Video Game Music

Started by talonmalon333, December 31, 2010, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Well, that should be easy. But I'll have to count out the Smash bros series, because that would clutter everything up badly. But as for soundtracks filled with my favorite themes:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - My all time favorite platformer soundtrack. It has a wide scope of musical range and yet still manages to stay perfectly Sonic.
Double Dragon II - Every time I play this game, the soundtrack gets stuck in my brain as I cream thugs and hop chasms.
Mega Man X - This is the perfect soundtrack for an action game. Seriously, use custom soundtracks while playing anything with action in it, guarantee this will sink up perfectly.
Rival Schools: United By Fate - So good that Capcom apparently doesn't even own it somehow!
Donkey Kong Country 2 - David Wise is the man. (This theme should be in Smash)
Kirby Superstar - Pretty much EVERY great Kirby track is in here. (Also should be in Smash)
Jet Set Radio - It'll blow your ass off.
Live A Live - For a SNES game, the sound scope is insane. Sci-Fi, fantasy, traditional Japanese, western, medieval, and 80s pop. By far the best RPG soundtrack on a whole, IMO.
Yoshi's Island - Of course.
Streets Of Rage (Anything not 3) - I can't pick one.
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Just listen to the video.

As a bonus, this is my all time favorite RPG theme... Easily the best I've ever heard.

Yeah, that's eleven, but I don't care. I still couldn't fit Mother 3, Sonic Colors, Godhand, or tons of others in despite all that. That's how awesome those are.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on August 14, 2011, 10:10:02 PM
Howzabout everyone lists their favorite soundtracks instead of just songs?

My top 5 (in no particular order):
God Hand
Mega Man X
MadWorld
Streets of Rage Remake (the remixes featured here are mind-blowingly awesome... if this is considered cheating, then Streets of Rage 2)
Tekken 3
Heh, I listened to Streets Of Rage remake music all day yesterday. I prefer the originals except for one theme that played during an Adam video. Hell, that's why I kept listening to them. I need to find that video. Oh and the regular boss music. Much better

Soundtracks: (in no order)
Streets Of Rage
Sonic 2
Mega Man 2
Devil May Cry
Contra Hard Corps ()

And:
Einhander
Astro Boy Omega Factor
MGS4
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Let's see if I can narrow this down:

Blazblue/Guilty Gear
Sonic The Hedgehog (series)
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack!
Megaman (entire franchise)
Mario (entire franchise)

Honorable mentions go to The Legend of Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Metroid, and Persona 4.

Obviously this is not counting games where I've heard the music, but haven't actually played the game.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 14, 2011, 10:51:16 PM
Quote from: Foggle on August 14, 2011, 10:10:02 PM
Howzabout everyone lists their favorite soundtracks instead of just songs?

My top 5 (in no particular order):
God Hand
Mega Man X
MadWorld
Streets of Rage Remake (the remixes featured here are mind-blowingly awesome... if this is considered cheating, then Streets of Rage 2)
Tekken 3
Heh, I listened to Streets Of Rage remake music all day yesterday. I prefer the originals except for one theme that played during an Adam video. Hell, that's why I kept listening to them. I need to find that video. Oh and the regular boss music. Much better

FOUND IT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2pscJY3Wkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9BbntHifk&feature=related Homeboy who gave me the link to the game was the one who uploaded the gameplay video. I feel stupid searching for it all day and not remembering that.

Kiddington

New Super Mario Bros. DS -- Overworld

So I finally got around to adding the little Mario soundtrack CD (the one that came bundled with the 25th anniversary edition of All-Stars) to my mp3 player the other day, and I was surprised how great this sounds with headphones on. Makes me kinda appreciate what this game has to offer in terms of music. I've already declared my love for the kickass desert theme in the past, but there are some other pretty good tracks here as well (that I never quite gave the time of day to before).

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, NSMB has some good music. I really enjoy the Castle theme.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Since I've been playing a lot of Hard Corps Uprising, I'd have to list Stage 4 - Capital Highway as being my favorite non-remixed theme in the game. It nails everything right about Contra, the epic battles, the frantic pace, and it basically sounds like a chiptune played with "real" instruments like all great modern videogame music should.

Foggle

I love this fucking track, goddamn. I wish Sega would release Kurohyou in the west... easily one of the best games on the PSP.

Spark Of Spirit

Instead we're getting Dead Souls. The one Yakuza game I wanted nothing to do with. :p

On another note, I was playing the Game Boy version of Duck Tales (which is actually surprisingly good) and remembered that the soundtrack as a whole is pretty underrated next to the Moon theme.

We got some cool themes for the African Mines, the Himalayas and the Amazon (which is probably a theme that could probably be in the show itself)... Just great stuff. The Game Boy's versions are a little rougher, but they're still ace tunes.

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on October 07, 2011, 12:34:17 PM
Instead we're getting Dead Souls. The one Yakuza game I wanted nothing to do with. :p
Did you play the Japanese demo? While I would have preferred Kenzan or Kurohyou, Dead Souls is both awesome and fun.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on October 06, 2011, 11:56:25 PM
I love this fucking track, goddamn. I wish Sega would release Kurohyou in the west... easily one of the best games on the PSP.
Very nice.

talonmalon333

I have a comparison to make in honor of Halloween. :P

Desensitized, you're the David Wise fan, right? And you've played DKC3 with it's vastly superior GBA soundtrack?

Have you ever heard this song, "Werewolves of London"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRu8N2K0NY&feature=player_embedded#!

Doesn't "Rockface Rumble" from DKC3 sound a lot like that? Listen to it from 0:51 to 1:09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtzMF8cMKVE&feature=player_embedded#!

Spark Of Spirit

While Sonic Generations is full of remixes and classic tunes, I have to say my favorite by far was this one.

It makes me want Stardust Speedway to appear as DLC just so I can hear the music in a full on level instead of a boss. Oh yeah, and I love how the cutscene before the boss is timed so that the actual boss begins when the intro ends. Great stuff.