What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Two annoyances so far, and one mainly centers around the camera sometimes zooming too far out in boss battles. The second boss takes place as you stand on one huge platform (and you're tiny) and he electrifies certain spots which are hard to gauge when you have to pay attention to the huge moving boss and the tiny spots on the ground that can knock a combo out of you. The bosses are still the hardest part of the game, but I think the smaller distractions could have been cut out and the challenge would still be there.

The other would be the Operation 4 boss has like 5 attacks that are unavoidable but it is unclear which unite form you need to use to block them other than the easy one. Sort of like how sometimes you have to guard things that have health bars and by the time you figure out the pattern of attack, you lose and have to continue and lose a ton of points.

Other than those two points, it's pretty great. Hammer is my current favorite for power hits, but the speed of Claw is brutal and can sometimes stun-lock otherwise annoying enemies into submission. Honestly, I don't have much use for Bomb in battle, though. It doesn't damage much and slows enemies, but since you can't really hurt enemies while they're slow it makes no difference if you switch weapons. The combat in the game is always fun and intense, and even on normal it hasn't annoyed me much (outside of some brutal bosses) other than not seeing an obvious object or two I need to hit to progress. Again, keep in mind that I'm awful at these games. So he has to be doing something right for me to not be getting frustrated with it.

The story is wacky Saturday Morning cartoon and it's perfect in that aspect. It's gotta be the funniest game since Kid Icarus Uprising or Deadly Premonition. In that it's intentionally funny and has a lot of great character moments. I have no idea where it's going, but it still remains entertaining.

I really think Nintendo should get Kamiya on Star Fox after playing this. There's no doubt that he could give it a shot in the arm, and with a fresh push I think more people would pay attention to the series again.

Either that or Wonderful 102. No idea how they would do that differently, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I was playing Sonic 1 today, and even though I still love it, I do have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the 3-act structure. Although  some levels pull it off better than others, it's still a bit of a drag to go through that many for most of the time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I can see that, it gets kind of tiring by the third act. The two-act structure was better since they made the levels longer and made the zones tighter as a result.

It's one of my favorite Sonic games but I can't say I don't sigh when I see the Labyrinth Zone Act 3 title screen pop up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

That always made it a bit tough for me to get through Sonic 1 from start to finish, despite how good it is, and how it's not that hard.

Foggle

There will probably not be a Wonderful 102 since Kamiya doesn't like doing sequels. He's not working on Bayonetta 2, and from what I hear, it mostly consists of ideas they had for the first game but were not able to execute properly until now due to budget/time/talent/hardware/whatever. Viewtiful Joe 2 was the same idea, and while he technically worked on that one, all he apparently did was write the story for it.

Spark Of Spirit

:(

I thought he said he wanted to work on a sequel to one of his games recently. Bayonetta 2 obviously wasn't happening because he was working on Project P-100 at the time, but I'm not sure why he didn't work on Viewtiful Joe 2 as director since I don't think he wasn't doing anything at the time. I can't be sure, thought.

Foggle

I'm not saying he won't make W102 (hell, P* might even do it without him), I'm just saying that Kamiya has talked about how he isn't a fan of sequels unless he and his team have a lot of unused or new ideas. The man's an auteur - no two of his personally directed games play alike. (You can't really argue DMC/Bayo, since the original Devil May Cry was more of a 3D Castlevania than a crazy action game.)

Nel_Annette

Labyrinth Zone Act Anything is what keeps me from playing Sonic 1.  :lol: It's my favorite game franchise but still, fuck those levels. Hate'em.

Foggle

Try playing Labyrinth Zone on the awful GBA port. Speaking of that GBA port... I played it all the way through. This happens in Star Light Zone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY87e2wwfz0

They really did not playtest it at all.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on September 23, 2013, 12:58:55 AM
Try playing Labyrinth Zone on the awful GBA port. Speaking of that GBA port... I played it all the way through.

...Masochist.  :whuh:

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 23, 2013, 12:58:55 AM
Try playing Labyrinth Zone on the awful GBA port. Speaking of that GBA port... I played it all the way through.

Stopped reading your post here. I'm ashamed of you.

Spark Of Spirit

And I have to struggle to get him to play Wario Land Shake It.

Unbelievable.  :whuh:

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 23, 2013, 04:17:13 PM
And I have to struggle to get him to play Wario Land Shake It.

Unbelievable.  :whuh:
You really think I'd pay money for Sonic Genesis?

talonmalon333

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In regard to the Kamiya not doing sequels thing, to be fair, the sequel can still be great even without his input. I think that DMC3 is a prime example of this (even if it's technically a prequel).