Video Game Music

Started by talonmalon333, December 31, 2010, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Thinking about, the best songs in the DKC series are Stickerbrush Symphony, Forest Interlude, Jib Jig, Aquatic Ambiance, and Fear Factory.

Also, I recently played DKC3 for the GBA. Someone here once stated that it's music is MUCH better then the SNES version's and I WHOLLY agree. I especially love Water World in it. It's actually on par with the original version from the first game.

The SNES version also has a good Water World, but not on the same level.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 19, 2011, 11:07:12 PM
Thinking about, the best songs in the DKC series are Stickerbrush Symphony, Forest Interlude, Jib Jig, Aquatic Ambiance, and Fear Factory.

Also, I recently played DKC3 for the GBA. Someone here once stated that it's music is MUCH better then the SNES version's and I WHOLLY agree. I especially love Water World in it. It's actually on par with the original version from the first game.

The SNES version also has a good Water World, but not on the same level.
It was Desen. I can't get that guy to shut up about that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 19, 2011, 11:49:46 PMIt was Desen. I can't get that guy to shut up about that.

Well no one listens to you. He's most certainly right! :P

My only problem is the GBA version doesn't have it's own final boss theme. But I LOVE it's Stilt Village, and the snow song is also good.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the GBA soundtrack is by David Wise, the dude behind DKC2 and most of 1. But I do agree about the lack of final boss music, that was disappointing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on May 20, 2011, 05:58:15 AM
Yeah, the GBA soundtrack is by David Wise, the dude behind DKC2 and most of 1. But I do agree about the lack of final boss music, that was disappointing.

I will say this. It's not on the level of the soundtracks from 1 and 2, but it's still great! :)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on May 20, 2011, 05:58:15 AM
God, here he goes again!  :D

Spark Of Spirit

I can't help it. David Wise is one of my favorite VG composers.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Moving off from that, I think I'd like to list and explain my choices for my top 5 VG composers:

David Wise

Wise's career went back to the early NES days where he specialized in taking the atmosphere of a level of a game and putting it to music, making you even more engrossed by what was happening. He was the perfect fit for a studio like Rare that had such a high importance on atmosphere. The man is criminally underused nowadays, and the fact that Nintendo did NOT hire him to do the DKCR music is probably the biggest fault with the game from an aesthetic POV. Listen to any of his tracks and you'll be whisked away to the world he envisioned with these pieces. Easily one of the best VG composers ever.

Highlights:

Hot Head Bop (or any song from this game)
Stage 3
Pirate Lagoon

Yuzo Koshiro

I don't really know what to say about this guy except that he is a great songwriter. His main style seems to be taking the explosiveness of 80s pop music, and the seedier edge of 90s underground (sometimes even before the 90s!) and making anthems that will get you moving. Few artists are as natural sounding, yet have an unexpected touch to them like Koshiro's work does, and that's why he's so good. Another composer that is criminally underused these days, get this man behind the mixing boards and keep him there.

Highlights:

Go Straight (You didn't see this one coming?)
First Step Towards War
Blue Blue Moon

Hideki Naganuma

Insanity. Naganuma is well knows for his "everything but the sink" style of songwriting which makes him very much a polarizing figure. I'll admit, sometimes his songs have a bit too much going on at once, but for those who can pay attention, your ears will thank you... before they orgasm into themselves. This is frequently dense music, but still manages to remain as simple as all great pop music in the end, every cacophonous noise plays a part in bringing the sound together. This music is best played over something that requires a lot of speed and style, so naturally he has composed for both Jet Set Radio and Sonic. He also does medleys, which is always awesome.

Highlights:

Ethno Circus
Funk To The Top
Rock It On

Yoko Shimomura

THE RPG composer as far as I'm concerned. While most RPG music bounces from symphonic generics or medieval ambiance, she is able to delve into any style and add emotional punch or uplifting feeling into it. Not confined because of her genre of choice (she has composed for Street Fighter II and Final Fight, by the way), more composers (especially modern composers and their boring movie score aping filth) could take lessons from her in how to truly craft a setting, emotion, and atmosphere. The Live A Live soundtrack alone is exceptional and not only spans many styles of music (it has western AND mecha anime themes!) but the quality remains high throughout. Now stretch this out over a career, and you have one of the best VG composers. Here are some examples of that:

Psycho Killing
Urban Noise
Mario & Luigi 3 Battle Theme

Koji Kondo

Nothing else to say.

What are some your favorites?

gunswordfist

All I got is Yuzo Koshiro. I need to up my video game composer IQ.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Three words.

Half Minute Hero

Can't wait for the XBLA version this week.

Spark Of Spirit

Kiddington

Couple of my favorites from DKC3:

Treetop Tumble
Water World

Eveline Fischer is no David Wise, but I disagree with the notion that the GBA port had "substantially" better music. In my personal opinion, I think she did a great job here. Even though they aren't from Wise (who's become synonymous with DKC), I still love the tracks in this one; they really fit the creepy, almost darker atmosphere that this game presents (in comparison to the previous DKC titles).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Treetop Tumble is one of my absolute favorite pieces of video game music ever. Dark, haunting, and totally befitting of the stages that you hear it in. Ripsaw Rage just wasn't the same in the GBA port; Wise's cheerful rendition is a good track on its own, but IMO, simply does not belong in a level of this ilk. The original track fits the dark ambiance perfectly.

Eddy

Yoko Shinomura is definitely one of my favorite composers. Every game she does has an amazing soundtrack.

And the final boss theme from Bowser's Inside Story is one of the most epic final boss themes I've ever heard in a game.

Kiddington

...speaking of DKC, I'd say it's time for some more David Wise love. Desen should appreciate. Didn't mention this in my last post because that was about 3, but I digress.

Anyway...

Forest Interlude
Welcome to Crocodile Isle/Map Theme

Hot Head Bop was already posted, so I'll forgo that, but yeah, it's another good one. Really, you could pick just about any track from this game to make a point. Even the best VGM soundtracks have a dud or two along the way, but not DKC2. IMO, the music in this game is quite simply perfect.