aspect. It's just that there was only really one new stage announced, and it doesn't really do it for me. A returning stage or two would have been cool.

Korrin as a new character was kind of lame, though, since DK (the series that built Nintendo) is still stopped at 2 reps when it is fairly obvious K. Rool and Dixie were high in the polls worldwide. I also know some Wolf mains that will be pointlessly disappointed that he didn't return. Ice Climbers are understandable, but the loss of Wolf when he has a new game coming out (that Nintendo should be hyping people up for) is fairly disappointing.

Smash 4 is a fantastic game, and the best Smash game, and I appreciate everything Sakurai has done with the game, but this wasn't the big finale direct the game deserved to go out on. They might as well just shown this all with Cloud during the last direct. All in all, decent direct to close off an excellent game.

gunswordfist

Wait, did I read this right? Bayonetta will be in the game? :wth:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 15, 2015, 05:33:12 PM
Wait, did I read this right? Bayonetta will be in the game? :wth:
Yes, she was apparently the #1 voted character in Europe and the "most realizable" character in the top 5 of the NA poll, apparently. I would really like to know what characters he passed over.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 15, 2015, 05:37:16 PM
Yes, she was apparently the #1 voted character in Europe and the "most realizable" character in the top 5 of the NA poll, apparently. I would really like to know what characters he passed over.
Goku, Wolf, Geno, Neo Dark Pit, Lanky Kong

Foggle

For real, though, if Bayonetta was the "most realizable character," #1 overall was probably either Banjo, Snake, or, yes, Goku.