Nostalgia

Started by Avaitor, December 30, 2010, 01:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 12, 2012, 01:13:50 AM
I thought the Pokemon movies got better. I watched the second and third and wondered why the first was so much more boring than it.
The first Pokemon movie was great.....until the punkass "It's painful to watch Pokemon fight like this" punkass part. I can't get into any of the later movies. The format seems to always be :
Ash kicks ass  od random "I'm here to battle you." trainer at some picnic he's at with friends

Ash meets people who know something about superpowerful Pokemon.

Ash either gawks or runs from said powerful Pokemon after talking them. Pikachu attacks, fails to get past their shield, then is confirmed as useless and runs away.

Some other powerful Pokemon or some magic shit beats/traps the Pokemon for them.

Ash, Brock, whatshername and Pikachu go on their merry way.

At least Ash and his Pokemon being useless against Mewtwo would have been cool because it was rare back then because:
1. Ash doesn't have the bad track record he does today
2. Mewtwo was a confirmed badass and easily beat Gary's Pokemon all at the same time.
What more can you ask for? Sorry, I just hate what went wrong with the first film. Ugh..., just remembered the memory erase part at the end. UGH!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2012, 12:23:54 PMI guess that it just didn't feel like it was that big of an event compared to most regular arcs in the show. It just seemed to be on a bit of a larger scale and with an obviously bigger animation budget. The 2nd movie which I saw only when it aired on CN seemed much grander in scope and something that was too big for the TV series, so I think that it was at least more fitting for a movie scenario.

Well the first one still has big things like death, Mewtwo wanting to take over the world, and Ash "dying" and being revived (which gets a little too much heat, the Pokemon saving him with their tears, as there's a deleted scene that goes into detail about that). It should at least feel slightly bigger than the regular show stuff. :P

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 12, 2012, 01:21:55 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2012, 12:23:54 PMI guess that it just didn't feel like it was that big of an event compared to most regular arcs in the show. It just seemed to be on a bit of a larger scale and with an obviously bigger animation budget. The 2nd movie which I saw only when it aired on CN seemed much grander in scope and something that was too big for the TV series, so I think that it was at least more fitting for a movie scenario.

Well the first one still has big things like death, Mewtwo wanting to take over the world, and Ash "dying" and being revived (which gets a little too much heat, the Pokemon saving him with their tears, as there's a deleted scene that goes into detail about that). It should at least feel slightly bigger than the regular show stuff. :P
Thanks man. *goes to youtube*
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 12, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
I know he absolutely hated Pokemon and would jokingly complain about it in the car.

I can totally relate to that. I really have to appreciate my dad for putting up with the movie even though I know that to him it must have seemed weird as hell, and it was probably really boring for him to sit through. But he took my brother and I because he knew that we were really into it at the time, despite the fact that it meant that he'd have to sit with us through 90 minutes of stuff that he considered absolute crap.

QuoteI always thought Digimon (the TV show) was exceedingly lame, but my friend showed me the movie at his house one time and I thought it was awesome. The games were pretty cool from what I played, too.

I used to think that Digimon was a lame Pokemon rip-off, until my brother started watching the show and then I started watching it myself as well. After that I thought it was like a much better-written version of Pokemon, though when I think of the dub I do think its at least partially lame, but I still have nostalgic love for it so I'd still watch the dub for the TV series. That said the dub for the movie went way too over-board.

Anyways, when I was a kid this was my favorite part in the Digimon movie. But just for comparison's sake, here is how it was done in the Japanese version, and as you can see its much more effective without any dialogue and lame-pop songs at all (though admittedly I used to think those were cool....but give me a break, I was only about 11 at the time, I didn't know any better).

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2012, 01:59:10 PM
Anyways, when I was a kid this was my favorite part in the Digimon movie. But just for comparison's sake, here is how it was done in the Japanese version, and as you can see its much more effective without any dialogue and lame-pop songs at all (though admittedly I used to think those were cool....but give me a break, I was only about 11 at the time, I didn't know any better).
Holy Christ the English voice acting and script are cheesy! And those pop songs... lol! Remember this?

Spark Of Spirit

But it did have One Week, The Impression That I Get, and All My Best Friends Are Metalheads which are actually great songs. So it kind of balances out a bit with how the music was used.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2012, 01:59:10 PM

I don't know, I watched both those clips and they accomplished the exact same thing, but approached it differently, and I like that. The japanese version sounds more dramatic and serious with that choice of ambiance they used, but the american dub added a little more attitude to reflect the power of youth its using. I respect your choice, but I don't feel like one is inferior to the other since they both seem like an excellent moment to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I do still like that scene in the dub in a very nostalgic sort of way, but I guess I just personally found the scene to be more effective in Japanese, myself. Either way, though, I think its the best scene in either version of the movie. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

I really like where they used the Impression That I Get after the bomb hits the water. It's a perfect song choice for the scene, really.

I don't think anyone's going to argue that as a whole the Japanese version is better, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, that song and its placement at the end of the Our War Game segment of the movie never bothered me. I just mostly felt that it was really not necessary to put it in the cyber-space scenes in which Metal Garurumon and War Greymon were fighting Diaboromon, and especially not during the part where they fuse into Omnimon (I also didn't quite care for the addition of having Omnimon yell out attack names in the dub, though to be fair that's just nitpicking on my part).

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Geezer

Forget Pokemon or Digimon, Monster Rancher was that real shit, sons...

Avaitor

Anyone remember this?

I never actually liked mac & cheese, but I remember Kraft's commercials a lot. The Rugrats one also comes to mind.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

Found this on Facebook:

This really did hit me, despite all the errors (Raven ended 5 years ago, and I believe it still airs on Disney on occasions, Lizzie McGuire ended 8 years ago, and KP's last episode was 5 years ago).

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not really big on twenty and thirty-year-olds pretending like they're having some kind of middle-aged crisis.

You're still young, you're not even finished developing yet.