Nostalgia

Started by Avaitor, December 30, 2010, 01:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Really the only thing that makes me feel old is the fact that I got my driver's license nearly a decade ago.  It sure doesn't seem like it's that long, but it has.

And the fact that six years ago this past June I graduated high school.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 03, 2012, 07:38:45 PM
I'm not really big on twenty and thirty-year-olds pretending like they're having some kind of middle-aged crisis.

You're still young, you're not even finished developing yet.

Oh heavens no. Didn't mean to imply that I'm turning into one of those kind of people. :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on August 03, 2012, 07:54:26 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 03, 2012, 07:38:45 PM
I'm not really big on twenty and thirty-year-olds pretending like they're having some kind of middle-aged crisis.

You're still young, you're not even finished developing yet.

Oh heavens no. Didn't mean to imply that I'm turning into one of those kind of people. :sweat:
I wasn't referring to you of course, just those types of sheets.

I mean, someone tells me something like Raven ended five years ago and my reaction is usually "it feels like its been that long, yeah."
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Comeau on August 03, 2012, 07:45:10 PM
Really the only thing that makes me feel old is the fact that I got my driver's license nearly a decade ago.  It sure doesn't seem like it's that long, but it has.

And the fact that six years ago this past June I graduated high school.

Let's see, most people graduate high school at age 18. You say this was 6 years ago... But you also say you got your license a decade ago. This would mean, when you got it, you were... 14?

:huh:

Commode

Almost a decade ago.  Key wordage.  I got my license at 15, because the state of Idaho lets you do that.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

What makes me old is how little most of this actually means to me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I'll start feeling old when Pokemon hits its 50th anniversary.

Avaitor

What makes me feel old is knowing that Tommy Pickles was able to get legally shitfaced last year and that a fairly big part  of the Sonic fandom hasn't played any of the original games on the Genesis without an emulator or something.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on August 03, 2012, 10:02:19 PM
What makes me feel old is knowing that Tommy Pickles was able to get legally shitfaced last year and that a fairly big part  of the Sonic fandom hasn't played any of the original games on the Genesis without an emulator or something.
The kids who started with Sonic Adventure 2 on the Gamecube are the weirdest. Like I can't imagine growing up with Sonic during that period and sticking around not knowing about the classics.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 03, 2012, 10:07:41 PM
The kids who started with Sonic Adventure 2 on the Gamecube are the weirdest. Like I can't imagine growing up with Sonic during that period and sticking around not knowing about the classics.

Speaking as someone who's first real Sonic game was SA2:B, I completely agree with you. Especially since Sonic Mega Collection came out barely a year afterwords. What's even weirder are kids who started with Sonic Heroes and/or Sonic X. I knew two of them in highschool, neither of them played the classics far as I could tell, hell, they didn't even play any of the Adventure games! It was very...odd talking to them about Sonic-related things, to say the least.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on August 03, 2012, 10:14:28 PM

Speaking as someone who's first real Sonic game was SA2:B, I completely agree with you. Especially since Sonic Mega Collection came out barely a year afterwords. What's even weirder are kids who started with Sonic Heroes and/or Sonic X. I knew two of them in highschool, neither of them played the classics far as I could tell, hell, they didn't even play any of the Adventure games! It was very...odd talking to them about Sonic-related things, to say the least.
Even weirdest are the kids who started with Sonic 06 and thinks it's great!

Can't wrap my head around that at all!

Avaitor

Eh, I guess that it's kind of like how your favorite Bond is the first one you see. Except it's hard as fuck to believe that someone would consider Pierce Brosnan to Connery or even Daniel Craig, just like it's hard to believe that Sonic 06 could be someone's favorite.

New blog!

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 03, 2012, 10:23:59 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on August 03, 2012, 10:14:28 PM

Even weirdest are the kids who started with Sonic 06 and thinks it's great!

Can't wrap my head around that at all!

One of those kids I mentioned actually fell into that group as well! :D

After seeing his Let's Play of the game, it was pretty obvious to me that he only likes it because it has Sonic characters in it, rather than it actually being good. Come to think of it, that's probably the reason a lot of kids like Sonic 06: Brand Recognition.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I'll start feeling old when the kids around me are wire tapped directly into a cloud server and when fuel stations no longer offer petroleum gas.

Foggle

The kids who started with Sonic Adventure 2 on the Gamecube are the weirdest.
You mean me? :P

But to be fair, I bought Mega Collection as soon as it came out and loved it far more than the Adventure games. And I've played 2 a few times on an actual Genesis.