Video Game Music

Started by talonmalon333, December 31, 2010, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Moonlit Grotto

One of my favorite dungeon theme's from Oracle of Ages. Keep in mind, though; this is the same soundtrack that gave us that piece they used in the Crown Dungeon, so I guess anything looks good by comparison.  :sly:

Nah, but really... this has always been one of my favorite tracks from this game. Love it.

Spark Of Spirit

Most underrated soundtrack on the SNES

Seriously, I think even Miyamoto wanted to know how they got that sound out of the SNES sound chip.

Brilliance... So good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Clanker's Cavern
Gobi's Valley

Was there ever a given reason why David Wise wasn't involved with Banjo-Kazooie? Probably not, I'd imagine. Well... nevertheless, Grant Kirkhope still did an admirable job on the music in his place. IMO, the soundtrack really suits the tone of this game to a tee.

Spark Of Spirit

Banjo Kazooie has probably my favorite non-Wise soundtrack of any Rare game. All the themes in that game were catchy as hell.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Rynnec on July 19, 2011, 05:47:24 PM
Wonder why he wasn't brought back for DKC Returns?

He left Rare in the fall of 2010, and DKC Returns was released mid-November of that year. There was practically no time for him to come on-board and work on it, but hopefully he can get a chance if a sequel is greenlit. The only problem is getting a guy based in Liverpool to relocate to Texas to work alongside Retro Studios.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on July 21, 2011, 05:49:19 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on July 19, 2011, 05:47:24 PM
Wonder why he wasn't brought back for DKC Returns?

He left Rare in the fall of 2010, and DKC Returns was released mid-November of that year. There was practically no time for him to come on-board and work on it, but hopefully he can get a chance if a sequel is greenlit. The only problem is getting a guy based in Liverpool to relocate to Texas to work alongside Retro Studios.
They need to just permanently hire the man. I know that's pure fanboyism talking, but fuck this man's talent is being utterly wasted.

The music to Returns simply didn't compare in any way.

Lord Dalek

Since I just watched La Illusioniste and am in a sad mood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_TRHgXtLGM

Kiddington

Sonic 3: Competition Select

Underrated track, IMO. Anyone know who composed this one? I assume it was either Howard Drossin or Jun Senoue, but I don't really know for sure.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on July 21, 2011, 09:14:04 PM
Sonic 3: Competition Select

Underrated track, IMO. Anyone know who composed this one? I assume it was either Howard Drossin or Jun Senoue, but I don't really know for sure.
Could have been MJ.  :sly:

Seriously though, S3&K probably contains my favorite soundtrack of the era.

Even the multiplayer tracks are underrated

Kiddington

Hah! Yeah, I thought about that... but honestly, I had MJ's work on S3K pretty much pegged down to Carnival Night/Ice Cap/S3's original end credits. The one I posted doesn't really have his trademark sound bits in it like those other three.

...anyway, good choice on Balloon Park. I love all of the competition tracks myself, and Azure Lake might just be my favorite.

Spark Of Spirit

He might have had a hand in Launch Base, too. It sounds a lot like something he would do. As for S3&K as whole, I was always disappointed we never got an ending medley like we got for Sonic 1 and 2 for the entire game. That would have been nuts.

As for underrated Sonic tracks in general, well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOEOg3Xmtdo

Not a fan of the game, but I'm glad they eventually got it in a good Sonic game.

Kiddington

Sonic 3D Blast had an excellent soundtrack. I still hold to the opinion that the game is criminally underrated (in the sense that almost everyone hates it... whereas I've always kinda liked it, despite its quirks  :awesome:), but the music is truly where it shines.

This is beautiful. And this. And this. And this... alright, you get the idea. I absolutely love the soundtrack for this game.

gunswordfist

I heard one of Saturn 3D Blast's themes and freaked. Such great sound quality
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Kiddington on July 22, 2011, 04:17:40 PM
Sonic 3D Blast had an excellent soundtrack. I still hold to the opinion that the game is criminally underrated (in the sense that almost everyone hates it... whereas I've always kinda liked it, despite its quirks  :awesome:), but the music is truly where it shines.

This is beautiful. And this. And this. And this... alright, you get the idea. I absolutely love the soundtrack for this game.

Yeah, I gotta admit it had a good soundtrack, even though it wasn't on the level of the early main games. Still, I remember often times, as a kid, just turning on the game and going immediately to "Sound Test"... So that should say what I think about the main game. :P