E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) 2012

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 04, 2012, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

So Sony apparently has no surprises or new game announcements.

They've announced nothing new so far.

They haven't addressed the Vita problem.

And they're basically not telling us anything we didn't already know.

Short of a new Naughty Dog or Insomniac game, this is a bust.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

And we leave off with GoW... Which graphically looks worse than 3 by a considerable amount, Weird.

Also the Last Of Us... Which if I cared about zombie games I might be into. Edit: Oh, it's a generic shooter. *COUGH*

Okay, that wasn't the worst conference (Microsoft), but it sure wasn't very good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't see why you're singling out Microsoft. I thought it was every bit as bad as that one. I didn't like either one, though at least Microsoft had RE6 in it which is one game I'm excited for, even though I don't like how the demo was more of a trailer than an actual demo.

I'm just praying that Nintendo puts some excitement into this year's E3.

Spark Of Spirit

They were all pretty terrible as a whole, but Ubisoft had Rayman at the very least. I'm not big on movie games, sports games, or apps, so nothing else really clicked with me. Unfortunately, Nintendo has a new system coming out and a bunch of conferences. Nobody did anything to try and steal their thunder at all.

Microsoft and Sony just handed 2012 and most of 2013 (until at least the holidays) to the Wii-U to gain steam.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

So it looks like Ubisoft had the best conference today. Never thought I'd see the day.

Too bad Konami couldn't afford a proper conference this year. Thew world needs more Tak Fuji.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Did you not see all those cutscenes? But I digress, I could have just said FPS and TPS games, would that be better?

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 04, 2012, 09:41:11 PM
So it looks like Ubisoft had the best conference today. Never thought I'd see the day.

Too bad Konami couldn't afford a proper conference this year. Thew world needs more Tak Fuji.
Thoughts on how you like your girl wood?

Daxdiv

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2012, 09:46:29 PM
Did you not see all those cutscenes? But I digress, I could have just said FPS and TPS games, would that be better?

Well, I haven't seen the Far Cry 3 demo myself, but honestly I should clarify that I don't count lots of cut-scenes as making a game into a movie game. Its when they try to make the gameplay feel like glorified cut-scenes as well that turns a game into a movie game. Non-interactive cut-scenes that only serve to further the game's story can always be ignored. I just hate it when they take control out of the player's hands in the game itself. That said, I have no idea what Far Cry 3's gameplay looks like

I will say that I'm not as against FPS and TPS games as most people on this board are by now, though. I'm just against how so many of them are turning into movie-games, which I flat-out don't care for. I love a good FPS or TPS that gives the player complete control and have excellent combat, AI, and strategy elements. I like them as much as any great platformer or adventure game. They take just as much creativity and talent to make, but its because they actually require effort that they are sadly all but dead at this point in this generation.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2012, 09:46:29 PMThoughts on how you like your girl wood?

Don't remind me, Ubisoft always has horrible presenters. I got pretty butthurt when those 2 played up the FPS only casual stereotype too.

Rayman Legends looks spectacular. If there's no WiiU launch Mario game, I'm definitely going for that one instead. Not a big fan of Assasin's Creed, but I did like the new environment its in now. Watch Dogs looks promising, but it also seems like one of those innovative games that fails to deliver so I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic. Splinter Cell looked completely average, and I'm blanking on the rest besides the extremely forgettable E-sports game.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still disappointed they changed Killer Freaks into that. It feels like canceling Duke Nukem 3D for Dead Island.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 04, 2012, 09:54:43 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2012, 09:46:29 PM

Well, I haven't seen the Far Cry 3 demo myself, but honestly I should clarify that I don't count lots of cut-scenes as making a game into a movie game. Its when they try to make the gameplay feel like glorified cut-scenes as well that turns a game into a movie game. Non-interactive cut-scenes that only serve to further the game's story can always be ignored. I just hate it when they take control out of the player's hands in the game itself. That said, I have no idea what Far Cry 3's gameplay looks like

I will say that I'm not as against FPS and TPS games as most people on this board are by now, though. I'm just against how so many of them are turning into movie-games, which I flat-out don't care for. I love a good FPS or TPS that gives the player complete control and have excellent combat, AI, and strategy elements. I like them as much as any great platformer or adventure game. They take just as much creativity and talent to make, but its because they actually require effort that they are sadly all but dead at this point in this generation.
I'm just tired of every game being a movie style game or a shooter. One platformer was shown at all 4 conferences, and it's somehow exclusive to Nintendo and one racing game with a teaser for another. Other than social games and apps, we had basically scripted movie sequence after scripted movie sequence.

At this point, I don't want to see a shooter unless it's either wide open levels, has tons of options and weapons (IE, not 2), or is
not a military/criminal/sci-fi movie with the same B-movie plot every other game has. FarCry 3 might be legitimately great, but those cutscenes and story made me cringe and the shooting looked pretty soft and not very focused.

But then again, it is the end of the generation. This E3 seemed to be everyone's last gasp to get people interested in the same stuff. If this happens next year with the PS4 and 720, then that will be something to worry about.

Foggle

I haven't seen E3's gameplay from FC 3. But the stuff that was released earlier was awesome. It looks like it has Deus Ex-style open-ended levels on a tropical island without the lame sci-fi shit from the first Far Cry or open-world malaria-infected Africa BS from the second.

Foggle

Catching up with E3 stuff.

Watch Dogs sounds really cool. Will have to keep my eye on that one.

Beyond looks fucking terrible. All the worst things about Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy rolled up into a ball and tossed to Ellen Page? Fuck no. FUUUUUUCK NOOOOOOOO.

Spark Of Spirit

Tomorrow should be way better. Nintendo has the first of their 3 (or is it 4?) conferences, and the show floor is opening. We should be getting good info from the other non-shooter/movie devs.

Quote from: Foggle on June 04, 2012, 08:39:50 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 04, 2012, 08:20:34 PM
Heavy Rain + Ellen Page = Beyond

...yay.
Quote from: gunswordfist on June 04, 2012, 08:23:53 PM
I'm sure Foggle would love the Beyond presentation.
Oh lord. Please elaborate further. :whuh:
Press X To Ellen Page

Foggle

There's going to be more RE 6 footage, too. Hopefully the next clips will be better.

I really want to see some gameplay from Dishonored. Easily my most anticipated original title of the year. Oh, and Thief 4!